Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 10:53 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times

Advertisements

I forgot to add......"DAS BOOT"; a great German War movie....IMHO about the best war movie ever made...it puts the audience into an awkward and precarious "position"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNMhyl3t0fU .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 01:40 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I love "The Seventh Seal" and I am so glad someone mentioned it as most people I know have never even heard of it and those who have seen it hated it. I thought it was brilliant.
I loved it for its lyricism. It's very eloquent at times. One of my favorite pieces of dialogue of all time, and from any genre of cinema, is from the scene where Antonius Block confesses to Death disguised as a priest.

This clip form youtube shows it. It's the scene from 2:30 to 6:35.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9mcT...eature=related

Old 12-10-2009, 01:49 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,293,158 times
I'm not really sure if some consider this "foreign" but I really like "Rudo y Cursi" especially this part

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKZAWvs9qpY

Old 12-10-2009, 11:01 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon & Eat, Drink, Man, Woman by Ang Lee
House of Flying Daggers by Zhang Yimou
The Cup (Phorpa) by Khyentse Norbu
The Flowers of St. Francis by Roberto Rosselini
The Sorrow and the Pity by Marcel Ophuls

Although that's mostly offhand and there are many foreign films I'd like to see.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:11 PM

179 posts, read 295,116 times
I'm a huge Akira Kurosawa fan and I like most of his films (seen them all literally) but the standout one for me was "High and Low" and "Seven Samurai" (of course). Oh and lets not forget "Ikiru"

Old 12-11-2009, 05:16 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,852 times
Just watched Eyes Without A Face and was pleasantly surprised by how well the "surgical" scene actually worked, especially considering its age. Oh, and could they have had the daughter wear a creepier mask??

Another one of my foreign faves is The Wind that Shakes the Barley. Great Irish film.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:03 AM

44 posts, read 59,633 times
Some of my favorite foreign language movies:

German:
(1) Bella Martha (Mostly Martha)
(2) Der Krieger und die Kaiserin (The princess and the warrior)
(3) Lola rennt (Run Lola Run)

French:
(4) Un coeur en hiver (A heart in winter)
(5) La doublure (The Valet)
(6) Apres Vous (After you)
(7) Le placard (The closet) - extremely funny movie
(8) Ne Le Dis a personne (Tell no one)
(9) Amelie
(10) 8 femmes (8 women)
(11) Trois couleurs: Rouge (Three colors: Red)

Spanish:
(12) Amores Perros (Love's a b*#ch)
(13) La mala educacion (Bad education)
(14) Volver (To return)
(15) Hable con ella (Talk to her)
(16) Abre los ojos (Open your eyes)
(17) Mar adentro (The sea inside) - Very, very sad movie; not for the sensitive. This was the movie where I saw, for the first time, the acting powerhouse that is Javier Bardem.
(18) Y Tu Mama Tambien (And your mother too) - I didn't really care about the plot, just wanted to see that girl - Maribel Verdu.

Korean:
(19) Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom (Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring) - I saw this quite a while ago. Brilliant cinematography, just brilliant movie based on Buddhist philosophy of the cycle of life. And if I remember correctly, *not one word spoken by any actor*.

Multi-language:
(20) Monsieur Ibrahim (French/Turkish)
(21) Babel (English, Arabic, Spanish, French, Japanese, Berber)
(22) No Man's Land (English, French, Bosnian, German)
(23) Trzy kolori: Bialy (Three colors: White - Polish, French, Russian, English)
(24) Trois couleurs: Bleu (Three colors: Blue - French, Romanian, Polish)

I had heard a lot about Krzysztof Kieslowski and had to watch his "Three colors" trilogy.

(25) Yi Yi (One and a two - Mandarin, Taiwanese, Hokkien, English, Japanese) - Japanese actor Issei Ogata had a short but charismatic role as "Ota". Even after all these years, I remember one of his lines - "Why are we afraid of trying out something new ? Are we afraid of getting out of bed every morning ?"

(26) Baran (Dari, Persian) - Had to see this because of Majid Majidi's fame as a director. Cute little love story, great cinematography, and quite a different culture. It's like a totally different world.

These are the ones I could remember on the top of my head.
The Chinese and other South East Asian movies that I've seen and liked are too many to list here.

budweiser

Old 12-20-2009, 06:00 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budweiser View Post
(24) Trois couleurs: Bleu (Three colors: Blue - French, Romanian, Polish)

I had heard a lot about Krzysztof Kieslowski and had to watch his "Three colors" trilogy.
Watch The Double Life of Véronique if you have the chance. I think you'll like it.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:59 AM

44 posts, read 59,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
Watch The Double Life of Véronique if you have the chance. I think you'll like it.
Thanks for the suggestion, noela. I did a quick search and found that this DVD is not present in my local library.
I am in the process of moving nearer to my office next month, and my ritual is to re-subscribe to my Netflix membership everytime I move. So I guess I'll revisit European cinema soon enough.

On my list is Sergei Bodrov's "Mongol" as well, that I just missed due to my work pressure over here.

budweiser

Old 12-21-2009, 10:40 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budweiser View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, noela. I did a quick search and found that this DVD is not present in my local library.
I am in the process of moving nearer to my office next month, and my ritual is to re-subscribe to my Netflix membership everytime I move. So I guess I'll revisit European cinema soon enough.

On my list is Sergei Bodrov's "Mongol" as well, that I just missed due to my work pressure over here.

budweiser
I thought "Mongol" was a wonderful movie and the cinematography was exquisite. It is supposed to be a trilogy but I am still wondering when the second "instalment" will be released ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies