Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 03:57 PM

538 posts, read 5,350,412 times

Advertisements

Do you guys remember this teardrop guitar Brian Jones used to play?

The Rolling Stones The Last Time 1965 - YouTube

Does anyone know what it was?

I think maybe custom......

He used it a lot on early Stones tunes I know for fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 04:01 PM

Found it....

brian jones teardrop guitar - Bing Images

BJFC - Replica Teardrop

Old 12-14-2013, 04:06 PM

372 posts, read 1,043,100 times
Vox Phantom

Old 12-14-2013, 05:48 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
I've owned a few solid body electrics since the 1960s but nothing really nice. I recently sold my last electric, a 1960s Harmony dual-pickup Bobkat H15. I've sort of lost track on where electrics have gone.

I don't want to hijack your thread if you had intended it to be about only electric guitars but here's a an interesting acoustic guitar design.

"The Eye of God" Stephen Bennett - YouTube

Old 12-14-2013, 05:51 PM

While I was looking for harp guitars I found this really strange electric:

Bill bailey playing his 6 neck guitar - YouTube

Old 12-14-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jade Stingray View Post
I also agree that the guitars in question need to be checked out by a professional. I play them and do minor maintenance and repairs.....nothing heavy though. It's easy to screw it up if you don't have the knowledge and training under your belt. Any guy in the back of a music shop can help you. It's his job and most times is more than qualified.

One important thing to remember is that many guitar necks are serial numbered. Any major repair requiring a complete neck replacement will alter the original guitar. If one is salvageable they will always go that route. Hate to replace a neck on an all original '57 Fender Stratocaster or '59 Gibson Les Paul......etc...
This can be tricky.
Vintage instruments: DO NOT attempt to fix anything on a vintage guitar, including re-fretting. DO NOT paint, sand, or varnish anything on a vintage guitar. For simplistic purposes, a vintage guitar is one made prior to 1970. These would include guitars built by Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Guild, Moserite, and Martin. These aren't the only manufacturers of guitars considered "vintage" and not every model made by these companies are considered "vintage", but it's a start. Anything other than re-stringing, bridge/saddle adjustments, minor truss-rod adjustments should be done by a professional, which brings up another point.

With regard to vintage instruments, not just any professional will do, including the original factory. There are techs out there that can make your guitar better than it ever was, but may destroy its antiquity (and value) in the process. The only place I would ever send anything vintage is:

Gruhn Guitars

At least I'd talk to them, and get a recommendation for someone within driving distance if you're concerned with sending something all the way to Nashville.

Modern high-end instruments. Strats, Teles, and other bolt-on neck guitars, you probably would just get a correct replacement neck from the manufacturer if it is beyond repair. Les Pauls have a neck-thru the body design and you'd almost have to send it back to the factory or factory recommended shop for the proper repairs.

Low-end instruments. Your local shop would probably do. Don't outspend the value of the instrument.

Why can't I get my well-worn vintage guitar refinished? Even a vintage guitar completely stripped of its original finish, fetches more dollars than the same one refinished with the proper paint and lacquer by a factory professional. I didn't make up the rules, that's the market. A modern instrument refinished by a professional with the correct paint and lacquer (or varnish), no problem I'm aware of - it's a used instrument.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
While I was looking for harp guitars I found this really strange electric:

Bill bailey playing his 6 neck guitar - YouTube
Rick Nielsen's 5 neck

Any videos of these guys actually playing the bottom ones?

Old 12-14-2013, 06:11 PM

High Plains Retired....I'm wanting to pick up a nice Martin acoustic for many years now.

C.F. Martin & Co.

The Who-Pinball Wizard - YouTube

Behind Blue Eyes (studio version) - The Who - YouTube

Magic Bus The Who ( HQ sound ) - YouTube

Duane Allman "Little Martha" - YouTube

Old 12-14-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undfan View Post
Any videos of these guys actually playing the bottom ones?
I haven't seen any.

I just keep thinking, you'd need a strong back to play that thing very long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music