Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 05:43 AM

22,961 posts, read 28,393,569 times

Advertisements

Saw JAWS in IMAX last night. If it's showing in your area, don't miss it. Seeing it on the big screen really impressed me with how beautifully shot and masterfully directed it is. It was the first time I had seen it on a big screen since the '70s, and I noticed so many things that I had never noticed before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 12:46 PM

512 posts, read 207,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Just finished watching ORCA, I can't believe all the bad reviews, Jaws only took out one boat, Orca not only wasted several boats, but he took out a house, he blew up a gasoline storage depot, he chewed a woman's leg off, he ate more people than Jaws. Jaws died, Orca survived and killed all his enemies, thus avenging the death of his pregnant mate.

Orca jumps higher out of the water allowing him to eat more people. Orca knows how to use tools, he pushed an iceberg into a boat and sank it in 30 seconds. Orca is a total winner, Jaws is a loser. The Orca cast has more intellectuals, kinder, gentler people whom understand killer whales and how to get killed by them, so the cast is more environmentally friendly and green. Orca has Will Sampson, the man whom played the Indian Chief in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and he actually talks in this one and lasts a long time, almost thru the entire film before Orca gives him his walking papers.

Clearly, Orca is a superior film, but did we get an Orca 2, an Orca 3....Nooooo, everyone says it's a rip off of Jaws and not good. Why is everyone so racist against killer whales? Why didn't Universal Studios replace the Jaws ride with a new Orca ride? Life is so unfair, not saying Jaws was a bad film, but Orca should get more respect.
Props for the mention of the late Will Sampson, an underrated and very good actor who shouldn't be forgotten. Scleroderma took him from us much too soon. Sampson's breakout role in Cuckoo is the one he'll be remembered for, but I find his limited screen time as Ten Bears in The Outlaw Josey Wales equally compelling.

As a kid, I loved Orca much more than Jaws. In Orca, humans are the villains, and the esteemed Richard Harris excelled at being one. Harris performed his own stunts at great peril in the film. (Was the film's premise far-fetched? Well, isn't that why we go to the movies? Orca isn't a documentary.)

Orca was a box office bomb, but it boasted an impressive cast (Harris, Sampson, Rampling, Wynn) and a sublime score by the legendary Ennio Morricone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHnQ1y6FkGc

Old 09-09-2022, 09:57 AM

23,657 posts, read 70,678,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiffuseGlow View Post
Props for the mention of the late Will Sampson, an underrated and very good actor who shouldn't be forgotten. Scleroderma took him from us much too soon. Sampson's breakout role in Cuckoo is the one he'll be remembered for, but I find his limited screen time as Ten Bears in The Outlaw Josey Wales equally compelling.

As a kid, I loved Orca much more than Jaws. In Orca, humans are the villains, and the esteemed Richard Harris excelled at being one. Harris performed his own stunts at great peril in the film. (Was the film's premise far-fetched? Well, isn't that why we go to the movies? Orca isn't a documentary.)

Orca was a box office bomb, but it boasted an impressive cast (Harris, Sampson, Rampling, Wynn) and a sublime score by the legendary Ennio Morricone.
It wasn't a bomb for lack of publicity. It had a huge advertising budget. I remember the lobby standee for it was huge, as big as the one for "Star Trek," if not bigger. "Jaws" just drove moviegoers away from the water.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:05 AM

1,174 posts, read 650,894 times
All this posting about Jaws and Orca makes me want to rewatch it in 8K and big screen... if that is even possible lol.

Didn't they make like a whole bunch of Orca movies after the original?

Old 09-09-2022, 11:36 AM

512 posts, read 207,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Didn't they make like a whole bunch of Orca movies after the original?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies