Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 08:18 PM

6,406 posts, read 4,901,771 times

Advertisements

I haven't watched the Oscars since John Wayne won for True Grit over Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight for Midnight Cowboy. How many Oscars do Alfred Hitchcock, Stanley Kubrick, Sidney Lumet, Orson Welles, Ingmar Berman, Federico Fellini, Howard Hawks, Stanley Kramer, Sergio Leone and Akira Kurosawa have combined? ZERO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 05:54 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,923,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Because it's more than just a movie about a toy. I'm guessing you didn't watch it.
I watched the whole thing, a couple of hours of my life that I will never be able to regain. Supposedly a metaphorical story about the evils of patriarchy, but it was done in such a boring, clumsy and disjointed way that the message was really hard to grasp. And, the acting in my opinion was average at best.

Amazing to me that it garnered any nominations at all.

Old 01-26-2024, 09:42 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,413,251 times
Despite the poor nominations and really subpar year for movies, I am happy and expect my fellow Los Angeles native Billie Eilish to win her SECOND Oscar this year. Her song "What Was I Made For" (and the video) is amazing.

Old 01-26-2024, 10:14 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,889,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Maestro sucked. It was not good. Cooper was ridiculous as Bernstein. I usually love Mulligan but found her performance just as contrived as that of Cooper. For a movie about a composer and conductor, there was very little conducting or music. It focused on Bernstein’s private life based on the condescending premise that moviegoers are interested in and fascinated by the private lives of fabulous artists rather than their art. And I imagine that Cooper wrote and directed the movie that way on purpose because he’s just so, you know, innovative; because, you know, a movie about a composer that focuses on the composer’s music would be “expected.”

But of course it’s going to get nominated. The Academy loves nominating pretentious films about famous artists because every member of the Academy hopes that they will one day be that famous artist about whom someone is making a film.
Maestro sure seems like the outlier this year. Barely in the 80s on RT. Any biopic votes are going to Oppenheimer.

Old 01-26-2024, 10:28 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I haven't watched the Oscars since John Wayne won for True Grit over Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight for Midnight Cowboy. How many Oscars do Alfred Hitchcock, Stanley Kubrick, Sidney Lumet, Orson Welles, Ingmar Berman, Federico Fellini, Howard Hawks, Stanley Kramer, Sergio Leone and Akira Kurosawa have combined? ZERO.
Correct.

Yet "I Just Called to Say I Love You" won an Oscar. What more evidence is needed?

The Oscars are a pathetic excuse for a publicity stunt.

Old 01-26-2024, 01:20 PM

8,313 posts, read 3,923,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I had never seen that particular list before but I am not surprised. I wasn't paying much attention at the time, but Wayne/True Grit over Hoffman/Voight in Midnight Cowboy? That's a travesty.

The Academy reminds me a lot of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, another institution that is more of a political good old boys fraternity than a serious attempt at honoring true artists. Plenty of incredible musicians missing from that as well.

Old 01-26-2024, 03:34 PM

16,415 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I watched the whole thing, a couple of hours of my life that I will never be able to regain. Supposedly a metaphorical story about the evils of patriarchy, but it was done in such a boring, clumsy and disjointed way that the message was really hard to grasp. And, the acting in my opinion was average at best.

Amazing to me that it garnered any nominations at all.
And that's fine ... regardless of whether I agree or not, I respect that opinion, because you actually watched it. It drives me nuts when people have an opinion about something they haven't even seen.

Old 01-27-2024, 09:43 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,203 times
OK I hope to finish watching Oppenheimer. It is a bit too long for me.

Is killers worth it to slog through 3 hours?

I saw the first few minutes of Maestro on Netflix and hated it. Turned it off. NYAD is also there on Netflix. Is it interesting?

Any other recommendations from the Oscars list that is short ( 2 hrs or less), sweet and entertaining.

Old 01-27-2024, 12:00 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
I will now watch "Barbie" because I very much like America Ferrera.

Old 01-28-2024, 04:33 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I will now watch "Barbie" because I very much like America Ferrera.
I like her too and she was very good in the movie. She did have the most "meaty" lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies