Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 11:28 PM

468 posts, read 1,637,540 times

Advertisements

I like West Coast and Dirty South stuff...Dre and 2Pac are my faves from the west, and more recently, TI has become my favorite Southern Rapper...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,287 times
Thumbs up my fav rap group and top rap group the best of the best

TOP RAP GROUP
THE BEST OF THE BEST underground

1) Wu-Tang Clan
2) Erick B. & Rakim
3) EPMD
4) The Roots
5) Gangstaar

What do you think?
and there lyrics are the bomb!!!

No doubt

Old 09-23-2007, 07:15 PM

979 posts, read 3,828,998 times
I'm a big fan of Tribe. I like old Outkast. Wu-tang was amazing!!!! And tupac for a solo artist.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:20 PM

979 posts, read 3,828,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetWarrior View Post
I think having a "Favorite Rap Group" thread is pretty pointless to be honest. I mean, look. You all like the same rappers. I get out of here tonight at 8:00, and I'm on Broad Street, so if I go West Side Highway to 9A into the Bronx. I could just go up to someone saying, "yeah, I like Mob Deep, A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, and Outkast". They would completely believe me, because apparently, within rap, everyone likes the same guys.
These are great artists. Thats why. There are few amazing artists in Rap that you can really give props to and you've seen most of them repeated over and over here. They are intelligent artists with quality music.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
What, no love for the Beastie Boys? C'mon folks!
  • They brought millions of suburban white kids into the rap fold and substantially increased rap's audience

• Paul's Boutique is on nearly every serious rap critic's list of greatest rap albums of all time (even though I all but hate it)

• The musical tracks from Check Your Head through Hello Nasty are some of the freshest, creative and most organic in the rap genre

• THEY PLAY THEIR OWN BLOODY INSTRUMENTS and lay down their own tracks.... there's a thought! (In fact, that's their saving grace, because the actual vocal rap is pretty lame, but they know it and don't care.)

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention up-and-coming Chicago act Animate Objects. Super-mellow stuff, also organic with live instrumental.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:44 AM

146 posts, read 224,257 times
The Wu Tang Clan and D-BLOCK hands down....i also like Outkast, Mobb Deep, Ghetto Boys

Old 07-11-2008, 07:56 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Not to spoil things here, but where is the talent in Rap? To me a musician is somebody who can play a musical instrument or sing with a lot of talent, originality, and break new grounds in music. Examples: Guitarist Eddie Van Halen, and his flash guitar style, every note on his guitar SAYS something, George Lynch, again, every note he plays projects a lot of emotion, and that's the art of music! Just like many other musicians from the past, like Beethoven, Bach, and Straus. their legacy in music is still alive and will probably live on forever.

Peronally, I don't see anything artful in Rap, and I'm sorry, but I refuse to call it "Music".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Rap? I dont think so. I like many other styles, but rap isnt one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
I agree 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
For me, the best rap group is a MUTE rap group!

I am among the camp that refuses to call rap music. The word rap means to talk. While some of these "artists" are creative, and some are even talented musically, I refuse to call the product of their efforts music when it is primarily spoken word. I don't particularly care for any of this type of recording, or at least not that which is promoted heavily these days. Back in his time, I thought Will Smith did a pretty good job as a poet. His recording of "Parents just don't understand" was hilarious. I am close to the same age that he is, so I could relate to what he was saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate angels View Post
riginally Posted by L_A_Woman View Post
Rap? I dont think so. I like many other styles, but rap isnt one of them.

I think this too.
Why do all these people come in these threads and make comments like this? Newsflash no one here cares that you don't like rap music - that wasn't the damn question. Clearly, if you don't have a favorite rap group then you don't need to participate in the conversation. No one asked you to come in here and give your opinion, especially since it has no relevance whatsoever to what we're talking about. Take the negativity somewhere else.

Now my favorites:
Arrested Development
Outkast
Fugees

Old 07-11-2008, 08:23 AM

146 posts, read 224,257 times
Cool Preach!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Why do all these people come in these threads and make comments like this? Newsflash no one here cares that you don't like rap music - that wasn't the damn question. Clearly, if you don't have a favorite rap group then you don't need to participate in the conversation. No one asked you to come in here and give your opinion, especially since it has no relevance whatsoever to what we're talking about. Take the negativity somewhere else.

Now my favorites:
Arrested Development
Outkast
Fugees
Amen 2 dat sister!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:03 PM

869 posts, read 2,955,173 times
Consolidated
Public Enemy

Old 07-11-2008, 09:09 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,699,377 times
RUN DMC was the last great rap group in my (lacking rap knowledge) worthless opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music