Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:37 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,821,491 times

Advertisements

Let's start a thread about the best romantic movies you ever saw.

I'm still impressed by 'A Lot Like Love' movie I saw the other day. What a wonderful, heartwarming and joyful movie it is! This movie made me remember of good old days when I was in love Lol Further some plot lines had a light resemblance with my own life. Screw the critics and people who hated that movie as they just don't believe in the "crazy little thing called love", don't believe in romance and stuff like this. The movie also has some good jokes - one of them is "The places I've traveled" when they toured NYC and Amanda Peet made an obscene shot ROFL. One of the many scenes I dig is the one when they stopped at the middle of the road at night and made that wondeful shot against the moon. That was really cool.
I like that the director was English so the movie is not another Hollywoodish mediocre romantic movie I'm tired of. Of course 'A Lot Like Love' does meet some Hollywood standards but in general it's pretty peculiar and original as both characters don't succeed in their lives when it comes to money and career. The movie shows us different ups and downs during the main charaters lives and that's great cause it's not another glossy story.
This is one of the cool fragments when Ashton Kutcher sings a song of Bon Jovi to Amanda Peet.

YouTube - Ashton Kutcher - I'll Be There For You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 10:14 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
"Cyrano de Bergerac" THE romantic movie "par excellence. Unequalled IMO for sheer poetry and heroism of the heart. Stunning costumes, locations, sets and superb acting. Still the best love story ever written .

Some of my favourites :

"An Affair to remember"
"Roman Holiday"
"Breakfast at Tiffany's"
"Lars and the real girl"
"The Bridges of Madison County"
"Casablanca"
"A very long engagement"
"Like Water for Chocolate"
"Ladyhawke"

Old 11-16-2009, 10:26 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,745,369 times
My all time favorite is "Somewhere in Time"

Old 11-16-2009, 10:47 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,821,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
"Cyrano de Bergerac" THE romantic movie "par excellence. Unequalled IMO for sheer poetry and heroism of the heart. Stunning costumes, locations, sets and superb acting. Still the best love story ever written .
I had a look at Wiki and found out there were many different movies called Cyrano de Bergerac. What one have you seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Even though I have never seen it the title reminds me of the Iron Maiden song and album Lol

Old 11-18-2009, 12:08 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashM View Post
I had a look at Wiki and found out there were many different movies called Cyrano de Bergerac. What one have you seen?

Even though I have never seen it the title reminds me of the Iron Maiden song and album Lol
For me the definitive "Cyrano" is the one with Gerard Depardieu. Absolutely fabulous. Being French it has subtitles though. It does lose in translation but is still a very special film. My British boyfriend is not ashamed to admit some moistness in the eyes a couple of times during the movie...

Old 11-19-2009, 08:14 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,698,138 times
Love Story
City Of Angels
The Way We Were
Magnificent Obsession
Gone With The Wind
An Officer and A Gentlemen
Ghost
Meet Joe Black
Legends Of The Fall
Titanic

These are just a few of my choices.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:20 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,313,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I second that one.

I also like "What's Up Doc?" and "Foul Play."

Old 11-20-2009, 04:33 AM

34 posts, read 116,274 times
Rambo

Old 11-20-2009, 05:31 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
When it comes to romance I generally only like them if they have a slightly odd twist to them.

A Beautiful Mind (with some reservations)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Although again some reservations, albeit different ones)
Forget Paris
Groundhog Day
Happy Accidents
Joe versus the Volcano
Lady and the Tramp
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
My Girl
The Princess Bride
Up (sort-of, after a fashion. His devotion to his dead wife's memory is slightly unhealthy, but touching)

I guess Vertigo (one of my favorite films) is listed as a romance at IMDB and it sort-of is, but it sort-of isn't. In a way it's more a story of intrigue and romantic obsession, but maybe that's a gray area.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I'm not sure what at the moment.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:27 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,903 times
An Officer and a Gentleman
Doctor Zhivago
Camelot
First Daughter
Before Sunset
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies