Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 03:14 PM

26,288 posts, read 49,214,254 times

Advertisements

Watched it last night on Cox cable, rental at $5.99

I had a hard time understanding the dialog, much of it was unintelligible, so consider using closed caption to have a chance of getting the gist of the dialog.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 03:35 PM

131,139 posts, read 12,255,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Also, they SELF IDENTIFIED as either Roman Catholic or Protestant, and THEY made it about religious conflict. So I'd say it was a religious conflict.
No it was civil rights. Around the same time civil rights protests were taking place in the USA. Some protestant companies would not employ Catholics, you can google the police (Unionists) violence against Catholics. It was not a simple issue of religion.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...thern-ireland/

Last edited by evening sun; 03-13-2022 at 03:48 PM..

Old 03-13-2022, 03:51 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Watched it last night on Cox cable, rental at $5.99

I had a hard time understanding the dialog, much of it was unintelligible, so consider using closed caption to have a chance of getting the gist of the dialog.
I saw it last week at the movies, here that is the only way to see it right now.

I enjoyed it but struggled with some of the accents. I have hearing aids but took quite a while to tune in to the accents.

I do recall going to a church here a couple of times connected to the Northern Irish Protestants. I remember, at the age of seventeen, being totally shocked at the anti Catholic preaching, and at that stage I had not a friend or relative who was Catholic (we have a large Catholic school system here) So I think there were certainly religious issues for some people there.

What I enjoyed was seeing the classroom and the school. Only last week my grandson, aged seven, gave a talk about what was different when Grandma went to school. I had been telling him about the desks nailed down, us being lined up every week according to our test results. He was fascinated by the idea of inkwells, of all things, and having ink monitors. Cannot remember if the desks in the movie had an inkwell! But gosh the classroom brought back memories.

Old 03-13-2022, 04:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,270,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
No it was civil rights. Around the same time civil rights protests were taking place in the USA. Some protestant companies would not employ Catholics, you can google the police (Unionists) violence against Catholics. It was not a simple issue of religion.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...thern-ireland/
I didn't say it was a simple issue. I said it was a religious conflict.

Old 03-14-2022, 05:51 AM

27,446 posts, read 13,673,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Also, they SELF IDENTIFIED as either Roman Catholic or Protestant, and THEY made it about religious conflict. So I'd say it was a religious conflict.
The film chronicles the life of a working-class Ulster Protestant family from the perspective of their nine-year-old son during The Troubles in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

The film is based on Sir Kenneth Branagh's childhood in Belfast.

Belfast (film) - Plot - Wikipedia

The recent BAFTA's usually give some indication as to possible Academy Awards (Oscar) winners.

Dune was awrded five BAFTA's

CODA, The Power of the Dog and West Side Story all received two BAFTA Awards.

Belfast was awarded a single BAFTA for 'Outstanding British Film', a category that doesn't exist in the Academy Awards.

75th British Academy Film Awards - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-14-2022 at 06:07 AM..

Old 03-14-2022, 06:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,270,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The film chronicles the life of a working-class Ulster Protestant family from the perspective of their nine-year-old son during The Troubles in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

The film is based on Sir Kenneth Branagh's childhood in Belfast.

Belfast (film) - Plot - Wikipedia

The recent BAFTA's usually give some indication as to possible Academy Awards (Oscar) winners.

Dune was awrded five BAFTA's

CODA, The Power of the Dog and West Side Story all received two BAFTA Awards.

Belfast was awarded a single BAFTA for 'Outstanding British Film', a category that doesn't exist in the Academy Awards.

75th British Academy Film Awards - Wikipedia
Right - thanks for that but I did already know that. I love me some Kenneth Branagh.

Not sure why you responded to my comment but thanks for the sources!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies