Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 10:13 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times

Advertisements

Oh okay, well I read about the book and they seemed to go more into the Warriors family upbringing troubles, and I thought that could have been interesting. I wasn't going by the rape and actually forgot about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 10:17 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay, well I read about the book and they seemed to go more into the Warriors family upbringing troubles, and I thought that could have been interesting. I wasn't going by the rape and actually forgot about it.
I read a few pages and they were already raping or talking about raping someone. It was just so violent. It may have been someone’s reality, but it was so different from the movie that I was disappointed. Like I said, I didn’t give a chance. I should probably pick it up again.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:37 PM

Oh okay. The problem I had with the movie is I felt it lacked focus and introduced things that they forgot to pay off, such as the woman cop on the bench, etc.

But there is no denying that the movie looks great and has a fun atmosphere, when it comes to New York night gang life, so it's a mixed bag for me.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:02 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Oh okay. The problem I had with the movie is I felt it lacked focus and introduced things that they forgot to pay off, such as the woman cop on the bench, etc.

But there is no denying that the movie looks great and has a fun atmosphere, when it comes to New York night gang life, so it's a mixed bag for me.
That woman on the bench was their nod to the book. They couldn’t have an unrepentant rape, but they could allude to the gang members (or at least one) being open to it. It was another obstacle to getting home. As for why she was out there trying to catch rapists, who knows? Maybe they did sting operations like that back then. I know they did a lot of sting operations on prostitution. Even though it smacks of entrapment, I don’t have any sympathy for rapists. It’s kind of a brilliant way to catch a serial rapist if they’re terrorizing the park.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:30 AM

But the problem with this park entrapment scene is, is that the it doesn't go anywhere in the story. I haven't read the book, but in the movie, the character is arrested and completely forgotten about after, which makes the character seem unnecessary to the story, if he is just going to be taken away and completely forgotten about.

I mean imagine if in The Godfather for example, Sonny tries to commit rape on some random character who has nothing to do with the rest of the story, and is caught in the act and arrested and we never hear from him again for the entire last half of the movie?

It would feel like what was the point of having that character at all, wouldn't it?

Old 05-05-2018, 09:15 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Quote:
But the problem with this park entrapment scene is, is that the it doesn't go anywhere in the story. I haven't read the book, but in the movie, the character is arrested and completely forgotten about after, which makes the character seem unnecessary to the story, if he is just going to be taken away and completely forgotten about.

I mean imagine if in The Godfather for example, Sonny tries to commit rape on some random character who has nothing to do with the rest of the story, and is caught in the act and arrested and we never hear from him again for the entire last half of the movie?

It would feel like what was the point of having that character at all, wouldn't it?
No, it's an example of a primary character meeting an early demise. Ajax was one of the toughest but he was also the most arrogant and cocksure. His arrest was his comeuppance (I doubt he had a small rap sheet), but his absence also made things a little harder for the rest of the Warriors. Ajax could easily hold his own and cover for Cowboy and even Rembrandt, but having to make do without him made things a little more interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies