Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 07:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times

Advertisements

Hi, let's talk about punk and hardcore.

First of all, what do The Ramones, The Clash, and The Sex Pistols have to do with "that crap on MTV"?

I agree with El Rhino: I refuse to talk about what is "true" punk and what is not. Similarly, it's pretty useless to trade taunts about things like who started punk or which side of the Atlantic can claim its origin or which artists sold out the most. Although, if there's interest, I'm happy to discuss...but for now, I'd rather talk about some bands.

"My" punk comes from the early to late 1980s so that includes hardcore and that's where I like to start. For me, DC (that's Washington, folks) Hardcore (or harDCore if you're cool) is the good stuff. Bad Brains started it and then young Ian MacKaye and his teenage buddies ran with it (Brains moved on to New York in the meantime - to a scene dominated by teenage drunks like Cro-Mags). Minor Threat is the World's Most Important HC Band. The other best one were called Void. If you like hardcore, listen to Void. There are a bunch of others so do your Google and Wikipedia homework. harDCore was over by about 1983 because DC bands simply stopped playing it. They moved on to Post-Hardcore, which is still punk but not hardcore so I won't elaborate for now. In California there was a notable hardcore band called The Circle Jerks and they are the only West Coast hardcore that I like. Black Flag is also from there and a DC native named Henry Rollins made that band famous. I have always thought that Black Flag is pretty boring musically but I hear they were once quite popular. Dead Kennedy's also comes from CA; they were a decent band.

Well, I have not even touched non-hardcore punk yet but I am already tired of typing. Punk is a genre as dynamic and multi-faceted as Jazz or, well, Rock itself. So, yeah, I'm into punk/hardcore. Let's have more but I'm done for now..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 08:13 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,562 times
I'm surprised noone mentioned The Exploited. And although controversial, Skrewdriver is another old one.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:36 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times
Pennywise is my favorite punk band of all time.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:57 PM

201 posts, read 432,634 times
Anyone like Leftover Crack?

I also love older Against Me! though I think their last cd could be considered the crap on mtv

Old 04-01-2008, 01:44 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
Good call, Tony. I might actually head out to Pennslyvania in May for the East Coast Oi! Fest, I guess the reformed 4-Skins are headlining it. I'm not sure how the lineup looks and I'm sure they're all going to be way past their prime, but it should be a good time. "Evil" and "ACAB" are essential Oi! tracks. They tried a Last Resort reunion and US tour about two years ago and unfortunately that fell through during the planning stages. As comical as they seem with all the "oi oi skinhead, get yer hair cut" lyrics, I'd say they're one of my favorite bands in the genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
I'm surprised noone mentioned The Exploited. And although controversial, Skrewdriver is another old one.
Good call on the 'Driver. Another one of my favorites, however controversial they may be. I always thought it was funny that people used to say "I'm not racist or nothin', but Skrewdriver kicks ass" or make sure to point out that they like "old Skrewdriver" and not the later racist material. I'm not that old (26), but when I was a teenager there wasn't really any good internet mailorder or MP3's out there, so getting ahold of certain music was very hard to do and almost an artform. I remember a friend of mine had a copy of a copy of a copy Skrewdriver cassette that I thought was so cool that I got to hear that band. Now when I talk to younger kids into that sort of thing, access to stuff like that is pretty much a given with MP3 and easy internet mailorder.

I saw the Exploited two years ago here. I never was a big fan, but they put on a pretty good show. Ol' Wattie was on point for being an old dude. I saw Terror a couple weeks ago in Omaha with Earth Crisis. Everyone brought the XmoshX.

B. Frank - Did you see "American Hardcore"? If not, it's a pretty cool documentary on the early US hardcore scene with lots of footage/interviews of the bands you mentioned. HR from Bad Brains is a complete basket case!
Springa embarrasses himself and Vic Biondi (Articles of Faith) sounds like he's auditioning for a Mountain Dew commercial ("It was intense and in your face!"). The release of this documentary spawned a lot of criticism because every yahoo on the internet had to rack their brains, think up some obscure and irrelevant band to the hardcore scene and then try to discredit it because "they didn't even mention such and such band". I guess that's what happens to documentaries where the audience generally goes in thinking they're experts on the subject.

Big Swede - How about Perkele from your native land? I just got into those guys about a year ago, great band.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:50 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
First of all, what do The Ramones, The Clash, and The Sex Pistols have to do with "that crap on MTV"?
I didn´t say they have anything to do with each other.
I said I´m not interested in talking about them.
I´m a fan of the bands you are talking about, like Minor Threat,Void,Circle Jerks,all those bands.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Big Swede - How about Perkele from your native land? I just got into those guys about a year ago, great band.
I don´t think I have heard them,although I know the name.
I´m pretty tired of the swedish scene right now.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:47 AM

Isn't Disfear from Sweden?
That's a good HC band.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post

B. Frank - Did you see "American Hardcore"? If not, it's a pretty cool documentary on the early US hardcore scene with lots of footage/interviews of the bands you mentioned. HR from Bad Brains is a complete basket case!
I have not seen it but it's definitely on my list. Actually, I already decided to buy it because that's the type of thing that I'll want to see several times.
Sad about HR. He is a HC hero but, tragically, he now sucks. He single-handedly ruined the recent Bad Brains "comeback" album. It's pretty amusing to go online and search for comments from people who saw BB live in the late 80s and subsequent reunions. Lots of comments about a drug-addled HR acting insane onstage. Oh well, he's still the best punk vocalist of the 80s.

As to Skrewdriver: For all the political ranting that Jello Biafra has done and continues to do, the best 4 words he ever spoke were these:
"Nazi Punks F**k Off"

Old 04-01-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Isn't Disfear from Sweden?
That's a good HC band.
Yes,they are.
One of our best bands together with Skitsystem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music