Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 12:20 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jade Stingray View Post
My favorite Rush song by far.....the long version too.....

Rush - Working Man - YouTube
Great post, Black Jade Stingray!!! Early Rush fan. Do you like other CD or songs?

Welcome to the Rush Fans Thread!

To compliment an early song here is another. This needs posted again as it's about 8-10 pages ago.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x-xEr489gHY

ENJOY RUSH NATION!

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 09:37 AM

Default And a Great Opinion You Have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I have been a Rush fan for quite some time now, I first saw them touring for the 2112 album. I was lucky enough to see them several times since, Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Presto and Test For Echo. As far as my favorite three songs ... I would put any three songs from any of these three albums against any other music they made - 2112, Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres.

Music, as an art form, is appreciated individually and opinions can and should vary immensely. For my ears the time frame from 1976 til 1981 was by far their best music. In my mind I picture that time frame as the bands version of a hail Mary pass. All or nothing. Like us or not, here we are. Musically I am sure they have progressed and are better musicians now than they have ever been. But you cannot put the lightning back in the bottle. They seemed to have a 'damn the torpedo's' mentality back then that they no longer have. Hell, they no longer need to have that approach as their body of work clearly speaks for itself. But back when they were hungry they did their best work. My opinion.
Hi Bulldawgfan,

Great post. I'm glad you posted your views. I doubt many here got to see so many early shows like you did. It's great to have views from their nearly 40 years of working.

Each member has stated in various concert VIDS they pushed themselves and we're writing beyond their abilities when they were young. They won't name songs, except Neil, who says playing Tom Sawyer live is a challenge each time. Maybe different songs were challenging for different members...IDK. Alex refuses to play certain songs like Emotion Detector in concerts.

I do know we're glad to your post as part of the Rush Fans page and hope you'll post more including some of your favorites from those albums.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I9H3OoW7xCA
Here's Fly by Night in your honor::

ENJOY!

MSR (loyal Crimson Tide fan......Roll Tide!)

Old 12-08-2013, 06:20 PM

538 posts, read 5,350,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Great post, Black Jade Stingray!!! Early Rush fan. Do you like other CD or songs?

Welcome to the Rush Fans Thread!

To compliment an early song here is another. This needs posted again as it's about 8-10 pages ago.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x-xEr489gHY

ENJOY RUSH NATION!

MSR
I have several I like...I also know Pete Townshend was a huge influence on them (by
ear).....those chords are Who and Pete chords. Check it out.....'Working Man'. Also a big part of Van Halen as well......many of the same chords.

The Seeker by The Who - YouTube

Old 12-08-2013, 06:23 PM

And don't ask me for sure how I did 'that'...lol

I just did, alright.....lol

Old 12-08-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
And don't ask me for sure how I did 'that'...lol

I just did, alright.....lol
Ok, I won't Black Jade Stingray.

That is the first time I've heard anything about Townsend. I know Genesis and Yes were influences.

Check out earlier parts of this thread so you'll know exactly how Rush and Van Halen were directly connected. I wrote it so I remember

Because the above post didn't include all I thought it did, here's the famous "speech" by Alex.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7M7AEi68a20.

and the softer side early on.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Bhtl5n8sQ
Entry Nous

Keep posting and rocking in the land of Rush

MSR

Old 12-08-2013, 09:13 PM

We can do this too....

Do you hear that/this?

The Who - I Can't Explain - YouTube

Behind Blue Eyes (studio version) - The Who - YouTube

^^^^^^^^^

Limelight - Rush (Official Video) - YouTube

My "ear" does.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:52 PM

Told you guys....lol

I even forgot about "these"...lol

Who - Summertime Blues (live,1969) - YouTube

Rush - Summertime Blues - YouTube

Old 12-09-2013, 05:18 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Hi Bulldawgfan,

Great post. I'm glad you posted your views. ...

I do know we're glad to your post as part of the Rush Fans page and hope you'll post more including some of your favorites from those albums.

MSR (loyal Crimson Tide fan......Roll Tide!)
Thanx for the welcome, MSR!
As I mentioned in my first post, when discussing musical tastes, as in individual likes and dislikes, there are no wrong answers. But I will certainly list a couple of my favorite Rush songs with a small explanation as to why they are my favorites.

I bought my first album in 1973. Yes, I am that old! The songs I call my favorites since then have all had lyrics that 'hit home' with me. As strange as this may seem, the music was just the soundtrack for the lyrics for me. Do not get me wrong, I can appreciate great music for what it is, but without great lyrics the song will never make my favorite list. And every so often a lyricist will nail it. They will assemble words in such a way that makes them timeless. Niel Peart has put that lightning in the bottle several times early in Rush's timeline. These two songs, from a lyrical standpoint, are as much or more relevant today than when they were brand new. For that reason I am posting the lyric version of the videos for these songs.

Rush-Something For Nothing (Lyrics) - YouTube

Rush-The Trees (Lyrics) - YouTube

These two songs, because of the lyrics, will never seem stale to me. The story will never be old.
I can only think of one other lyricist, in roughly the same time frame, who has managed to pull this off twice like Mr. Peart. Maynard James Keenan, the front man and lyricist for the band Tool. I will not clutter this Rush fan page with music from anyone other than them, but I recommend a reading of the lyrics of these two songs from the latest Tool release, 10,000 Days - Vicarious and Right in Two. These two songs, along with the Rush songs above, speak of the human condition to me. They make fun of us. Because we deserve to be made fun of. And that is what makes these songs better than the rest. And my favorites.

Again, thanx for the welcome.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:17 AM

Default Too Funny to Exclude

The band was inducted into the RRHF in April 2013. However, I just found this and it is too funny, and accurate, to not share.

Hell Has Frozen Over - RRHF Nominations - The Trek BBS

Enjoy

MSR

Old 12-11-2013, 12:28 AM

Default We both have good ears.

Quote:
Absolutely, Black Jack Stingray, I hear it too. I simply said I hadn't heard of the Townsend reference before. Now I have.

So glad you found this page so you can a new dimension we've been lacking. It's fun to learn tidbits and knowledge from others.

Please keep posting great info like that. Heck, you might even know the answer to my "Fear Triology" question I posted pages back

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music