Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 09:36 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,074,213 times

Advertisements

It's considered to be one of Hitchcocks best movies, or so I've read, and I read that Hitchcock himself, said it was his personal favorite movie that he directed.

But I'm actually quite surprised as I did not find this movie to be very good. It's not terrible per say, but it feels like such an average thriller, with such an average thriller story, even compared to other Hitchcock thrillers for the time.

The cinematography looks really good and is perhaps the best I have seen for a Hitchcock movie, but I find that the rest of if it very average or below for him.

It also lacks a suspenseful climax I feel.

SPOILER

I feel that the main character should have killed the villain and that would have been far more exciting rather than the villain accidentally falling in front of a train. If feels like a deux ex machina almost, or a cop out even.

But what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 09:39 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,558,397 times
It shouldn't matter what others think, you saw the movie and you have your opinion. When are these threads going to stop ffs? Get a life ironpony.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:33 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,486,072 times
Installment #123 in the ongoing "I don't get why some people like movies that I don't like!" series...

Old 12-24-2018, 11:47 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
I agree. If the OP doesn't like a movie, so be it.

I'll just say this, one day on Facebook, one of my former students was talking about the most well known Hitchcock films, and I mentioned "Shadow Of A Doubt" as being perhaps my favorite. He'd never heard of it...went out and got a copy...came back saying that he could see why it deserved high praise.

But, to each his own. I hate "The Birds".

Old 12-24-2018, 03:15 PM

1,584 posts, read 982,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree. If the OP doesn't like a movie, so be it.

I'll just say this, one day on Facebook, one of my former students was talking about the most well known Hitchcock films, and I mentioned "Shadow Of A Doubt" as being perhaps my favorite. He'd never heard of it...went out and got a copy...came back saying that he could see why it deserved high praise.

But, to each his own. I hate "The Birds".
Agreed 100% on “The Birds.” Other than the bird attack scenes and the tense ending walk through, there’s nothing worth watching in the film for me. The leads in particular are vapid and irritating, and the film goes utterly nowhere until the bird attacks begin.

Much as I love many of Hitchcock’s films, he doesn’t get it right every time — and I dislike his late work (starting with “Psycho”) except for “Frenzy,” which is a fine but harrowing flick.

YMMV, of course.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:33 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post

Much as I love many of Hitchcock’s films, he doesn’t get it right every time — and I dislike his late work (starting with “Psycho”) ...
My feeling exactly.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
If you want a good Hitchcock movie, check out "Lifeboat."

Old 12-24-2018, 04:58 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,074,213 times
When it comes to Hitchcock movies my personal favorites include ones such as Vertigo, Dial M for Murder, Rear Window and Psycho.

Still want to see Lifeboat and looks interesting.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:34 PM

24,421 posts, read 23,084,509 times
If we're discussing old films, one that I always think about is " Twelve Angry Men". I am always left wondering if the accused was innocent or guilty. I think he may have been guilty, but I guess the whole premise was to prove there was reasonable doubt as to whether he was or not and how the jury was forced to come to that conclusion.
But I've always wanted somebody to do a comedic edit of that films ending and have a newspaper headline read " Defendant found not guilty arrested again for murder. Jury condemned for its verdict after one juror found to be insane( Henry Fonda's picture).
That movie is also begging to be redone as a comedy.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:45 AM

1,584 posts, read 982,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
If we're discussing old films, one that I always think about is " Twelve Angry Men". I am always left wondering if the accused was innocent or guilty. I think he may have been guilty, but I guess the whole premise was to prove there was reasonable doubt as to whether he was or not and how the jury was forced to come to that conclusion.
But I've always wanted somebody to do a comedic edit of that films ending and have a newspaper headline read " Defendant found not guilty arrested again for murder. Jury condemned for its verdict after one juror found to be insane( Henry Fonda's picture).
That movie is also begging to be redone as a comedy.
There was an episode of the TV show “That Girl” which more or less does this. Heroine Anne Marie is on a jury and slowly convinces all the jurors in an assault case that the guy who hit his wife with an ashtray is innocent. They return a “not guilty” verdict but are shown to be horribly wrong when the defendant hits his wife again in court while she’s loudly protesting the unfairness of the decision. If memory serves, Marie’s final line is “The old backhand technique” or something like that. It’s called “Eleven Angry Men and That Girl.”

Played straight in the Matlock episode “The Juror.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies