Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 10:41 AM

50,859 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I like her too and she was very good in the movie. She did have the most "meaty" lines.
I tried watching it again last night. Just couldn't stomach the movie. Only got through about 15-20 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2024, 08:22 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
While I thoroughly enjoyed The Iron Claw and thought Efron's performance was good, I didn't think it was really in the neighborhood of being award worthy.

The problem with having 10 best picture nominees and only 5 for best director is that someone is undoubtedly going to be left out.
I thought the lizard who played Godzilla Minus One was worthy of at least a Best Supporting Oscar nod too But animals just cannot still catch a break with the academy. I had heard that they were talking about giving Godzilla a lifetime achievement award but there was concern that he might do too much damage to the venue and possibly even eat the presenters.

I finally watched BARBIE and it was not a chick flick that I feared it would be, which was what kept me away from it even though my old lady said I would like it

I am noticing that American Fiction checks all the boxes for Oscar Bait.

Oppenhiemer? Well, look at the rankings of films that win best picture and ask if it really was that great....I mean it was one of the years best but is it something that anyone will watch 20 years from now and say "Oh that's a great film" ?

Old 01-30-2024, 11:39 AM

26,747 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
While I thoroughly enjoyed The Iron Claw and thought Efron's performance was good, I didn't think it was really in the neighborhood of being award worthy.
I was amazed at how well Zac Efron did in the role of Kevin Von Erich, though. (I hadn't seen him in film since he was a teenager.) That was a very under-rated film.

Old 01-30-2024, 01:57 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post

Any other recommendations from the Oscars list that is short ( 2 hrs or less), sweet and entertaining.

I definitely recommend The Holdovers. It's a bit over 2 hours, but it's very good and entertaining.

I think it's a strong contender to win Best Original Screenplay and Supporting Actress (Da'Vine Joy Randolph). And I would love to see Paul Giamatti win Best Actor for this film, but I think Cillian Murphy just edges him out for Oppenheimer.

Old 01-30-2024, 03:49 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,318,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I was amazed at how well Zac Efron did in the role of Kevin Von Erich, though. (I hadn't seen him in film since he was a teenager.) That was a very under-rated film.
Like I said, I really enjoyed the movie. I live in the Dallas area where it obviously got a lot more publicity, but I've always wondered how it was marketed and received in other parts of the country.

Old 01-30-2024, 04:22 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Such as?

Old 01-30-2024, 06:20 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
You're underrating that film. It's wickedly funny. I'm hoping to catch it again in the theater this weekend.

Old 01-31-2024, 11:20 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,700,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
[/b]

I definitely recommend The Holdovers. It's a bit over 2 hours, but it's very good and entertaining.

I think it's a strong contender to win Best Original Screenplay and Supporting Actress (Da'Vine Joy Randolph). And I would love to see Paul Giamatti win Best Actor for this film, but I think Cillian Murphy just edges him out for Oppenheimer.
I was thinking about this as well and think that Giamatti has a good shot at it since he has been nominated before; has never won; and is older than Murphy. However, I hope (and think ) that Da’vine Joy will win as well and I think that the Academy tends to sometimes favor winners from different pictures.

So far, here are my predictions:

Best film: Oppenheimer
Best director: Christopher Nolan
Best actor: Paul Giamatti
Best actress: Lily Gladstone
Best supporting actor: Robert Downey, Jr.
Best supporting actress: Da’vine Joy Randolph
Best adapted screenplay: The Zone of Interest
Best original screenplay: The Holdovers
Best score: Robbie Robertson
Best song: Billie Eilish

Not sure about the rest of the categories…

Old 02-02-2024, 06:34 PM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
[/b]

I think The Holdovers may be the one movie that is watched over and over again by the average person, and that is added to the list of Christmas Movies that are regularly shown.

In this respect The Holdovers will outlive the rest of the Oscar nominations in terms of popularity, and will have a genuine place in people's hearts and affections, and that is what is important rather than the subjective views of an increasingly woke agenda driven elite at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Old 02-02-2024, 06:39 PM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I was thinking about this as well and think that Giamatti has a good shot at it since he has been nominated before; has never won; and is older than Murphy. However, I hope (and think ) that Da’vine Joy will win as well and I think that the Academy tends to sometimes favor winners from different pictures.

So far, here are my predictions:

Best film: Oppenheimer
Best director: Christopher Nolan
Best actor: Paul Giamatti
Best actress: Lily Gladstone
Best supporting actor: Robert Downey, Jr.
Best supporting actress: Da’vine Joy Randolph
Best adapted screenplay: The Zone of Interest
Best original screenplay: The Holdovers
Best score: Robbie Robertson
Best song: Billie Eilish

Not sure about the rest of the categories…
I think a clearer picture will probably emerge later this month as the Film award season progresses.

I certainly would not like to predict the often strange and warped thinking in relation to the Oscars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies