Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 11:42 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times

Advertisements

It's one thing if they want it to be seen and distributed. Heck, free press! That's up to the artist.

It's another thing when my friend rents video games, burns them, and returns them to the store. That's just thievin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 11:43 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Then the theory about going to a store and stealing a CD is the same isn't valid either. But as far as distributing goes - you know when kids take school photos? I've seen so many people scan those into their computer and send them to people via email. So by that token - those people have stolen those pictures.
Not if the photographer has released his rights to the picture.

And please, can we not use 'everyone else does this which is also wrong' as justification for doing other things that are wrong?

Old 06-13-2009, 11:55 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not if the photographer has released his rights to the picture.

And please, can we not use 'everyone else does this which is also wrong' as justification for doing other things that are wrong?
Yeah in most cases they're not - when you take photos at school (like the prom or just regular class pictures) it tells you in black and white that creating copies is stealing; people still do it.

And please this is an open forum so I can say whatever I want to. My point is that people here have called others who've admitted to downloading music thieves. So if you've done something that is considered "stealing" than that also makes you a thief so get off your high horse. Stealing is stealing. If you don't like my posts than feel free not to read them but don't tell me what no to say.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Then the theory about going to a store and stealing a CD is the same isn't valid either.
What?

Quote:
But as far as distributing goes - what about professional photos? I've seen so many people scan those into their computer and send them to people via email. So by that token - those people have stolen those pictures but I'm sure most people don't give it a second thought.
If they were not authorized to scan and send copies, then it's illegal whether they gave it a second thought or not.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:56 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What?
I was referring to the posters who said that downloading music is the same as walking into Target, sticking one in your pocket and walking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If they were not authorized to scan and send copies, then it's illegal whether they gave it a second thought or not.
I know that. My point was that people are calling other people thieves and complaining about how they're robbing artists. If your sister emails you the kids school picture are you going to send her an email back telling her she's a thief and she's robbing the photographer? I hate double standards.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:06 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,820,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's one thing if they want it to be seen and distributed.
In some cases they do want it to be seen and distributed. But in some cases they just don't care. Those ones who are too paranoid their music can be stolen will hardly become very successful in this hi-tech age.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
I was referring to the posters who said that downloading music is the same as walking into Target, sticking one in your pocket and walking out.
They're both theft, just operating on slightly different legal theories.

Quote:
I know that. My point was that people are calling other people thieves and complaining about how they're robbing artists. If your sister emails you the kids school picture are you going to send her an email back telling her she's a thief and she's robbing the photographer? I hate double standards.
Here's the difference: I presume nobody's sister is sending out thousands of copies of a their kids school photos, much less tens of thousands of sisters sending out hundreds of school photos to random strangers every day. If your sister sends you a scanned copy of her kid, the losses to the photographer are so nominal as to not bother doing anything about it. On the same token, nobody is going to come after someone who borrows a CD from their friend and makes a copy of it for himself.

But file-trading sites like Limewire are facilitating the unauthorized distribution of literally millions of unauthorized copies every day. The scale and impact is infinitely greater than Mom sending a scanned photo of her darling little Brantley to Aunt Linda. Hence the "double standard."

Old 06-13-2009, 03:13 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,280 times
I steal it. And I don't care.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:15 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,278 times
Steal:
When I was 12 Napster came into my life. Never bought a single CD after that. But I have discovered plenty new music and been to tons of concerts of bands that I would have never known about had it been to "pirating".

Old 06-13-2009, 03:47 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I steal it. And I don't care.
Wow, charming. Your parents must be so proud.

I imagine you wouldn't be so cavalier if someone was stealing from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music