Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 11:29 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

So this is inspired by another thread where someone said it was a deal breaker for someone over 40 to listen to hip hop. And I started thinking about this a little bit more, as I am in my mid-30s.

I remember when I was a kid, and talking to my parents about "classics." And they, like all parents, said our music will never be classic. And I'll quote my mom here "Do you think anyone will be listening to Snoopy* Dogg 20 years from now?"

*Yes she calls him Snoopy.

And of course we said "oh whatever Mom!" And now that day is here. Old School hip hop is suddenly the music of my childhood. I was shocked and appalled to hear
Horse and Carriage on an "old school hip hop" station. And then I thought, oh this song is like 15 years old.

Now, rapper like Kanye are my age. People like Snoop, Jay-Z, and Dre are all over 40. And this is the music we all grew up with.

I generally haven't been impressed with much recent hip hop, but Schoolboy Q and Kendrick Lamar are promising. Are we, as the "hip hop generation" supposed to give up our generations music because we are getting older? Those punk kids still seem to be listening to their punk. Same with the metal heads and the hair band aficionados.

So what's with the special hip hop stigma, that it is only for "young people?" What do you think, should hip hop heads retire at 40?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 01:07 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
Is Snoopy Dogg really old school?
What about those from the seventies and early eighties?
I am just curious because I don´t know much about hip hop.

There´s too much rules anyway. Everybody should listen to whatever music they enjoy.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Is Snoopy Dogg really old school?
What about those from the seventies and early eighties?
I am just curious because I don´t know much about hip hop.

There´s too much rules anyway. Everybody should listen to whatever music they enjoy.
I am not particularly sure. I do think of the 70s/80s hip hop as old school. But if you are not too much younger than me, well your old school hip hop is the early to mid 90s. When Snoop came out. And Warren G. Etc. Doggystyle came out 20 years ago!

Old 07-31-2014, 02:37 PM

986 posts, read 1,666,665 times
It makes me sad that old school hip hop is now considered the stuff from the mid 90s (Outkast, Snoop Dogg, Warren G, A Tribe Called Quest, etc.). I guess that means that we are aging.

I don't listen to most of the new hip hop though, which is another reason why I know I'm aging.

Jade - if you don't mind - what's the station you listen to? I use tunein radio and am always looking for old school hip hop stations.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:36 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
Here's B-Boy Ken Swift of The Rock Steady Crew. Kenny was about 43 in this clip.

Forget age. If you got skills then do your thang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRkR0L_mh9o

Old 07-31-2014, 10:09 PM

I'm in my early 40's.

I like that because of my age I have a broader view of hip hop and it's history compared to someone in their 20's now. I'm old enough to experienced hip hop culture when it was the new thing. I remember when elements like breaking,popping and graffiti were big. I've seen how rap has evolved. So I saw different styles of rap come along when they were new. So being the age I am I just think I have a much bigger music selection to choose from. There's times when I listen to early 80's rap,mid 80's,late 80's and 90's rap because I know all that stuff unlike a current day 20 year old. All they know is the current stuff. I know enough of the current stuff and the past stuff so I have more to listen to and enjoy.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:36 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am not particularly sure. I do think of the 70s/80s hip hop as old school. But if you are not too much younger than me, well your old school hip hop is the early to mid 90s. When Snoop came out. And Warren G. Etc. Doggystyle came out 20 years ago!
I am 42.
I consider Afrika Bambaataa, Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash and such as old school.
I also think that hip hop was ruined with the introduction of gangsta rap.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:18 AM

165 posts, read 194,428 times
I'm 53 and I occasionally listen to it.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post

I also think that hip hop was ruined with the introduction of gangsta rap.
I think it was more the gangsta bandwagon that kicked in around 94 that hurt the music. Too many rappers trying to be hard made rap too predictable.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:18 PM

89 posts, read 131,956 times
I'm 16 and "Rollin down the street, smokin indo, sippin on gin and juice". Nah, just joking, I love old school hip hop, especially west coast hip hop (Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, 2pac) and some east coast hip hop (Biggie, Gangstarr, Masta Ace). I also like today's hip hop, especially TDE members (Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q, Ab-Soul) and others. Hip hop is for everyone, I think I'll still listen to hip hop when I'll be 40+, just like some people I know still do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music