Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 09:11 AM

695 posts, read 286,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
No.

I don't know why the country is so wound up about this movie, this historical figure; perhaps someone can explain that to me why it is, what the hype about this movie is. What am I missing?
It's artificial. The "hype" is the studio marketing doing it's thing to ensure a profit for their chosen 2023 summer blockbuster. So you make a 3 hour biopic about a nuclear scientist and his project sound like Indiana Jones or Top Gun by using paid promotors and influencers quoting "stunning" and "shocking" in the months before release just to get the crowds worked up in anticipation.

Hey it's a business, the studio's are experts in this. Nolan is a talented director and I am sure the movie is well acted and directed. But from initial reviews after it's release from what is now the public and unpaid reviewers, it seems to be overlong and underwhelming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2023, 09:49 AM

2,024 posts, read 981,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiffuseGlow View Post
Have you ever been to a museum of fine art?
I bet not. But I bet they have a couple Thomas Kinkades

Old 07-22-2023, 10:04 AM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
It's artificial. The "hype" is the studio marketing doing it's thing to ensure a profit for their chosen 2023 summer blockbuster. So you make a 3 hour biopic about a nuclear scientist and his project sound like Indiana Jones or Top Gun by using paid promotors and influencers quoting "stunning" and "shocking" in the months before release just to get the crowds worked up in anticipation.

Hey it's a business, the studio's are experts in this. Nolan is a talented director and I am sure the movie is well acted and directed. But from initial reviews after it's release from what is now the public and unpaid reviewers, it seems to be overlong and underwhelming.
How do you explain the extremely high 8.9/10 IMDb rating by 69000 at last count mostly “public and unpaid reviewers"?:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15398776/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Last edited by karlsch; 07-22-2023 at 10:25 AM..

Old 07-22-2023, 10:46 AM

845 posts, read 552,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
How do you explain the extremely high 8.9/10 IMDb rating by 69000 at last count mostly “public and unpaid reviewers"?:

The early reviewers are probably enthusiasts.
A fact is four people on my row walked out in the middle of the film.

Maybe the reviews will be polarized.

Old 07-22-2023, 10:57 AM

501 posts, read 196,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
The early reviewers are probably enthusiasts.
Maybe. Positive (some overwhelmingly so) reviews are filing in on another message board I frequent, about as large but with a much more active film forum.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:39 AM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
A fact is four people on my row walked out in the middle of the film.
One anecdote proves nothing.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:42 AM

21,729 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:
Hey it's a business, the studio's are experts in this. Nolan is a talented director and I am sure the movie is well acted and directed. But from initial reviews after its release from what is now the public and unpaid reviewers, it seems to be overlong and underwhelming.
Your post doesn’t reflect reality. Or you’re referring to morons with limited attention span.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:52 AM

845 posts, read 552,289 times
Quote:
One anecdote proves nothing.
So please go watch it and come back to comment.
I did watch it.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:58 AM

695 posts, read 286,995 times
Quote:

An extremely high score for a movie that was only released only yesterday (at the time of this writing). Do I have to explain the obvious?

Look I am sure it's an excellent movie, but never underestimate the power of studio's to manipulate ratings. It's not going to be the "shocker" or "stunner" that the hype made it out to be.

Old 07-22-2023, 12:30 PM

501 posts, read 196,700 times
Quote:
Look I am sure it's an excellent movie, but never underestimate the power of studio's to manipulate ratings. It's not going to be the "shocker" or "stunner" that the hype made it out to be.
Yes, ratings do plateau, but the fact remains Nolan's works fill seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies