Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:42 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times

Advertisements

Not only are lyrics much more.suggestive and explicit these days, the artists who sing them are much more "charged." If you look at Simon and Garfunkel you probably don't think "sex," but look at Rhianna (?) and she certainly doesn't leave much to the imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:17 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,974 times
It's no coincidence that you have a lot of one trick pony songwriters out there, either your message is blunt or dumbed down. This didn't just start happening now, I noticed it during my childhood in the late 90s as well the only difference was there was a bit more of a balance I'd say then. The craft part has been separated, so now you have drab songs where the vocalist/producer couldn't find middle c on a piano if their life depended on it.

I work in this industry, but thankfully I'm in a position where I get to work with a few radio artists that garner radio play, as well as some of the most promising independent acts.

LOL at Rhianna, if she had an imagination she'd have a better understanding of pitch.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:01 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
sex sells

Old 06-28-2012, 11:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

However I will say, as much as I love the music of the 50s and 60s it is annoying how 9 out of 10 songs are love songs. Love songs have their place but that's not the ONLY thing in life.
Depends on what you're listening to, genre-wise. The 60s were full of folk, which is often marginally about romance,if at all. Woody Guthrie and his contemporaries were writing socially aware, non-fluff songs well before then,too.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:18 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
These are different from the music the OP describes. These are about affairs, or relationships, not one night stands. Notice the song goes, "Cecilia, you're breaking my heart". People who are into ONS don't get broken hearts. Me and Mrs. Jones, we got a thing goin' on. That's not about a ONS. If loving you is wrong (note the word: "love"). etc.

idk, OP, I've been wondering the same thing as you.
Exactly.

I noticed this change around 2002.

As I came of age, the chart hits were not nearly as sexual as today. I'm sure there were some sexually-charged songs in the mid-late 1990s, but there were certainly not as many hits with sexual lyrics as today. If they did happen to have sex as a component in their song, it was usually veiled behind references.

Now you have songs with titles like "Tonight I'm ****ing You" and "I Wanna **** You", songs that explicitly speak about specific sexual practices by famous artists like Rihanna, Britney Spears, and Lil' Wayne, songs unashamedly celebrating infidelity by artists like Pitbull and Enrique Iglesias, etc. These aren't simply burned onto CDs or copied to MP3 players and distributed amongst high schoolers but actually played on the air. Definitely a far cry from "Don't Speak", "Truly Madly Deeply", or "This Is Your Night".

You can even see the evolution in artists that remained popular over time:

Enrique Iglesias's "Now That You're Gone" and "Bailamos" were hits in 1999-2000. Now he sings about cheating and one-night stands.

Nelly Furtado had a brief stint of popularity with "I'm Like a Bird" in 2001. She re-emerged with "Promiscuous Girl" in 2006.

Britney Spears has had a sexualized image since her debut, but she used to claim to be a virgin and her songs weren't so racy. Now she sings about various bedroom practices.

Even Rihanna was originally a fairly clean artist. Then of course with "Good Girl Gone Bad" she embraced the image of a ***** with songs like "S&M".

Old 06-28-2012, 11:26 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
i think you can blame (if that's what you want to call it) most of it in part on club culture. most of these songs that started the "trend" had their beginnings in the clubs and never touched a radio or where wildy public. its just become the norm for how a song is produced and shopped around.

club culture became "mainstream"

Old 06-28-2012, 11:44 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
i think you can blame (if that's what you want to call it) most of it in part on club culture. most of these songs that started the "trend" had their beginnings in the clubs and never touched a radio or where wildy public. its just become the norm for how a song is produced and shopped around.

club culture became "mainstream"
I agree with club culture having something of an influence, but club hits made huge airplay for a long time in many European countries, and even they did not have as raunchy of lyrics as the current hits. Songs often had nonsense lyrics, lyrics about dancing, or vague love. They may have had phrases that could be interpreted as suggestive, but they were only that. Of course, there were exceptions (such as groups that achieved fame singing solely about sex).

Old 06-28-2012, 11:49 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
...especially one-night stands?

It seems like back in the late 90's, few of the hit songs at the time were of a sexual nature, or at least they toned it down. But now in 2012, it sometimes seems like EVERY song is about sex, and usually one-night stands - usually an assertive male speaking of taking a woman home for a night from the club, or increasing ly the other way around (e.g. Kesha's "Bla Bla Bla"). Even songs that are not otherwise centered around sex seem to make an obligatory token reference (e.g. Rihanna's "Don't Stop the Music", Lady Gaga's "Edge of Glory") This has seemed to be the case for about 10 years now.

Are regular people really so horny or sex-obsessed as to find this appealing? Although my religious views come into play here, even from a secular perspective, it's ridiculous.
Is this some kind of joke..? Every song is about sex.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:55 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,182,229 times
The decline in pop morality in the past several years. Personally, I hate today's sexed up songs. I feel as if some singers use it as a crutch to compensate for a lack of talent. Shame, shame...

Old 06-29-2012, 12:04 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Exactly.

I noticed this change around 2002.

As I came of age, the chart hits were not nearly as sexual as today. I'm sure there were some sexually-charged songs in the mid-late 1990s, but there were certainly not as many hits with sexual lyrics as today. If they did happen to have sex as a component in their song, it was usually veiled behind references.

Now you have songs with titles like "Tonight I'm ****ing You" and "I Wanna **** You", songs that explicitly speak about specific sexual practices by famous artists like Rihanna, Britney Spears, and Lil' Wayne, songs unashamedly celebrating infidelity by artists like Pitbull and Enrique Iglesias, etc. These aren't simply burned onto CDs or copied to MP3 players and distributed amongst high schoolers but actually played on the air. Definitely a far cry from "Don't Speak", "Truly Madly Deeply", or "This Is Your Night".

You can even see the evolution in artists that remained popular over time:

Enrique Iglesias's "Now That You're Gone" and "Bailamos" were hits in 1999-2000. Now he sings about cheating and one-night stands.

Nelly Furtado had a brief stint of popularity with "I'm Like a Bird" in 2001. She re-emerged with "Promiscuous Girl" in 2006.

Britney Spears has had a sexualized image since her debut, but she used to claim to be a virgin and her songs weren't so racy. Now she sings about various bedroom practices.

Even Rihanna was originally a fairly clean artist. Then of course with "Good Girl Gone Bad" she embraced the image of a ***** with songs like "S&M".
I have a saying, before song's stirred the soul, then the mind, and now the loins lol.

In the 90s you had a lot more songs with more intelligent, deep messages, even if they were romantic or mentioned sex, in the top 40. Singer songwriters like Tori Amos and Ben Folds, for instance. Now I don't even see many girl bands, just a lot of vacuous, sexed up, **** material for teenage boys singing about gang bangs and S & M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music