Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:11 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,045,032 times

Advertisements

Growing up in the '80s, I probably heard 75% of those remakes before I heard the original ("Venus" for example). Prior to that, it was standard practice for record companies to release a few different versions of songs before one finally stuck to the charts and radio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 11:15 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Tommy Edwards' 1958 hit "It's All in the Game" was a cover of his own recording of the same song in 1951. To make it salable in the Rock Era, they had to remix it laying in drums and doo-wop singers, which were not in the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0LGJMcfgZQ

Last edited by jtur88; 10-22-2013 at 11:59 AM..

Old 10-22-2013, 05:40 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,722 times

The original was by Cher, but I like this one much more.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:49 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,946 times
A good place to start posting.

I think for most people that have listened to a lot of popular music over the years, an exhaustive list would be impossible, but some big ones that spring to mind:

Every song by other artists The Beatles covered. In fact, to this day, there are several songs that I still haven't heard the original versions of (all three of the Larry Williams songs they covered, Til There Was You, Mr. Moonlight, etc.).

On the flip side, I heard Motley Crue's version of Helter Skelter before I heard the Beatles' original.

I heard Joan Baez's The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down before I heard The Band's.

I heard Soft Cell's Tainted Love before Gloria Jones'.

Quiet Riot's Come on Feel the Noise (or however it's spelled) before Slade's.

The entire La Bamba film soundtrack with the exception of Eddie Cochran's Summertime Blues, but I heard Blue Cheer's version of that first.

Elvis Presley's Hound Dog before Big Mama Thornton's. And, Elvis' Your Cheating Heart before Hank Williams'. Most Elvis songs he covered by other artists basically, with only a couple of exceptions.

Hank Williams Jr.'s Kaw-Liga before his dad's. I know Hank Sr. didn't write it, but it's clearly the version Jr. was remaking.

BR549's Cherokee Boogie (I've never heard Moon Mullican's original, but I've heard Johnny Horton's version).

Alan Jackson's Tall Tall Trees before Roger Miller's.

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts' I love Rock 'n' Roll and Do You Wanna Touch before Gary Glitter's. And Joan Jett's Crimson and Clover before Tommy James and the Shondells.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:47 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Quiet Riot's Come on Feel the Noise (or however it's spelled) before Slade's.
Don't forget "Mama Were All Crazee Now" by Quiet Riot as well...

Quiet Riot - Mama Weer All Crazee Now - YouTube

Old 10-23-2013, 12:50 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
eric clapton's after midnight (don't think i've heard jj cale's version).

janis joplin's me and bobby mcgee (haven't heard kristofferson's version).

manford mann's earth band's blinded by the light (have not heard bruce springsteen's version).

have not heard = not interested.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:18 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
The first version of "The Train Kept A'Rollin' " that I heard was by The Yardbirds. I found out that it had been done previously by The Rock&Roll Trio, but the next version that I heard was by Aerosmith. Finally got a copy of that Rock&Roll Trio album on SolidSmoke and heard their version.

Wasn't until years later that I found out that the original was by Tiny Bradshaw and finally heard it on a local oldies radio show.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:37 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
Back in the mid-60's in the NYC area this cover of "You Didn't Have To Be So Nice" by the Boston Crab was on the radio before the DJ's realized the Loving Spoonful did the original version. There was a vote and listeners requested the original.

The Boston Crabs - You Didn't Have To Be So Nice - 1966 45rpm - YouTube

The Lovin' Spoonful "You Didn't Have To Be So Nice" 1965 - YouTube

Old 10-23-2013, 05:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Any of the covers from the Aerosmith album Honkin' On Bobo. I think all but The Grind or You Gotta Move was a cover...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music