Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:25 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times

Advertisements

Sex sells. How on earth do you expect "artists" to make mega bucks if they don't get in on the fashion, beauty, sex train? C'mon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 05:54 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Lady Gaga - "Lovegame", "Pokerface", etc.
Britney Spears - "3", "If U Seek Amy", etc.
Katy Perry - "Last Friday Night", "I Kissed a Girl", etc.
Lil' Wayne - "Lollipop"
3OH3 - "Don't Trust Me"
Ke$ha - "Blah Blah Blah"
Akon - "I Wanna **** You"
Enrique Iglesias - "Tonight I'm Going to **** You", "I Like It"
Pitbull - "Holiday Inn"
etc. etc. etc.

Seriously, what happened? Obviously sexual innuendo has always been a part of music. However, I remember an era in which sex did not seem to be the focus of seemingly every song on hit radio - an era in which songs did not explicitly discuss threesomes and S & M! I'm speaking of the mid-to-late 1990's. Songs did occasionally touch on sexual topics, but with a few exceptions, it was done in a discreet way or a sort of "casual" way that was shrugged off by most listeners and not central to the theme of the song's lyrics.

Around 2002, as hip-hop became mainstream again, that all changed and songs became almost universally raunchy. I'm speaking of such "artists" as 50 Cent, Lil' Wayne, Ludacris, Snoop Dogg, D4L, and others. When hip-hop went into decline on the charts around 2008, I had the hope that music would return to at least an image of its former state. Wrong. While melody re-surfaced and the catchy 4/4 beat returned, the lyrics remained the same. And that abominable trend of (mostly female) singers starting out with a clean image and it being transformed into promiscuous and dirty continued - it happened with Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and now with Rihanna and who knows who else.

I don't know why songs today are universally about sex, or what motivates the artists who make them. I don't know anybody so hypersexual as to appreciate the current status quo.

What do you think of the sexualization of pop music and why do you think artists only want to sing about sex today?

For what it's worth....I agree with you 100 percent. It has never been this bad.

Long gone are the true love songs....

YouTube - ‪L.T.D.-love ballad‬‏

Old 06-21-2011, 06:21 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
That's true. Back in the day they weren't so explicit. But the subject was mostly the same because it had universal appeal. The FCC investigated so many songs radio stations were afraid to play suggestive songs. And of course without AirPlay the song never goes anywhere.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:30 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Lady Gaga - "Lovegame", "Pokerface", etc.
Britney Spears - "3", "If U Seek Amy", etc.
Katy Perry - "Last Friday Night", "I Kissed a Girl", etc.
Lil' Wayne - "Lollipop"
3OH3 - "Don't Trust Me"
Ke$ha - "Blah Blah Blah"
Akon - "I Wanna **** You"
Enrique Iglesias - "Tonight I'm Going to **** You", "I Like It"
Pitbull - "Holiday Inn"
etc. etc. etc.

What do you think of the sexualization of pop music and why do you think artists only want to sing about sex today?
Oh well none of the above is considered music by those of the more intelligent class of music connoisseurs.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:05 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
I don't know. I think it's silly to define things only by good examples of them. The above songs are music, they're maybe just not particularly good music. Music is hard to define, but a common one seems to be that it is series of sounds organized in a way to produce a response in the listener. Like most art it either reflects society or expresses some feeling or idea or fantasy of the musician. So a four-chord auto-tuned song that just says "I'm drunk and naked", over and over, is music whether it's any good or not.

Unless one of the above is just random sounds, or nonsense words with no pattern at all, they are "music" in at least some sense. (And some argue completely random unorganized sounds are "music" as long as they are sound as an art-form)

Old 06-21-2011, 07:21 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
As someone said: "Sex sells".

Which means, it's a government conspiracy to keep stupid people preoccupied with sex and babies (+ material gain) so that they are submissive and indebted to a society in which they cannot revolt in order to create the changes necessary for a better world, which we so desperately need. It also blinds them to the bigger issues.

Quote:
Ke$ha - "Blah Blah Blah"
^Exactly.

Unfortunately, freedom & free thinkers do not equal $$$$$$$$$$.

Instead, we pose a massive threat to the 'powers' that be. GET EM!

Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,898 times
Raunchy songs and entertainment have been around since at least the dark ages. To say that only today's music has raunchy content is to ignore hundreds of years of history. Just look up ribaldry.

I think the real difference now is that with the advent of the Internet plus the breakdown of old sexual taboos over the last 50 years, all the raunchiness that used to be kept more under wraps has now come to the surface and reached the mainstream. Plus, sex sells. So, make of that what you will.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:49 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
My parents asked the same question back in the fifties. Hi dad.
I blame all those blues musicians singing about hoochie-coochie or wanting to be a backdoor man or a king bee. Also that darn Elvis for shaking his hips...kids should've just listened to Pat Boone.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:55 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
People are attracted to things that fit their pedigree. If that music sells, it's because the message is attractive to a large group of people. There are still plenty of pop tunes that don't involve vulgar references.

I have to laugh when I'm rolling through some small town, and a 16 year old white girl pulls up at a stoplight next to me, windows down, pounding an uncensored hip hop tune about ***** slapping and ho-banging and whatever other nasty lyrics that, quite frankly, speak to the idiocy of the listener.

My preference is to stick to jazz and music similar to that on Sirius XM Chill. I like electronic music with no lyrics, and there is plenty of that to choose from. My music choices clearly indicate my utter lack of "street cred", though.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:01 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Default Why is sex all that is sung about in today's pop music?

I think we can all agree that "sung" is a strong word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music