Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 05:29 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,231,253 times

Advertisements

this...

Silhouettes - Herman's Hermits - YouTube
I still like it better than the original now that I've heard it.

before...

THE RAYS SILHOUETTES - YouTube
Actually, this is the first time I heard the original. Somehow, I missed this one while growing up. I do recall my parents saying that the Hermits' song had "been done before". "Cover" was a term we didn't hear for a very long time; I think it was in the Seventies before I heard someone refer to a song being a "cover".

this...

April Stevens and Nino Tempo - Deep Purple - YouTube

before...

Artie Shaw & Helen Forrest - Deep Purple - YouTube
I can't find the original of this.

EDIT: That Lawrence Welk cover is hilarious! They thought that was a "modern spiritual"?! I guess it does have "sweet Jesus" and a Mary in there. I do have to admit: When this song was getting heavy airplay, everyone I knew was puzzling about the title: "What the heck is a toke?!" We were honestly completely clueless till likely late in the Seventies, when drug jargon was being explained. Then, we started "getting" a lot of those Sixties songs. "Ohmigosh! That IS a drug song!"

Last edited by MystMoonstruck; 04-05-2013 at 05:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 03:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Heard Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" before Gloria Jones' original version

Heard Wallflowers' version of "Heroes" before Bowie's original version

Heard Manfred Man's version of "Blinded by the Light" before hearing the original Springsteen version

Heard Happy Monday's "Step On" before hearing hearing John Kongos' "He's Gonna Step On You Again"

Heard the King Harvest and Toploader versions of "Dancing the Moonlight" before hearing the original Boffalongo version

Heard the Pogues' and The Dubliners' versions of "Dirty Old Town" before hearing the Ewan MacColl version

Heard the Red Hot Chili Peppers versions of "Higher Ground," "Subterranean Homesick Blues," and "Fire" before their respective original Stevie Wonder, Dylan and Hendrix versions

Heard the Hendrix and U2 versions of "All Along the Watchtower" before the original Dylan version

Heard many remakes by the Beatles before hearing their respective originals; may not have even heard some of the originals yet
Oh yeah, couple more...

Heard the Violent Femmes version of "Children of the Revolution" before the T. Rex version.

Heard the Smashmouth version of "Why Can't We Be Friends" before the War version.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:07 AM

522 posts, read 622,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Venus - Shocking Blue. I heard the Bananarama version first.
Ditto.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:33 PM

Heard the Joan Jett version of "Crimson & Clover" before the Shondells version.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:23 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,231,253 times
I heard this one long before I heard two other versions I've encountered.

Everybody's Talking (Movie Version) Midnight Cowboy OST - YouTube

This one was such a big surprise as I was going through flipsides of 45 rpms. I start playing a song titled "Echoes", and this is what I heard!

Spanky and Our Gang - Everybody's Talking - YouTube
On my single, the title is "Echoes".

Then, I found this on YouTube:

Fred Neil - Everybody's Talkin' (Live) - YouTube

Old 10-15-2013, 09:37 AM

Heard the Nine Inch Nails version of "Get Down Make Love" before the Queen version.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:52 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
I can't think of specific single song examples, although I suppose I could classify the entirety of Led Zeppelin I as being an anthology of covers of old blues sung by dead guys from Mississippi :-)

Old 10-15-2013, 02:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
This is easy for me:
I heard Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" before Gloria's (thanks 80's pop stations in the 90's)

Tainted love Soft cell lyrics - YouTube

GLORIA JONES- "TAINTED LOVE" (1964) - YouTube

I heard Orgy's version of "Blue Monday" before New Order's original (what happens when you grow up in the 2000's)

Blue Monday by Orgy - YouTube

New Order - Blue Monday - YouTube

Billy Idol's "Mony Mony" before Tommy James'

Billy Idol - Mony Mony (lyrics) - YouTube

Tommy James & the Shondells - Mony Mony - YouTube

Old 10-21-2013, 02:56 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,650,020 times
Default stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I can't think of specific single song examples, although I suppose I could classify the entirety of Led Zeppelin I as being an anthology of covers of old blues sung by dead guys from Mississippi :-)
hardly covers since page never gave credit to the original artist, the word you're looking for is stole.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:34 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,650,020 times
Default too many

being a big cheap trick fan --its 'aint that ashame'. in if fact I heard the live version before the studio version.
first cut is the deepest-rod stewart
here comes my baby-tremelos
september gurls-bangles(and dont ask why girls is spelled that way)
hound dog-elvis
girls talk/mohammads radio-linda ronstadt
I want candy -bow wow wow
cocaine/I shot the sheriff-clapton
Girls Just Want to Have Fun-cindy lauper
call me the breeze-lynyrd skynyrd
istanbul--TMBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music