Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:30 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,528 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see the movie Irreconcilable Differences? I keep getting visions of the big budget Western flop that was part of the B story for this movie. I like High Jackman, so I hope it does well, but I'll be interested to see how it does overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 09:45 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I will be seeing this movie shortly and I do not put much thought into critics reviews. THere are very few movies that receive good reviews, and when they do, most are pathetic movies. I have a feeling Australia is a much better movie than any critic reviews give it. I usually prefer the reviews of other filmgoers on a movie than any critic. I will give my review after I see it. Actually I would rather visit Australia than see this move, but the movie ticket will have to do since its alot cheaper than the trip.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:30 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Saw it yesterday. Only mild spoilers ahead.

I did not hate Australia, but I did not love it.
I enjoyed Kidman and Jackman; they had real chemistry.
Other characters were marginal and/or contrivances.
Some of the scenery was stunning; some of the scenes looked CGI.
Australia had much going on: We look at Australia's racism in the not-too-distant past, Kidman as the proper Englishwoman arriving at her dusty ranch, greedy, unscrupulous neighbors, a cattle drive complete with stampede.
Throw World War II into the mix and you've got close to 3 hours, not all of which I spent on the edge of my seat.
I cracked up at the way Luhrmann wove The Wizard of Oz (get it? "Oz" is slang for Australia) into his story, with the dreamy Over the Rainbow theme. There are many cornball scenes--Kidman, early on, even has the line "I"m capable as any man!" but I went along for the ride with them, it's all part of a big movie with a big story.
I enjoyed the little half-caste Aboriginal boy, Nullah.
Still, as much as I enjoy sprawling epics, I never quite felt *enveloped* into this movie, and was checking my watch towards the end.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:28 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
I went in expecting something like Titanic. Came out pleasantly surprised to see that they had added a little social statement into the cheesy semi-historical epic. I thought the acting was very good (though the Aborigines were the best), even Jackman was okay, even though it was clear his main purpose was to look manly and act distant. The cinematography was gorgeous and so was the set and costume design. The action scenes were a bit sensationalistic and the movie itself was a bit cliche. But all-in-all, it was a very enjoyable epic love story, akin to Far and Away (but better) or Titanic. If you don't like that kind of movie, stay away, but if you do, this will be very enjoyable, especially on the big screen.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:02 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
a humble request from a spoiler addict: please, would someone tell me how the movie ends? Is it really changed to happily ever after as rumored, or does it stay as a not so happy ending?

Thank you!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:27 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
a humble request from a spoiler addict: please, would someone tell me how the movie ends? Is it really changed to happily ever after as rumored, or does it stay as a not so happy ending?

Thank you!
Well, it depends on what you mean by happily ever after.
To me, while there were indeed some cliches in the last act, the final minutes were not *completely* saccharine--but that's just my opinion.
Do you want me to Direct Message you?

Old 12-02-2008, 12:51 PM

15 posts, read 53,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Did anyone see the movie Irreconcilable Differences? I keep getting visions of the big budget Western flop that was part of the B story for this movie. I like High Jackman, so I hope it does well, but I'll be interested to see how it does overall.
Atlanta! The musical version of Gone With the Wind. Now that you mention it, the commercials do remind me of that.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:37 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I will be seeing this movie shortly and I do not put much thought into critics reviews. THere are very few movies that receive good reviews, and when they do, most are pathetic movies. I have a feeling Australia is a much better movie than any critic reviews give it. I usually prefer the reviews of other filmgoers on a movie than any critic. I will give my review after I see it. Actually I would rather visit Australia than see this move, but the movie ticket will have to do since its alot cheaper than the trip.
I saw the movie and I enjoyed it. I was very impressed with the young Aborigine actor as well as with Nicole and Hugh Jackman. I felt all of these actors played their characters well, and did not falter in thier roles. I knew of the predjudices towards the Aborigines, but I had no idea it was as bad as was shown in the movie. The movie to me was a historical, drama, War, Western type presentation of early WWII Australia. I felt the blending of all these themes gave the movie what it was looking for, Australia.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:42 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,660 times
Default My Review: Australia

I posted my review of the new Baz Luhrman film on my movie review blog if anyone is interested:

MOVIN' PITCHERS

Old 12-17-2008, 02:49 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,682 times
When dealing with the possible depiction of deceased Abroiginal and Torres Strait Islander people? Many Australian Documentaries/Movies/TV Shows..etc will carry that "Disclaimer!" Warning that images or voices of recently dead people may be included? and that viewer discretion is advised! As it is both upsetting and still largely taboo for many of Australia's indigenous people, To see or hear dead relatives.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 12-17-2008 at 04:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies