Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 05:03 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times

Advertisements

saw the trailer for American Fiction and I am going to pay to watch it tonight. Looks like a corker. I could use a good laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2024, 04:09 PM

5,009 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
saw the trailer for American Fiction and I am going to pay to watch it tonight. Looks like a corker. I could use a good laugh.
I saw the trailer as well and almost saw it in the theater, it looked so good. The stellar cast is a recommendation in and of itself.

Old 03-17-2024, 04:53 PM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I saw the trailer as well and almost saw it in the theater, it looked so good. The stellar cast is a recommendation in and of itself.
In another thread, I made some comments after watching it this morning. (I never watch movies on Sunday morning!!). The comments on the YouTube official trailer indicated people thought it was hilarious. me? not so much.
I think it would be best described as a drama, although it definitely had some laugh out loud funny parts.
I came away feeling sad by the whole premise of the screenplay. Black author can't seem to write a book that gets traction and is persuaded to wade in the dumbed down literary world where a stereotypical ghetto-type existence is lauded as literary genius. I felt sorry for the writer (Jeffrey Wright, such a great actor, as is the entire cast) because if this is the way it really is, well, who could deal with that?
I also thought it was a dig against 'white' literary agents (not that I know any) and their vacuous and stunted vision of what constitutes black culture and what the public will consume.
It reminded me of an episode of This is Us. Human frailties, family issues, real things that happen to people and not only because Sterling K. Brown was in it (amazing and funny character). Those parts were well done. It made me feel bad for us as a society.

Old 03-18-2024, 03:03 PM

5,009 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
In another thread, I made some comments after watching it this morning. (I never watch movies on Sunday morning!!). The comments on the YouTube official trailer indicated people thought it was hilarious. me? not so much.
I think it would be best described as a drama, although it definitely had some laugh out loud funny parts.
I came away feeling sad by the whole premise of the screenplay. Black author can't seem to write a book that gets traction and is persuaded to wade in the dumbed down literary world where a stereotypical ghetto-type existence is lauded as literary genius. I felt sorry for the writer (Jeffrey Wright, such a great actor, as is the entire cast) because if this is the way it really is, well, who could deal with that?
I also thought it was a dig against 'white' literary agents (not that I know any) and their vacuous and stunted vision of what constitutes black culture and what the public will consume.
It reminded me of an episode of This is Us. Human frailties, family issues, real things that happen to people and not only because Sterling K. Brown was in it (amazing and funny character). Those parts were well done. It made me feel bad for us as a society.
It sounds like it is a critique of U.S. culture, which never makes anyone feel good. Sounds like it would be a better film if it were funnier or more of a satire.

Thank you for making me feel better about waiting for it to stream

Old 03-19-2024, 07:19 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,635 times
Quote:
It was a mistake for people and media to describe it as a funny movie. It is not. It has funny bits, sad bits, bit of mild pathos and bit of ordinary life all rolled into one.

I don't think he failed initially because he was a black writer. He failed because he wrote books no one was interested in reading. The same thing would have occurred to a white writer too. When he wrote about stereotypes he succeeded beyond his wildest dreams. And whether it is fair or not, a black writer is unlikely to become popular and sustain himself if he does not appeal to a non-black audience. There are not enough black readers to make books by black readers successful. The same applies to Chinese or Indian or any minority writer.

Old 03-19-2024, 05:34 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
There are not enough black readers to make books by black readers successful.

I don't think that this is true. You meant black "writers" , right ?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-19-2024, 07:09 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
There are not enough black readers to make books by black readers successful.

I don't think that this is true. You meant black "writers" , right ?

Yes, you are right. Comes from not proof reading. Black writers cannot write just for black readers and expect to be very successful. Also, some subjects do not appeal to the lay person, whether it is written by a black or white person and there is no point blaming race for the failures. On the other hand, a book like " A Gentleman in Moscow" will be successful irrespective of the race of the author.

I loved the disdain the black female author felt for the book written by Jeffrey even though they both dealt with poor black subjects in the ghetto. She was so ignorant of her own prejudices towards other black writers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies