Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 07:45 AM

538 posts, read 5,350,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsintheMinded View Post
undfan how long have you been playing. Also what did you do to build strength in your hands enough to handle heavy strings. (not to mention having fingers cut up for weeks on end). what advice would you give. (NICE GEAR!) you must be rich!

logging out but will read later for sure!
As for me....as I walk through the shadows of death I shall fear no evil or no man...

Snips - Midwest Tool & Cutlery - USA Midwest Snips®

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/wrenches

http://publicphoto.org/pics/2013/04/...16-580x435.jpg

http://www.caheatingandair.com/siteb...ck-192x102.png

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - YouTube

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undfan View Post
I posted all my gear a couple years ago and I don't think anything has changed:

All You Guitar Players Out There---What Are You Playing?

One thing I didn't note is I tune my 11's flat - Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb low to high. You can still bend strings, despite their girth, with a flat tuning. If you play along with Hendrix albums, SRV, Van Halen and a lot of others, you'll notice they use a flat tuning on most, if not all, their catalog.

As far as strength building, my best advice would to be to just play. Over the years, there have been some finger exercising items available at guitar shops. I considered them more of novelty and I don't know if they are still available. I have very thick fingers. While this may help with dealing with thick strings, it is hindrance when playing cleanly in the higher parts of the fingerboard as my fingers are wider than the frets above 17.
You can cheat to save your fingertips if your job doesn't produce those big calluses too.

Krazy Glue | Product Search

You Wreck Me - Tom Petty Official Video - YouTube

Old 11-30-2013, 03:59 AM

227 posts, read 10,454,018 times
Default Asking questions to Black Jade Stingray and Undfan, DigiTech RP-300 4 Sale

Work with tools!!!!!! Nobody ever thought of that!!!! (Looking over the snip catalog (Midwest Tool &
Cutlery) as well as various pipe wrenches remembering how HEAVY they are!) AWESOME IDEA!!!!!!! Crazy
Glue for fingers!!! Another awesomely brillant idea!!! Damn you're smart! Gawd I feel humbly happy.

Black Jade Stingray, 3.99 is a good price! (Ernie Ball 2220 Power Slinky Nickel Electric Guitar Strings) I read that they're hard for standard guitar tuning. Do you agree? Does tuning down a half step stop the strings from lifting?

Lot of kids (musicians) run guitars through DigiTech RP-300 to get a "pro, experience" sound. This one was sold already.

DigiTech RP-300 4 Sale

DigiTech RP-300 4 Sale - YouTube

"mark dennis 1 year ago in reply to Jaime Contreras

I am sorry, I already sold this one on eBay. $31.53 was the winning bid. I only have my own personal one. Thanks for your interest though."

To Black Jade Stingray and Undfan

What do you think about novices (compared to seasoned musicians) buying copy-cat strats to rebuild toward real strat-dom. (Other musicians' opinions are welcome. Also any who are not musicians but are diehard audiophiles [people who are "sensitive" to music's minutia, sound/tone, who also got great audio gear because they can't stand compressed sound, or lack of a particular tone not accessible (coming out of) inferior products]. You're welcome to join in.

Could you please show youtube examples (Black Jade Stingray is doing that and it's awesome!!! We appreciated you going that extra mile regarding the Gibson ES-335) for everybody's benefit. (lurkers, readers who follow Black Jade Stingray). Some readers/lurkers are as young as 10 but wanna hang out with us which is ok by me!

Last edited by AbsintheMinded; 11-30-2013 at 05:17 AM..

Old 12-01-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsintheMinded View Post
Work with tools!!!!!! Nobody ever thought of that!!!! (Looking over the snip catalog (Midwest Tool &
Cutlery) as well as various pipe wrenches remembering how HEAVY they are!) AWESOME IDEA!!!!!!! Crazy
Glue for fingers!!! Another awesomely brillant idea!!! Damn you're smart! Gawd I feel humbly happy.

Black Jade Stingray, 3.99 is a good price! (Ernie Ball 2220 Power Slinky Nickel Electric Guitar Strings) I read that they're hard for standard guitar tuning. Do you agree? Does tuning down a half step stop the strings from lifting?

Lot of kids (musicians) run guitars through DigiTech RP-300 to get a "pro, experience" sound. This one was sold already.

DigiTech RP-300 4 Sale

DigiTech RP-300 4 Sale - YouTube

"mark dennis 1 year ago in reply to Jaime Contreras

I am sorry, I already sold this one on eBay. $31.53 was the winning bid. I only have my own personal one. Thanks for your interest though."

To Black Jade Stingray and Undfan

What do you think about novices (compared to seasoned musicians) buying copy-cat strats to rebuild toward real strat-dom. (Other musicians' opinions are welcome. Also any who are not musicians but are diehard audiophiles [people who are "sensitive" to music's minutia, sound/tone, who also got great audio gear because they can't stand compressed sound, or lack of a particular tone not accessible (coming out of) inferior products]. You're welcome to join in.

Could you please show youtube examples (Black Jade Stingray is doing that and it's awesome!!! We appreciated you going that extra mile regarding the Gibson ES-335) for everybody's benefit. (lurkers, readers who follow Black Jade Stingray). Some readers/lurkers are as young as 10 but wanna hang out with us which is ok by me!
String buzzing at the frets or popping is usually caused by not having your guitar properly set up by a qualified technician in the back of most
guitar shops. The action on that guitar needs to be adjusted to suit your playing style and string gauge you will be using. Most any and all problems can be corrected that way asap. It pays to have a professional do it. Someone who really knows what they are doing. Most guitar shops have a technician in the back that his whole job or a great part of that is setting up guitars.

I know a lot of people who buy Washburns and whatnot and outfit them with genuine Fender pickups and various other hardware to build clone guitars for mush less than an original Fender American made in USA. They sound pretty close, however, when it comes to playing them you will notice a difference in areas such as the neck and frets when playing. The finial finish isn't as good and some jagged or sharp/rough edges might be present...thus contributing to a guitar that doesn't play as smooth or sound quite as good as a genuine. You are paying those highly skilled factory workers labor for attention to detail and only the finest high quality materials. Therefore that costs a lot of money. Back when I bought my American Fender Texas Special Stratocaster they ran about $800-$900 at that time depending on options and color. A standard at the same time was $700-$800. Imports were much less but you got what you paid for IMO.

As for those Ernie Ball Power Slinky 11's.....here's a vintage '61 Fender Stratocaster of Kenny's strung with them.

Listen to the way she sounds!!!

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Cincinnati 2011 - YouTube

Now about that "action" or set up......some players like a high action on their guitar. It aids in their finger style playing by producing a...da-da-da...da-da.... "bermp" in between the other strings and or chords just at the right time. You can hear that G string "smacking". John Lee Hookers unique guitar style depended heavily on a "high action" guitar....or set up that way if you will. Very very cool and unique.

John Lee Hooker - Boogie Chillin - YouTube

Old 12-01-2013, 06:59 PM

Special high action "tuned" purpose built Les Paul custom....."just" for playing slide.

You see it.....

ZZ Top - Just Got Paid (From "Live From Texas" DVD & Blu-Ray) - YouTube

The whole song start to finish without video.....

09 - Just got paid - YouTube

"This" guitar was built to replace Billy's priceless original 1959 Gibson Les Paul "Pearly Gates" http://98.129.34.155/BillyFGibbons/f...arlyGates0.jpg while out on the road touring. This is the main guitar used in MOST of the ZZ Top classic albums and smash hits library. The value of that all original historical instrument made it counterproductive to use it live while out on tour any longer. Six figure "ouch". lol Don't want it damaged, lost or stolen in anyway. Duh. lol

Old 12-02-2013, 07:58 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
les paul actually really hated the SG, but he kept it around because it sold like hot cakes and became super famous

Old 12-02-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
les paul actually really hated the SG, but he kept it around because it sold like hot cakes and became super famous

Paperback Writer - The Beatles - YouTube

Cream - Sunshine of Your Love - YouTube

Black Sabbath - Paranoid/Iron Man (Music Video) - YouTube

AC/DC - That's The Way I Wanna Rock 'N' Roll - YouTube

38 Special Back to Paradise - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music