Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 04:57 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,700,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I just found it interesting she had the name Gladstone after the famous historic British Prime Minister despite being Native American.

I can't say I know much about Native American culture or any history related to inter-marriage between Indigenuos women and White European men, other than perhaps Pocahontas, who is buried at Gravesend just outside London.
I think that her lineage (and the reactions to it) are similar to that of Barack Obama. Even though Obama’s mother is white (like Gladstone’s) and his father is not white (again, like Gladstone’s), many consider him “The first Black U.S. president,” even though he really is mixed-race.

Gladstone’s heritage is similar, although she grew up on a reservation, which is why I consider her Native American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 07:04 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times
My two (Okay, three) cents:

1) Past Lives is the best movie of the bunch. I saw that two months ago and am still thinking it over. It proves you don't need over-the-top anything to make a profound and effective film that speaks deeply to our shared experiences.

2) If there were an award for Most Completely Unnecessary Nude Scene, then Oppenheimer gets it walking away. Not a prude. I have zero problem with nudity--take Poor Things as an example--but it was so pointless in this case.

3) I'm kind of ticked off that Cocaine Bear didn't make the cut. Sure, it's a total B-movie. But something that unapologetic for what it is should be rewarded with some kind of recognition.

Old 02-19-2024, 07:33 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
The BAFTA's usually offer some indication of possible Oscar winners.

Barbie, Killers Of The Flower Moon and Saltburn all left the 2024 BAFTA'S empty-handed.

The main winners were -

7 wins - Oppenheimer
5 - Poor Things
3 - The Zone of Interest
2 - The Holdovers

Anatomy of a Fall - won Original screenplay
American Fiction - won Adapted screenplay

The Full list of contenders and winners is in the link below -

Bafta Awards 2024: The complete list of winners and nominees - BBC News (18th February 2024)

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-19-2024 at 07:43 AM..

Old 02-19-2024, 09:49 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Curious about something ... does anyone know if Barbie (the doll, not the movie) was as much of a pop icon and cultural zeitgeist in the UK as she was in the US? I wonder if Barbie (the movie, not the doll) didn't fare well at the BAFTA's because the Brits don't have the same contextual background to understand it?

Old 02-20-2024, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Curious about something ... does anyone know if Barbie (the doll, not the movie) was as much of a pop icon and cultural zeitgeist in the UK as she was in the US? I wonder if Barbie (the movie, not the doll) didn't fare well at the BAFTA's because the Brits don't have the same contextual background to understand it?

Britain had Barbie, which was actually based on a German doll, and there were other such dolls, and the film Barbie was actually largely filmed in the UK at Warner Bros Studios in Leavesden, Hertfordshire.

I suspect that the movies that won were just more critically acclaimed in terms of what BAFTA were looking for, and whilst BAFTA and the Oscars occasionally differ in terms of exact awards, the difference is not usually significantly different, and there is usually some similar thinking and alignment in terms of what constitutes an wards worthy film.

Old 02-20-2024, 03:32 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:

Britain had Barbie, which was actually based on a German doll, and there were other such dolls, and the film Barbie was actually largely filmed in the UK at Warner Bros Studios in Leavesden, Hertfordshire.
The filming location has very little to do with my question. And I know they had Barbie (she's pretty much global), but I'm asking if it was it as much of a cultural icon as it was in the US? Was her impact the same abroad?

Old 02-21-2024, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The filming location has very little to do with my question. And I know they had Barbie (she's pretty much global), but I'm asking if it was it as much of a cultural icon as it was in the US? Was her impact the same abroad?
Barbie was just as much an iconic doll in the UK, as in the US and other parts of the western world, however this had no bearing on the film, which was rated on it's own merits.

The first celebrity Barbie doll back in 1967 was based on the British fashion model Twiggy, and the doll was well established in British culture, with large sales and the film did well at the UK box office.

Old 02-21-2024, 06:50 AM

Quote:
The BAFTA's usually offer some indication of possible Oscar winners.

Barbie, Killers Of The Flower Moon and Saltburn all left the 2024 BAFTA'S empty-handed.

The main winners were -

7 wins - Oppenheimer
5 - Poor Things
3 - The Zone of Interest
2 - The Holdovers

Anatomy of a Fall - won Original screenplay
American Fiction - won Adapted screenplay

The Full list of contenders and winners is in the link below -

Bafta Awards 2024: The complete list of winners and nominees - BBC News (18th February 2024)
I agree with most of the winners, as they’re very similar to my predictions up thread. The big exception is Lily Gladstone not winning best actress. For whatever reason, she wasn’t even nominated for a BAFTA, which I find odd. I don’t think the Academy is in agreement with the Brits in that regard, so I think that will be the biggest difference at the Oscars.

And I am still hoping that Giamatti wins an Oscar instead of Murphy for Best Actor and that Robbie Robertson receives a posthumous Oscar for KOTFM.

Old 02-25-2024, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I agree with most of the winners, as they’re very similar to my predictions up thread. The big exception is Lily Gladstone not winning best actress. For whatever reason, she wasn’t even nominated for a BAFTA, which I find odd. I don’t think the Academy is in agreement with the Brits in that regard, so I think that will be the biggest difference at the Oscars.

And I am still hoping that Giamatti wins an Oscar instead of Murphy for Best Actor and that Robbie Robertson receives a posthumous Oscar for KOTFM.
Lilly Gladstone did win best actress at last nights Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Awards in Los Angeles, with The Holdovers star Da'Vine Joy Randolph winning best supporting actress and Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One winning Best stunt ensemble in a film.

It was Oppenheimer which again cleared up in terms of film awards, winning 3 of the 6 film categories in respect of Best actor, Best Supporting Actor and Outstanding performance by a cast.

3 wins - Oppenheimer
1- Killers of the Flower Moon
1 - The Holdovers
1 - Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One

Once again Barbie left empty handed, as did Poor Things.

As for the Television awards 'The Bear', 'Beef' and 'The Last of Us' all did well, with 'Succession' and 'The Crown' also picking up awards.

3 wins - The Bear
2 - Beef
2 - The Last of Us
1 - Succession
1 - The Crown

SAG Award winners 2024: The full list of nominees and wins - BBC (24th February 2024)

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-25-2024 at 06:45 AM..

Old 02-29-2024, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Lilly Gladstone did win best actress at last nights Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Awards in Los Angeles, with The Holdovers star Da'Vine Joy Randolph winning best supporting actress and Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One winning Best stunt ensemble in a film.

It was Oppenheimer which again cleared up in terms of film awards, winning 3 of the 6 film categories in respect of Best actor, Best Supporting Actor and Outstanding performance by a cast.

3 wins - Oppenheimer
1- Killers of the Flower Moon
1 - The Holdovers
1 - Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One

Once again Barbie left empty handed, as did Poor Things.

As for the Television awards 'The Bear', 'Beef' and 'The Last of Us' all did well, with 'Succession' and 'The Crown' also picking up awards.

3 wins - The Bear
2 - Beef
2 - The Last of Us
1 - Succession
1 - The Crown

SAG Award winners 2024: The full list of nominees and wins - BBC (24th February 2024)
The nicest thing has been seeing Da’vine Joy Randolph sweeping the awards. She was on The Graham Norton Show right before awards season kicked off and GM mentioned that she had been nominated and would probably win more than one award. She was modest and replied that she only “hoped” to win. She now has a Golden Globe, a BAFTA and a SAG award for her performance in The Holdovers, and she deserves every single award if only for hr ability to act and smoke herbal cigarettes at the same time as well as her ability to tell a good story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Bbm_EHH1w
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies