Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 06:14 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,971,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The modern world is more Huxleyan than Orwellian. The one area where I see Orwell's prophecy coming true is in the manipulation of language.
Ex-NSA Technical Director Bill Binney explains that our government is collecting information on everything that we do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjHs-E2e2V4

This is what hunters do prior to hunting - collect information on the hunted. Soldiers call it reconnaissance. It enables an incarceration rate that is five times larger than during the Carter years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaPBcUUqbew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 10:59 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,630,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I would actually say the government is allowing society to be more free now than before, and people it seems that there is less censorship nowadays, as far as free speech is concerned, and they are free to a do lot more sexually, compared to before, when things like homosexuality was illegal at one time.

So I thought things are more free now, compared to some sort of Orwellian restricted government coming into place, unless I'm wrong.
I do agree with you on the 'sexual revolution', its fairly popular to do your own thing today, things like homosexuality and interracial are totally accepted today, when not that long ago, they were the total opposite.

I think this trend will continue, 'preferences' that are taboo or even illegal today, will be accepted later on, its bound to happen actually, history proves this.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:03 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,505,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, if you are talking about hovering cars, like seen in Star wars, The fifth element, etc, those kinds of vehicles are possible, but unfortunately the technology is restricted. Tesla had plans for vehicles like this that could be powered by a type of 'power WIFI' on demand (Wardenclyffe towers), but it was classified and sealed up.(no way to run it thru a 'meter').

India has history with their 'Vimanhas' vehicles that are basically flying/hovering cars, they even have detailed information on how they are made and how they operate....but there is a reason people in India do not have them!

Its kind of funny, all those older 'this is how the future will be' technology type predictions, none of them ever considered that the technology would be suppressed or withheld from the general public (for profits sake of course).
Yeah I read about them as well. Interesting concept. I'm not sure if there is any evidence for their existence though.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:16 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,630,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Yeah I read about them as well. Interesting concept. I'm not sure if there is any evidence for their existence though.
They would be a HUGE threat the global economy, oil and gas industry. It really does reach the level of 'threat to national security' to keep this kind of technology secret/withheld from the public....Just imagine if NO ONE had to buy fuel for their vehicles anymore, that would be a domino effect on the world economy.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:41 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,699,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Book morphed into real life: 1984
Unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
In 1984, Oceania is a totalitarian state where all political parties other than The Party are banned. Criticism of the government is not allowed. Private enterprise is banned. Sex is unlawful except for procreation. Communication within Ocean is heavily curtailed to isolate the population.
Indeed, the very fact that you can imply that the government is Orwellian and not be arrested and hauled away demonstrates that it is not Orwellian.
Excuse me, but you can cherry-pick any speculative fiction - but this doesn't disprove the point. Possibly the over-riding elements were the constant surveillance and the manipulation of "facts." Both of which are happening now.

Quote:
The modern world is more Huxleyan than Orwellian. The one area where I see Orwell's prophecy coming true is in the manipulation of language.
I've re-read Brave New World recently, and was definitely struck by things that I'd forgotten from my earlier readings. Both are very worthwhile.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:44 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,158,059 times
The Israelis have been doing this at airports for a while now.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:02 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,077,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I do agree with you on the 'sexual revolution', its fairly popular to do your own thing today, things like homosexuality and interracial are totally accepted today, when not that long ago, they were the total opposite.

I think this trend will continue, 'preferences' that are taboo or even illegal today, will be accepted later on, its bound to happen actually, history proves this.
You know what might be a good idea for a movie, is one where in a futuristic society, people are too free to do what they want, and necrophilia, pedophilia, and bestiality, are totally legal, but a small rebel group wants to organize a new government to make it all illegal again and restore some degree of decency to society again.

But no one wants to make a movie with a subversive take on that, it seems.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:13 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,715,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
In 1984, Oceania is a totalitarian state where all political parties other than The Party are banned. Criticism of the government is not allowed. Private enterprise is banned. Sex is unlawful except for procreation. Communication within Ocean is heavily curtailed to isolate the population.

Indeed, the very fact that you can imply that the government is Orwellian and not be arrested and hauled away demonstrates that it is not Orwellian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Excuse me, but you can cherry-pick any speculative fiction - but this doesn't disprove the point. Possibly the over-riding elements were the constant surveillance and the manipulation of "facts." Both of which are happening now.
No, excuse me.

Cherry-picking? Seriously?

Let me repeat:
In 1984, there is a totalitarian government. It controls all manner of personal conduct, from sex to criticism of the government (totally forbidden). Travel is curtailed (like it was in the USSR - hint: 1984 was in large part a commentary on Stalin's USSR). Again, private enterprise was banned. Do you see any of that in modern American governance?

But you say "Well, surveillance has increased!". No kidding. Camera technology has advanced. Cameras are everywhere. And the overwhelming majority of them are in the hands of private citizens, or businesses. That is not what 1984 depicted. Do you really think your television is a two-way camera, and some government employee is using it to spy in you while you watch Game of Thrones? That's 1984. There's cherry-picking here, all right, and it's by you. Your entire take-away from 1984 appears to be camera-technology-advances-and-becomes-ubiquitous. If that's the case, I'd suggest reading it again.

Aside from that, let's compare 1948 (the year 1984 was published) to today:

In 1948, the Hays Code was in effect. You could not see a movie that had a naughty word. Or that depicted criminals 'getting away with it'. Or race-mixing. Or ... well, a long laundry list of forbidden topics that society was deemed unfit to be exposed to. And today? The Hays Code is long gone.

In 1948, if you tried to import Lady Chatterly's Lover or Tropic of Cancer or myriad other books deemed obscene, you could be criminally prosecuted. Supreme Court rulings in the late 1950s and 1960s swept those laws aside. All manner of private sexual conduct in 1948 - use of birth control, same-sex activity, interracial relationships, even cohabitation - was illegal in many jurisdictions. Today, all those 1984-esque prohibitions are gone.

In the era of 1948 we had HUAC, where you might be dragged before Congress if your political affiliations weren't deemed 'proper'. You might criminally prosecuted for belonging to the wrong political party (google 'Smith Act trials' for more on this). Not today.

All of those things are right out of 1984.

"But... but... cameras!"

Seriously?

Old 04-15-2019, 03:27 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,149,676 times
Quote:
I wish more science fiction movies would prove themselves prescient. I want my flying car and formidable helmet!
I wanted a Star Trek teleporter, a light saber and some fine spice from Dune but didn't get it either.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:47 AM

22,932 posts, read 28,310,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
You know what might be a good idea for a movie, is one where in a futuristic society, people are too free to do what they want, and necrophilia, pedophilia, and bestiality, are totally legal, but a small rebel group wants to organize a new government to make it all illegal again and restore some degree of decency to society again.
Don't you judge me! Tolerance means you have to affirm me in my okayness, no matter what I choose to do. Ban the bigotry! No more hate! Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ukak8P2vY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies