Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 04:54 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

I gotta say this new album of theirs really is solid and kicks major ass. It's the best stuff since The Black album. I tuned out of Metallica several years ago just because I just wasn't feeling it. Even Death Magnetic wasn't all that great, it was pretty good next to their previous work.

This new album is pretty hard and fast and has some really tasty riffs on it. I don't know if Robert Trejilio had more input on the riffs and rhythm section in general but they've really sorta got a little closer back to the roots, not entirely, but they've really got some balls on this go around. It's not super heavy or fast, but really pretty good.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 09:09 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
In my opinion they were THE BEST in the 80s (Before they slowed down)

Old 12-02-2016, 05:54 PM

Metallica is the Gen X's version of Led Zep and no responses here.. LOL... this sub forum continues to amaze me at times. LOL, been on this forum for 9 years now and some of the responses, or lack of, on this board trip me out.

No thoughts at all???

Old 12-02-2016, 08:32 PM

749 posts, read 856,581 times
OP, here is my opinion. I heard the single but haven't heard the album and have no plans to do so. Why? Because just like you said Metallica ended some years ago. They reached their creativity peak in 1991 when they released the "Black album". Ever since it's been constantly going down hill. "load' and "Reload" were not as bad as they many critics said back in the days, the band had just took a different artistic direction a more "flavor-of-the-day" type of sound. The 80's had been over and it was time to move. Then "Garage inc" and "SM" weren't too bad either. Then in 2003 comes "Saint Anger", and there I was done with Metallica. Actually not done with their music, I just stopped paying attention to their new material. Each and every single they released after didn't prove me wrong, or made to review my decision.

The thing is heavy metal and rock music across the board is, schematically, the expression of young males' frustrations to have lots of libido to spare and no one to spend it on. In your 20's it's just part of who you are. In your 30's you can still relate, but the feeling starts to be fade. In your 40's and 50's it's just gone. Many 50 year old men are more tortured by their prostates than by their sex drive, and that has an effect on their music. James Hetfield never was an outstanding vocalist but with age his voice is getting even worse. In my book it is better to quit while at the top. But I guess the Metallica guys, though already filthy rich, can't turn down a the million dollars coming their way.

The same applies to Gun's and roses, Iron Maiden, late Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Megadeth and some many others. It's not their recent material that drags people to concert halls, but their classic stuff. If they don't know when to quit, I know when to quit buying their records.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:36 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I gotta say this new album of theirs really is solid and kicks major ass. It's the best stuff since The Black album. I tuned out of Metallica several years ago just because I just wasn't feeling it. Even Death Magnetic wasn't all that great, it was pretty good next to their previous work.

This new album is pretty hard and fast and has some really tasty riffs on it. I don't know if Robert Trejilio had more input on the riffs and rhythm section in general but they've really sorta got a little closer back to the roots, not entirely, but they've really got some balls on this go around. It's not super heavy or fast, but really pretty good.

Thoughts?
I only like their first three albums -- will I like this new one?

Old 12-02-2016, 08:38 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Metallica is the Gen X's version of Led Zep and no responses here.. LOL... this sub forum continues to amaze me at times. LOL, been on this forum for 9 years now and some of the responses, or lack of, on this board trip me out.

No thoughts at all???
I did not even know Metallica had a new album out. I live in Los Angeles and we haven't had a metal station here since 1995, due to "changing demographics".

Old 12-02-2016, 10:32 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Thumbs up *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat
I only like their first three albums
First 3 albums are straight analog and YES they are excellent!!!!! (The 1988 record (And justice for all) was not analogue..... I had it and it did not sound good -- Sounded like it was under water)

I wouldnt mind getting the first 3 though!

Old 12-03-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
First 3 albums are straight analog and YES they are excellent!!!!! (The 1988 record (And justice for all) was not analogue..... I had it and it did not sound good -- Sounded like it was under water)

I wouldnt mind getting the first 3 though!
And justice for all is notorious for it's bad mix, the guys in the band still lament about how bad the mix came out on it. LOL... Same goes with Death Magnetic, Rick Rubin mixed it "too loud" if you can understand what I mean, it is noticeably louder than other mp3's when streaming several different bands. I guess he was trying to make it stand it, but it just sounds silly too me, like trying too hard to be loud.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
OP, here is my opinion. I heard the single but haven't heard the album and have no plans to do so. Why? Because just like you said Metallica ended some years ago. They reached their creativity peak in 1991 when they released the "Black album". Ever since it's been constantly going down hill. "load' and "Reload" were not as bad as they many critics said back in the days, the band had just took a different artistic direction a more "flavor-of-the-day" type of sound. The 80's had been over and it was time to move. Then "Garage inc" and "SM" weren't too bad either. Then in 2003 comes "Saint Anger", and there I was done with Metallica. Actually not done with their music, I just stopped paying attention to their new material. Each and every single they released after didn't prove me wrong, or made to review my decision.

The thing is heavy metal and rock music across the board is, schematically, the expression of young males' frustrations to have lots of libido to spare and no one to spend it on. In your 20's it's just part of who you are. In your 30's you can still relate, but the feeling starts to be fade. In your 40's and 50's it's just gone. Many 50 year old men are more tortured by their prostates than by their sex drive, and that has an effect on their music. James Hetfield never was an outstanding vocalist but with age his voice is getting even worse. In my book it is better to quit while at the top. But I guess the Metallica guys, though already filthy rich, can't turn down a the million dollars coming their way.

The same applies to Gun's and roses, Iron Maiden, late Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Megadeth and some many others. It's not their recent material that drags people to concert halls, but their classic stuff. If they don't know when to quit, I know when to quit buying their records.
I'm late 40's, so I guess I'm done rocking to loud hard music????

Old 12-03-2016, 03:20 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
I haven't bought Hardwired because, truthfully, I haven't purchased a Metallica album since I picked up Garage Inc. That was a long time ago.

I do like "Atlas, Rise!" and the title track. But my suspicions were confirmed when somebody told me most of the songs on Hardwired add up to Metallica's usual plodding mid-tempo fare. I will investigate further.

I've always preferred Megadeth. Yes, Dave Mustaine's vocals really suck now, and he was never a great "singer" to begin with. But they did make a great "comeback" album with Endgame in '09, and the last couple are also better than what they were turning out roughly 15 years ago.

And while we're talking about comebacks, Queensryche and Fates Warning have shown us they've got lots of fuel in their respective tanks with their new albums Condition Human and Theories of Flight. Both are the BEST records they've made in 20 years. No joke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music