Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 08:55 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,979,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I have seen numerous youtube videos about 'The Hurt Locker' being totally inaccurate nonsense, some of them by people who actually served in US bomb disposal.

Whilst historians just shake their heads at the likes of 'Braveheart', William Wallace was nothing like he was potrayed, indeed this was a man who had a belt made out of the skin of his enemies. Whilst another one of Mel Gibsons films 'The Patriot' has also been labelled a load of nonsene by many historians.

I understand that Hollywood is about entertainment, however mixing fact and fiction and presenting it as the truth, just makes Hollywood itself look laughable and stupid.
It is quite common for historians to see past events in an entirely different light Much as a couple may view the same event and walk with entirely different interpretations.

Much as I love history - is it paramount that movies depict history as accurately as possible? I also have reason to believe that much of history has either been whitewashed or covered up - due to making important people "uncomfortable".

Now my question is how did George Orwell manage to write our Operations Manual ~80 years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 10:54 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,672,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
It is quite common for historians to see past events in an entirely different light Much as a couple may view the same event and walk with entirely different interpretations.

Much as I love history - is it paramount that movies depict history as accurately as possible? I also have reason to believe that much of history has either been whitewashed or covered up - due to making important people "uncomfortable".

Now my question is how did George Orwell manage to write our Operations Manual ~80 years ago?
Yes, I have to admit, its almost like Orwell saw the future back then!! It is UNCANNY and actually eerie how accurate 1984 was/is.

Im somewhat surprised '1984' has not been blacklisted or banned today.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:02 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,979,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes, I have to admit, its almost like Orwell saw the future back then!! It is UNCANNY and actually eerie how accurate 1984 was/is.

Im somewhat surprised '1984' has not been blacklisted or banned today.
Ingsoc likes to have plenty of back up copies of their operations manual lest they lose theirs.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:49 PM

17,665 posts, read 17,822,415 times
when a movie is based upon a historical event a hundred years or more in the past I’m willing to let more historical inaccuracies slide. What I can’t forgive is when they get the factual information wrong for more recent historical events especially when there are so much documented evidence of what actually happened (video, photos, and official reports). Sure much of the dialog and personal interactions are made up by the writers and production staff but those key points of historical facts should not be altered.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:25 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,886,293 times
Hmm. According to the article, the choice of "50 worst" is base on critic and audience approval ratings, not on historical accuracy.

Quote:
To determine the worst movies based on true stories, 24/7 Tempo ranked films within the biography genre and those tagged on IMDb as being “based on a true story.” For each movie, we considered the Rotten Tomatoes average critic rating, Rotten Tomatoes’ average audience rating, and IMDb average user rating.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:26 PM

108 posts, read 56,934 times
Oh I loved Argo. thought it was fantastic to be quite honest

Old 05-16-2019, 07:09 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,085,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I have seen numerous youtube videos about 'The Hurt Locker' being totally inaccurate nonsense, some of them by people who actually served in US bomb disposal.

Whilst historians just shake their heads at the likes of 'Braveheart', William Wallace was nothing like he was potrayed, indeed this was a man who had a belt made out of the skin of his enemies. Whilst another one of Mel Gibsons films 'The Patriot' has also been labelled a load of nonsene by many historians.

I understand that Hollywood is about entertainment, however mixing fact and fiction and presenting it as the truth, just makes Hollywood itself look laughable and stupid.
Why didn't they portray Wallace making a belt out of his enemies, did they think it would be too controversial?

SPOILER FROM BRAVEHEART

He mailed a decapitated to his enemy of his nephew, if I remember correct, so why would making a belt be any worse to portray?

Old 05-17-2019, 03:12 AM

27,381 posts, read 13,619,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Why didn't they portray Wallace making a belt out of his enemies, did they think it would be too controversial?

SPOILER FROM BRAVEHEART

He mailed a decapitated to his enemy of his nephew, if I remember correct, so why would making a belt be any worse to portray?
I don't think that happened either, the truth is the entire movie is largely made up Hollywood nonsense from begining to end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

Verdict

Seemingly intended as a piece of anti-English propaganda, Braveheart offers an even greater insult to Scotland by making a total pig's ear of its heritage. "Historians from England will say I am a liar," intones the voiceover, "but history is written by those who have hanged heroes." Well, that's me told: but, regardless of whether you read English or Scottish historians on the matter, Braveheart still serves up a great big steaming haggis of lies.

Braveheart: dancing peasants, gleaming teeth and a cameo from Fabio - The Guardian

Braveheart - Scottish History

All the Historical Inaccuracies in Braveheart We Just Can't Ignore

Why Braveheart is wrong about Scottish history, in 3 clips - Vox
As for 'The Patriot' -

The Patriot: more flag-waving rot with Mel Gibson | Film | The Guardian

'The Patriot,' 2000 | Top 10 Historically Misleading Films | TIME.com

Cynical, demeaning and violent rubbish | The Independent

'The Hurt Locker' -

The Hurt Locker: Inaccurate and Disrespectful | HuffPost

Veterans: Why 'The Hurt Locker' Isn't Reality - Newsweek

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-17-2019 at 03:29 AM..

Old 05-18-2019, 10:28 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,085,890 times
Oh ok what about The Battle of Algiers?

Does that belong in the same category of made up history such as Braveheart and The Patriot since it's based on true events, but a fictional story carries them along?

I thought movies like Braveheart and The Patriot were fictional stories set in real wars, to portray certain themes, themes of freedom fighting. So they used a fictional story in a real historic setting to dramatize that theme, kind of like The Battle of Algiers?

Old 05-19-2019, 09:06 AM

1,300 posts, read 965,452 times
Does the OP mean worst regarding historical accuracy or quality of movie? Braveheart and Gladiator were both inaccurate but good movies.

I think Alexander 2004, starring Colin Farrell fails miserably in both regards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies