Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:17 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times

Advertisements

Wife and I went to see the movie MILK, about the life of Harvey Milk, the first openly gay man elected to public office in the USA.

Sean Penn was in the lead role and he turned in a superb piece of work.

The entire movie was a masterpiece.

I hope people go see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 09:00 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,847,411 times
Right now this is probably the only thing out that I want to see. Wife isn't so sure. We'll probably go see "Valkyrie" on Christmas though.

I read somewhere that Penn makes out with ? in it. I like Penn as an actor and have friends who disagree with him politically but like his acting. Still I don't need to see that.

I lived in the SF Bay Area when he was killed. Sad day for everyone. Besides he and Mayor Moscone being gunned down the next worst thing was the "Twinkie Defense".

golfgod

Old 12-19-2008, 09:17 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Right now this is probably the only thing out that I want to see. Wife isn't so sure. We'll probably go see "Valkyrie" on Christmas though.

I read somewhere that Penn makes out with ? in it. I like Penn as an actor and have friends who disagree with him politically but like his acting. Still I don't need to see that.

I lived in the SF Bay Area when he was killed. Sad day for everyone. Besides he and Mayor Moscone being gunned down the next worst thing was the "Twinkie Defense".

golfgod
Understand. The couple of scenes with guys kissing doesn't appeal to me but doesn't gross me out given the great acting.

At the end of the movie, they give an update on the key people in the story. The Twinkie (junk food made me do it) defense by Dan White (the shooter who killed Milk and Moscone) launched riots. White was convicted, sentenced to a few years in prison. He was released and two years later he committed suicide.

The movie was really excellent. I have no qualms about recommending it to anyone.

Sad that so many people trying to advance civil rights and human dignity are gunned down by idiots. The list of the dead includes JFK, RFK, MLK, Medgar Evers, Harry Moore, James Chaney, Michael Schwerner, Andrew Goodman, Harvey Milk, and many more.

s/Mike

Old 12-20-2008, 03:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:

Me too. Actually, I was living right on the edge of the Tenderloin.
The Twinkie Defense was really kind of a myth, but it did its work all too well.
I really want to see Milk.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:04 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
I remember this happening shortly after the Jonestown killings ... it was 2 sucker punches.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:26 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,847,411 times
domergurl wrote;
Quote:
I remember this happening shortly after the Jonestown killings ... it was 2 sucker punches.
Not to get too far off the topic but wasn't the Teneriffe (sp?) plane crash (over 500 dead) one of 3 "big hits" that the Bay Area took over a two year period?

golfgod

Old 12-20-2008, 07:17 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,708 times
Quote:
What did you expect with the subject matter? I don't get why people have to make a big deal out of same sex couples kissing on film or in real life.

I can't wait to see this film. I have enjoyed Penn as a director and an actor. Also has a stellar cast including the very talented Emile Hirsch.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:18 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Wife and I went to see the movie MILK, about the life of Harvey Milk, the first openly gay man elected to public office in the USA.

I hope people go see it.
I went to go see this movie last night. Amazing. I expect to see this film nominated for several awards.

The last scene of the movie when they are holding the candlelight vigil for Harvey and Moscone gave me chills.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:34 AM

631 posts, read 1,885,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

I hope people go see it.

So happy to hear this! I can't wait to see this movie but I have a feeling our stupid theatre up here won't show it. The previews look amazing and its hard to go wrong with this cast of phenomenal actors. This all happened before my time so I had never heard of any of these events before I saw the previews but I am looking forward to seeing the film. Sean Penn's ability to transform for a character always amazes it me. He is a gifted man.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:35 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,315 times
aww I am dying to watch this movie! I dont have anyone to go with though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies