Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 09:35 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times

Advertisements

Following on the heels of the "what happened to the western" thread, I've always wondered what happened to the high school movie (Ferris Bueller, Clueless, Breakfast Club, American Pie, etc.) and why the younger generations seem to lack interest in them. "Sick lit" movies and dystopian films seem to be all the rage among younger Millenials and Gen Zers. What do you think happened? Does the Breakfast Club seem as outdated to today's teens as the Western seemed to teens a generation ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 09:44 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Aside from something like Lady Bird or Eighth Grade, Netflix seems to be coming out with a bunch of them: Love, Simon, To All Boys I've Loved Before, Sierra Burgess is a Loser, Kissing Booth, etc.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Aside from something like Lady Bird or Eighth Grade, Netflix seems to be coming out with a bunch of them: Love, Simon, To All Boys I've Loved Before, Sierra Burgess is a Loser, Kissing Booth, etc.
That's true. There's also On My Block.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpjBGekX14E

Old 09-20-2018, 01:19 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Love, Simon isn't a Netflix original. It was released in theaters. Although you might be thinking of Alex Strangelove, which is Netflix.

There are also still teen movies being released, some of the ones over the past 8 years:
  • The Duff
  • Me. Earl, and the Dying Girl
  • Paper Towns
  • Fault in Our Stars
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower
  • The Edge of Seventeen
  • Everything, Everything
  • If I Stay
  • Easy A
  • Blockers
  • The Spectacular Now

Old 09-21-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Love, Simon isn't a Netflix original. It was released in theaters. Although you might be thinking of Alex Strangelove, which is Netflix.

There are also still teen movies being released, some of the ones over the past 8 years:
  • The Duff
  • Me. Earl, and the Dying Girl
  • Paper Towns
  • Fault in Our Stars
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower
  • The Edge of Seventeen
  • Everything, Everything
  • If I Stay
  • Easy A
  • Blockers
  • The Spectacular Now
The Fault in Our Stars and Everything, Everything fall into the "sick lit" category and aren't really HS movies. The protagonist in Everything, Everything was supposedly too sick to even leave her home so it's definitely not a HS movie. When I say "high school movie," I mean a movie that is largely set in high school as opposed to a movie that's just centered on kids of high school age.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
When I say "high school movie," I mean a movie that is largely set in high school as opposed to a movie that's just centered on kids of high school age.
Case in point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI9fYsgduGE

Old 09-21-2018, 08:28 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
I agree with the other poster that said Netflix is filling that gap now. The Kissing Booth (an awful movie) and To All The Boys I've Loved Before (a wonderful movie) would fall into that category. TATBILB even mentions John Hughes movies. =)

Old 09-21-2018, 08:45 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The Fault in Our Stars and Everything, Everything fall into the "sick lit" category and aren't really HS movies. The protagonist in Everything, Everything was supposedly too sick to even leave her home so it's definitely not a HS movie. When I say "high school movie," I mean a movie that is largely set in high school as opposed to a movie that's just centered on kids of high school age.
So...

Love Simon
Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Duff
Easy A
The Edge of Seventeen
The Kissing Booth
To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Sierra Burgess is a Loser
Alex Strangelove
Lady Bird
The Spectacular Now
Paper Towns

Old 09-21-2018, 12:53 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,331,048 times
Slow times at Ridgemont High. My favorite was Stand and deliver. Mr Hollands Opus too.Must not be any money to be made in these type movies nowadays.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:29 PM

260 posts, read 324,283 times
"Easy A" doesn't really count.
Yes it was a box-office success, and had relatively positive reviews too. But it has become rather dated, and does not exactly reflect this new generation of teens (all of them Generation Z, BTW, the last Millennials graduated last school year). "Easy A" was more like a time capsule of Generation Y high-school life, in the late '00s.
Emma Stone's character mentions the actor John Cusack, who was still pretty big ~10 years ago (having the lead role in "2012", remember that one?), but has since gone the way of Michael Madsen and Eric Roberts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies