Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 12:37 PM

740 posts, read 457,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What do you feel are some of the worst movies based on actual events?

Off the top of my head I can think of two.

One is the 2012 Ben Affleck movie Argo. The movie was actually a good box office performer, and was also a critic's darling that won the Academy Award for best picture that year (and was Roger Ebert's favorite movie of the year).

I actually hated it because Mr. Affleck felt it necessary to insert fictional sequences in order to up the suspense level. Like the entire ending sequence with the guards chasing after the people all the way to the runway. I rolled my eyes at that. It's almost as if they felt the true story was not riveting enough without sticking in tired cliches to make it more 'thrilling.' Stupid.

And similarly, Marky Mark's Lone Survivor was also a manipulatively cliche movie that ended with an absolutely ludicrous and totally fictional action shootout sequence. How the real life lone survivor approved this nonsense is beyond me.

50 Worst Movies Based on True Events

The guy who save the Marcus Luttrell stated that the story of the Lone Survivor was extremely overplayed and over dramatic. In fact his version of how it happened did not even come close to Marcus Luttrell's story, especially about the enemy forces. Marcus got all butt hurt about it and turned his back on the guy who saved his life. Fortunately, he was able to come to the US after alot of strings were pulled but currently struggling to make ends meet in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 10:40 PM

2,448 posts, read 895,257 times
Difficult to beat JFK in this category.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:06 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,074,874 times
JFK is a unique example, cause it's about conspiracy theories of a real life murder, but other filmmakers are never interested in making conspiracy theory movies on real life historical crimes. For example, a lot of people that O.J. Simpson didn't do it, but no one wants to make a movie, that say that anyone else did it, and a lot of people believe in 9/11 conspiracies, but no one wants to make a movie about those.

Do you think if they made movies about other conspiracy theories, in real life history crimes, that they would not do well, compared to JFK?

Old 05-20-2019, 04:49 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,958,144 times
I found Munich boring as all hell.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:13 PM

740 posts, read 457,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I found Munich boring as all hell.

I'm glad that my wife and I weren't the only ones.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:14 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,958,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
I'm glad that my wife and I weren't the only ones.
I think I slept in the theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies