Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 09:15 AM

22,923 posts, read 28,293,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I had to wait until we got cable in 1980 before I saw any rated R movies, such as Jaws.
JAWS was actually rated PG. But back in the '70s, a PG-rated movies still had teeth. Pun intended.

The way movies are rated has only gotten more stupid. In JAWS, a little boy gets ripped apart by a shark. We literally see spurts of blood. Quint goes into the shark's gullet, screaming and spurting blood the whole time. Rated PG!

But in STAND BY ME, the kids smoked cigarettes and dropped an occasional F-bomb. That gets an R-rating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 09:24 AM

1,140 posts, read 620,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
JAWS was actually rated PG. But back in the '70s, a PG-rated movies still had teeth. Pun intended.

The way movies are rated has only gotten more stupid. In JAWS, a little boy gets ripped apart by a shark. We literally see spurts of blood. Quint goes into the shark's gullet, screaming and spurting blood the whole time. Rated PG!

But in STAND BY ME, the kids smoked cigarettes and dropped an occasional F-bomb. That gets an R-rating.
STAND BY ME... the whole thing was an adventure of who gets to a "dead body" first. The whole movie was relatively dark, interspersed with "light hearted" moments.

I loved the movie, easily in the Top 10 of all times for content and characters. But I can see how some "sensitive" parents would not want their kids to see it. It's one of those movies where you will get ppl from both side of the line arguing it's no big deal... to no way I want it accessible to teens / kids. So I'm guessing at the time the execs played safe. Though rating R kills off a ton of $$$.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:50 AM

88,625 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL good times!

I remember reading the book first and that was scary enough but then I saw the movie and WOW. My dad took my brother and me to see the movie - we were preteens. It scared me to death. Then my dad snuck into my room that night and grabbed my foot and scared the absolute crap out of me! LOL
I read the book, too! So did my mother and one of my sisters, and then when I heard they were making a movie, we were very excited. Saw it with my mother the week it came out. We both yelled when the shark first comes up out of the water.

It has stood the test of time. My daughter, born in 1991, loves that movie, and so do most of her friends.

I agree with the people who say the CGI is so overdone now that it diminishes the good writing and acting of older films.

Also interesting is that long after the movie came out, a 12-year-old boy became fascinated with the story of the Indianapolis told by Quint, and he ended up finding survivors and eventually, they had a reunion and the kid got to go.

The opening scene scared me, with the girl swimming at night and the unseen creature yanking at her legs from below.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:55 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,133,761 times
Quote:

Yes, that surprises me that Jaws was only PG, and Stand By Me was rated R. Glad I was past the nightmare stage when big sis took me to Aliens, I read the book beforehand, and was quite prepared for the scene where the little critter pops out of the guy's chest. I laughed at that scene because I knew my sister would be freaked out, and she was, lol. I read the book The Shining, before seeing it on HBO, but was kind of disappointed that it did not follow the storyline in the book the way I expected, but still a great movie. I enjoyed the 3 part TV miniseries The Shinning very much, as it did follow the storyline much better where he's down in the basement talking to the spooks and keeping an eye on the furnace, and the hedge row critters, Pat Hingle was good in that, one of his last appearances on film.

Does anyone remember Landshark from SNL ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_NS2H55dxI

Old 08-22-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Glad I was past the nightmare stage when big sis took me to Aliens, I read the book beforehand, and was quite prepared for the scene where the little critter pops out of the guy's chest. I laughed at that scene because I knew my sister would be freaked out, and she was, lol.
Fun story: The author of the original screenplay, Dan O'Bannon, was at first very reluctant to go see the movie. I guess all the goings-on in the making of it left some hard feelings. Anyway, he finally decided to go to one of the first-week showing in Hollywood and was impressed at the crowd. Not being a major star, he had to stand in line, and the house lights had already gone down by the time he took his seat.

He loved the movie --- and particularly he loved the two little girls in the dark behind him that kept screaming at all the right parts.

After the movie, the house lights went up, Dan stood and turned around to see the two little girls behind him, a little afraid he might see them crying. It was Warren Beatty and Jack Nicholson.

Quote:
I read the book The Shining, before seeing it on HBO, but was kind of disappointed that it did not follow the storyline in the book the way I expected, but still a great movie. I enjoyed the 3 part TV miniseries The Shinning very much, as it did follow the storyline much better where he's down in the basement talking to the spooks and keeping an eye on the furnace, and the hedge row critters, Pat Hingle was good in that, one of his last appearances on film.
Yup. Kubrick's movie is a great example of establishing mood in a film. He used imagery and sound like no other director until Ridley Scott. A master at work. But the story itself? Kind of a letdown. The TV miniseries, while it certainly was no comparison to Kubrick's art, was actually a better story.

Quote:
Does anyone remember Landshark from SNL ?
Yes! My wife still sometimes uses it when the doorbell rings. She'll look at me and say, "Land shark?"

Old 08-22-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I read the book, too! So did my mother and one of my sisters, and then when I heard they were making a movie, we were very excited. Saw it with my mother the week it came out. We both yelled when the shark first comes up out of the water.

It has stood the test of time. My daughter, born in 1991, loves that movie, and so do most of her friends.

I agree with the people who say the CGI is so overdone now that it diminishes the good writing and acting of older films.

Also interesting is that long after the movie came out, a 12-year-old boy became fascinated with the story of the Indianapolis told by Quint, and he ended up finding survivors and eventually, they had a reunion and the kid got to go.

The opening scene scared me, with the girl swimming at night and the unseen creature yanking at her legs from below.
I've watched the movie a few times of course... but never read the book.

Did the movie follow the book faithfully?

I think I will pick it up and it will be my "boring Winter stay in" read.

Old 08-22-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I've watched the movie a few times of course... but never read the book.

Did the movie follow the book faithfully?
No. The book is actually quite terrible.

Spielberg actually has the best reaction to it I have ever read: "I wanted the shark to win."

Why? Because the characters are all so unlikeable. Chief Brody is a pathetic cuckold and a coward. Ellen Brody is despicable. Hooper is an entitled creep. Quint is a monster with no redeeming qualities at all. And the ending is a total anti-climax.

JAWS the movie is a classic.

The novel?

Old 08-22-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
No. The book is actually quite terrible.

Spielberg actually has the best reaction to it I have ever read: "I wanted the shark to win."

Why? Because the characters are all so unlikeable. Chief Brody is a pathetic cuckold and a coward. Ellen Brody is despicable. Hooper is an entitled creep. Quint is a monster with no redeeming qualities at all. And the ending is a total anti-climax.

JAWS the movie is a classic.

The novel?
Lol, oh boy. Okay maybe I may skip it :P

Old 08-22-2022, 09:22 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,133,761 times
Just finished watching ORCA, I can't believe all the bad reviews, Jaws only took out one boat, Orca not only wasted several boats, but he took out a house, he blew up a gasoline storage depot, he chewed a woman's leg off, he ate more people than Jaws. Jaws died, Orca survived and killed all his enemies, thus avenging the death of his pregnant mate.

Orca jumps higher out of the water allowing him to eat more people. Orca knows how to use tools, he pushed an iceberg into a boat and sank it in 30 seconds. Orca is a total winner, Jaws is a loser. The Orca cast has more intellectuals, kinder, gentler people whom understand killer whales and how to get killed by them, so the cast is more environmentally friendly and green. Orca has Will Sampson, the man whom played the Indian Chief in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and he actually talks in this one and lasts a long time, almost thru the entire film before Orca gives him his walking papers.

Clearly, Orca is a superior film, but did we get an Orca 2, an Orca 3....Nooooo, everyone says it's a rip off of Jaws and not good. Why is everyone so racist against killer whales? Why didn't Universal Studios replace the Jaws ride with a new Orca ride? Life is so unfair, not saying Jaws was a bad film, but Orca should get more respect.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Just finished watching ORCA, I can't believe all the bad reviews, Jaws only took out one boat, Orca not only wasted several boats, but he took out a house, he blew up a gasoline storage depot, he chewed a woman's leg off, he ate more people than Jaws. Jaws died, Orca survived and killed all his enemies, thus avenging the death of his pregnant mate.

Orca jumps higher out of the water allowing him to eat more people. Orca knows how to use tools, he pushed an iceberg into a boat and sank it in 30 seconds. Orca is a total winner, Jaws is a loser. The Orca cast has more intellectuals, kinder, gentler people whom understand killer whales and how to get killed by them, so the cast is more environmentally friendly and green. Orca has Will Sampson, the man whom played the Indian Chief in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and he actually talks in this one and lasts a long time, almost thru the entire film before Orca gives him his walking papers.

Clearly, Orca is a superior film, but did we get an Orca 2, an Orca 3....Nooooo, everyone says it's a rip off of Jaws and not good. Why is everyone so racist against killer whales? Why didn't Universal Studios replace the Jaws ride with a new Orca ride? Life is so unfair, not saying Jaws was a bad film, but Orca should get more respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies