Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 07:28 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I think The Holdovers may be the one movie that is watched over and over again by the average person, and that is added to the list of Christmas Movies that are regularly shown.

In this respect The Holdovers will outlive the rest of the Oscar nominations in terms of popularity, and will have a genuine place in people's hearts and affections, and that is what is important rather than the subjective views of an increasingly woke agenda driven elite at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Hmm, I think you could be right about this. The Holdovers is kind of like The Breakfast Club. People learning to understand and appreciate each other because they are forced to spend time together. And although it's technically a period piece, its 1970 setting could just as well be present day.

And the reason I think Murphy edges out Giamatti's is that Murphy was able to convince me he was Oppenheimer. His performance is more of a stretch than Giamatti's who just seems to be playing Paul Giamatti his role. But then again, the fact that Giamatti makes it look so effortless is a testament to his talent, so I don't know....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2024, 07:52 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Hmm, I think you could be right about this. The Holdovers is kind of like The Breakfast Club. People learning to understand and appreciate each other because they are forced to spend time together. And although it's technically a period piece, its 1970 setting could just as well be present day.

And the reason I think Murphy edges out Giamatti's is that Murphy was able to convince me he was Oppenheimer. His performance is more of a stretch than Giamatti's who just seems to be playing Paul Giamatti his role. But then again, the fact that Giamatti makes it look so effortless is a testament to his talent, so I don't know....

Exactly.

John Hughes films are still well loved and lets face it are watched far more than than many Oscar winning films.

In this respect 'The Holdovers' will be the filing we are all still watching in years to come when the current crop of Oscar winners are consigned to history and the archives.

In this respect films ranging from 'The Breakfast Club' through to 'Trains, Planes and Automobiles' right through to the 'Home Alone' films and many other similar films are the real films people love and cherish rather than some of the films that sweep up at award ceremonies, and in terms of 'The Holdovers' it looks set to become one of those cherished gems and whether it does well at the Oscars doesn't matter, as it will around when a lot of other movies have long been forgotten.

Old 02-03-2024, 08:13 AM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Quote:
I don't think that Paul Giamatti is anything like the character he plays in The Holdovers. His character, Paul Hunham, is a cantankerous and bitter fussbudget with an impressive knowledge of the Classics who is revealed to be a good (albeit complex) man at heart. Not to mention Giamatti's being able to play a character with a lazy eye. Moreover, even though the film featured strong supporting performances from Da'vine Joy Randolph, Dominic Sessa and Carrie Preston, Giamatti carried the film. And, as you stated, he makes it look effortless.

I think that Murphy's performance was good but one could argue just as easily that he was playing himself, sans Irish accent. I actually like his performance in Peaky Blinders much more than in Oppenheimer but, again, I don't think that either role was a stretch for him. Moreover, his performance was bolstered by a much stronger supporting cast than that of Giamatti in The Holdovers. In keeping with many of Nolan's films, Oppenheimer featured an impressive ensemble cast featuring experienced and versatile film actors.

Old 02-03-2024, 08:27 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I don't think that Paul Giamatti is anything like the character he plays in The Holdovers. His character, Paul Hunham, is a cantankerous and bitter fussbudget with an impressive knowledge of the Classics who is revealed to be a good (albeit complex) man at heart. Not to mention Giamatti's being able to play a character with a lazy eye. Moreover, even though the film featured strong supporting performances from Da'vine Joy Randolph, Dominic Sessa and Carrie Preston, Giamatti carried the film. And, as you stated, he makes it look effortless.

I think that Murphy's performance was good but one could argue just as easily that he was playing himself, sans Irish accent. I actually like his performance in Peaky Blinders much more than in Oppenheimer but, again, I don't think that either role was a stretch for him. Moreover, his performance was bolstered by a much stronger supporting cast than that of Giamatti in The Holdovers. In keeping with many of Nolan's films, Oppenheimer featured an impressive ensemble cast featuring experienced and versatile film actors.
That's a good point. Oppenheimer is full of fantastic performances by a lot of veteran actors. Feels very epic and ensemble, whereas The Holdovers seems much more small and intimate.

Old 02-03-2024, 09:23 AM

Quote:
That's a good point. Oppenheimer is full of fantastic performances by a lot of veteran actors. Feels very epic and ensemble, whereas The Holdovers seems much more small and intimate.
Exactly. So, as another poster stated, who wins will depend on the whim of the Academy. But, as I stated earlier, Giamatti has never won despite a long and impressive career during which he has already been nominated for a best-supporting actor Oscar.

OTOH, this is Murphy's first Oscar nomination. And, although I enjoy his work, IMHO his resume is simply not as impressive as that of Giamatti. Consequently, I think that he has a ways to go before he earns an Academy Award but that he will eventually win one.

What is really interesting, though, about both actors is that their careers are very similar: Giamatti is only 9 years older than Murphy and both began receiving critical acclaim for their performances in the early 2000's. And now both have won at the 2024 Golden Globes: Murphy for Outstanding Lead in a Drama for Oppenheimer and Giamatti for Outstanding Lead in a Musical or Comedy for The Holdovers. It's going to be close and it's still anyone's game.

I just hope that the Academy doesn't pull a fast one and give the Oscar to, like, Bradley Cooper. I will throw up my hands in disgust and disavow them if that happens.

Old 02-04-2024, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I was thinking about this as well and think that Giamatti has a good shot at it since he has been nominated before; has never won; and is older than Murphy. However, I hope (and think ) that Da’vine Joy will win as well and I think that the Academy tends to sometimes favor winners from different pictures.

So far, here are my predictions:

Best film: Oppenheimer
Best director: Christopher Nolan
Best actor: Paul Giamatti
Best actress: Lily Gladstone
Best supporting actor: Robert Downey, Jr.
Best supporting actress: Da’vine Joy Randolph
Best adapted screenplay: The Zone of Interest
Best original screenplay: The Holdovers
Best score: Robbie Robertson
Best song: Billie Eilish

Not sure about the rest of the categories…
The strange thing about Lily Gladstone is that although she is descended from native Americans, she also descends from the first cousin of famous former British Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone.

William Ewart Gladstone (1809 – 1898) had a political career lasting over 60 years, during which time he served for 12 years as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, spread over four non-consecutive terms (the most of any British prime minister) beginning in 1868 and ending in 1894. He also served as Chancellor of the Exchequer four times, for over 12 years.

Old 02-05-2024, 04:21 AM

Quote:
The strange thing about Lily Gladstone is that although she is descended from native Americans, she also descends from the first cousin of famous former British Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone.
Why is that strange?

Old 02-06-2024, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Why is that strange?
I just found it a bit strange than a Native American who goes on about Native American rights, would be related to and share have the surname of a former British Prime Minister who led Britain at the height of Colonialism.

I am not entirely sure how the Gladstone name made it from Scotland and Liverpool in Northern England to half way around the world in relation to Montana and the Native Americans who reside there, however it does seem like a strange set of circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC

Lily Gladstone has already made Academy Awards history, and she could be about to make it again.

The 37-year-old is the first Native American woman to ever be nominated for best actress at the Oscars.

We will find out if she is also the first winner when the ceremony takes place in Los Angeles on 10 March.

Gladstone is not a newcomer to acting - viewers may have seen her in TV series such as Billions and films including Certain Women.

But she was not a household name until she appeared in Killers of the Flower Moon - a three and a half-hour epic directed by Martin Scorsese.

The actress points out being the first Native American best actress nominee at the Oscars after 96 years feels long overdue considering what's known about the origin of cinema.

Lily Gladstone: The Native American actress who could make Oscars history - BBC News

Old 02-06-2024, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I just found it a bit strange than a Native American who goes on about Native American rights, would be related to and share have the surname of a former British Prime Minister who led Britain at the height of Colonialism.

I am not entirely sure how the Gladstone name made it from Scotland and Liverpool in Northern England to half way around the world in relation to Montana and the Native Americans who reside there, however it does seem like a strange set of circumstances.
You should hear my family history, then. It’s very similar. I think most Americans are mutts, so her family history seems very American to me. In fact, KOTFM was specifically about inter-marriage between Indigenuos women and White European men.

I think that she advocates for Native American rights because she is Native American; one distant, English relative doesn’t change that.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:55 AM

Quote:
You should hear my family history, then. It’s very similar. I think most Americans are mutts, so her family history seems very American to me. In fact, KOTFM was specifically about inter-marriage between Indigenuos women and White European men.

I think that she advocates for Native American rights because she is Native American; one distant, English relative doesn’t change that.
I just found it interesting she had the name Gladstone after the famous historic British Prime Minister despite being Native American.

I can't say I know much about Native American culture or any history related to inter-marriage between Indigenuos women and White European men, other than perhaps Pocahontas, who is buried at Gravesend just outside London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies