Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 09:16 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,407,799 times

Advertisements

I am glad that I am not the only one here that doesn't care for the Beatles. I also don't care for the Beach Boys.
Also, the garbage that passes for rap nowadays. I'll stick with the 90s stuff, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 12:04 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,059,272 times
I'll limit my opinion to bands that are very popular, but that I cannot stand.

Eagles
U2
Aerosmith

Old 08-05-2016, 02:26 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,243,365 times
*Queen
*Jimmy Buffett
*Elvis Costello
*Mumford & Sons

Old 08-05-2016, 03:37 PM

511 posts, read 402,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Eminem is probably the single most talented rhyme spitter in the history of the game.
His lyrical ability is ridiculous.
His technical ability is quite good, but his songwriting is a lot of meh to my ears. He's a bit like one of the many super shredder guitar players that can rip it up, but couldn't write a compelling song to save their respective lifes. His wordsmithing isn't that spectacular either, it's mostly excellent flow, meter, and delivery.

Quote:
I am not the biggest fan of most of his stuff, simply because I got out of the rap music thing when they all started rapping about killing each other and baby's mommas and all that garbage.
You're listening to the wrong hip hop acts if you think they "all" are like that.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:51 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,059,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
*Queen
*Jimmy Buffett
*Elvis Costello
*Mumford & Sons
hahah, I forgot about Mr. Buffett although I barely consider his act an artist or a band, hahaha

Old 08-05-2016, 03:53 PM

828 posts, read 693,778 times
Justin Bieber.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:10 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,791,139 times
Oh man. I heard not just one, not just two, but three of my most disliked performers yesterday while out and about.

1. Bob Seger-- cannot stand his voice. Old Time Rock and Roll is the worst song ever created, in my opinion. As soon as I hear those opening notes, my neck starts tingling and I get all spastic, fall to the ground and have tantrums. Okay, not quite that extreme, but close.

2. ZZ Top -- I've literally hurt myself in my haste to change the station when they come on. Owww, my finger.

3. George Thorogood -- he was recently in my hometown and I had to drive by where he was performing. I was SO scared I might hear him singing that I rolled up my windows and sped.

4. John Cougar MenstrualCramp -- shut up with that little ditty about Jack and Diane, please. I beg you.

5. Celine Dion -- "Hello, I am Celine Dion. I am ever so dramatic in all I do. *flourish flourish grand gesture*" Maybe I'd like her more if she farted or something while singing.

6. Walk the Moon-- that Shut Up and Dance With Me song grates on my nerves until I want to puke on my own shoes.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
*Queen
*Jimmy Buffett
*Elvis Costello
*Mumford & Sons
I'm limiting my mentions to bands in the genres I like (basically indie rock from 1977 on-wards and to a lesser degree classic rock), but there are a few other bands I forgot to mention:

*Depeche Mode
*Bon Jovi
*Poison
*King's X
*Various newer "alternative" rock bands I hear on commercial radio, like the Lumineers (and the aforementioned Mumford and Sons)

I also really dislike Frank Sinatra, but I generally don't like 1940s/1950s pre-rock era crooners as a whole (and in general strongly prefer instrumentally-driven music over vocally-driven music), so it is a little unfair of me to single him out.

Special mention: Stronger Sex (a local DC area band that plays what I'll call electro-reggae and is highly regarded by at least some people in the DC music scene; I saw them open a show last year for a couple other bands I wanted to check out and their music literally wanted me to cause physical harm to the band members - thankfully their set was only about 25-30 minutes)

I'm sure I'll think of a few other bands that fit this thread topic.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:40 PM

511 posts, read 402,579 times
Quote:
*King's X

Unless you've got a friend(s) who's playing King's X on the regular, where are you even going to hear their stuff to the point that you can't stand it? Radio has shunned them utterly.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post

Unless you've got a friend(s) who's playing King's X on the regular, where are you even going to hear their stuff to the point that you can't stand it? Radio has shunned them utterly.
I guess I'm showing my age a bit, but I remember when King's X was really, really hyped around about 1990. I've heard a few of their songs since then, and every single one of them I thought was terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music