Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2007, 06:02 PM

688 posts, read 2,835,542 times

Advertisements

Cil,

Quote:
I liked Michael Jackson, too. It was before he got kinda weird. Thriller was awesome.
Ah yes, Thriller was like the best thing he ever did! Just kinda weird, oh no, he's like a mega freakazoid!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 06:22 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu108 View Post

I was suprised to see you put up Europe, wow! They had like 2 songs I remember, Carrie and The Final Countdown...lol.
''Rock the night'' by Europe is a rockin song. Its on Youtube....

Old 05-16-2007, 12:10 AM

82 posts, read 618,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
...Did you ever watch 24 Hour Party People?
Then you REALLLY should see Human Traffic.

Where is The Clash??
... Duran Duran, AHA, Gary Neuman, The Specials, The Pogues, Psychedelic Furs, U2, Dead Kennedys, Soft cell, love & rockets, The The, Smiths, Eddie Grant, Cindy Lauper, and Iron Maiden...oh, Quiet Riot..and probably should confess to The Cure... I better stop now of i'm never going to lol

**some great bands being posted....gonna be updating the iPod!**

Old 05-16-2007, 05:26 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Loved it! Fine cinema.
Got my older kid to watch it too, to give him some background.
Love Steve Coogan.
Again, I am older, but I still was sort of dipping my toe in the 80's scene.
(heh--as much as you can in 1980's Denver, Colorado. )
Coogan was great in Night at the Museum too! As for Party People, I just love Michael Winterbottom films. Ever see Welcome to Sarajevo?

I was up to my ears in the 80's scene. I even had my Frankie Say Relax t-shirt! Anyone remember those???

Old 05-16-2007, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
I'm forever stuck in the 80's and love that decade as i had a blast being in the navy (USS Sampson DDG-10) and got to travel all around the world and had sooooo much fun in the Carribean listening/dancing to Duran Duran at the Pina Colada Clubs back then.....

Yes i love the 80's Hairbands......RATT, Def Leppard, MotleyCrue, Ozzy, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, Great White, Dokken, Iron Maiden, Cinderella, Poison, LA Guns etc... and the greatest 80's Rock song ever ''Welcome to the jungle''.....
Round and Round is on my Ipod ... Ratt rocks! And my favorite Gunners song is Paradise City. My 7 year old sings it now! She's so proud when she says "Mommy, this kind of music is called heavy metal". Axl is from my homestate too. What a weirdo.

My 5 year old loves Men Without Hats! Do I have cool kids or what? <mommy says proudly>.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu108 View Post
Nice, as far as I got into punk rock was The Cure, The Ramones and The Sex Pistols as well as Concrete Blonde.

Oh yeah, I also liked the Pretenders, Eurythmics, the Cars, and Billy Idol baby!

I was suprised to see you put up Europe, wow! They had like 2 songs I remember, Carrie and The Final Countdown...lol.
My 7 year old likes to sing Final Countdown and my 5 year old likes the trumpets.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post

My 5 year old loves Men Without Hats!
Safety Dance!

Red Hot Chili Peppers formed in the 80's--they were kind of in their funky stage then.
Funny how we "educate" our kids according to the stuff we loved as kids ourselves. (For me it was Neil Young, Hendrix, Grateful Dead etc.)
But it's really cool when they grow up, develop their own tastes, then turn you on to their own favorites.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:13 AM

I remember my Dad singing The Eve of Destruction and For What It's Worth ... heavy stuff for a toddler!

And how could I forget Velvet Underground!!! Ugh!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 07:07 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Okay Domergirl and Cil, I'm a kindred spirit too! I was a new wave/punk rocker too. I grew up in the LA/OC area in CA and listened to KROQ 106.7 FM. I now have Sirius Radio and I listen to First Wave 22 and it has all the DJ's who were on KROQ, so it's like being transported back in time to my Jr. High and High School years!

BTW, Steven Patrick Morissey is on tour right now, as we speak!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 08:20 AM

At least you grew up in a place where you could be exposed to the great music! I grew up in a small town of 1500 people in northern indiana! We had a whole buncha nuthin' but top 40 drivel. There was a local career center that played new wave at night and then Notre Dame's station played new wave starting at 11pm. At least when we got MTV, I could actually see flock of seagulls! The first time I heard Anarchy in the UK and Blitzkrieg Bop, I was hooked. I wanted nothing more than to go to the Lower East Side of Manhattan and hang at CBGBs, as a 14-15 year old! I do blame my parents somewhat. They bought me the Talking Heads album, More Songs about Buildings and Food (it has Take me to the River on it). I remember hearing U2 for the first time (the Boy record). I went to school and was going on about this awesome band called U2 and I got the strangest looks! I also remember being blown away by INXS's Shabooh Shabbah album and when Radio Free Europe by REM came out ... so all my favorite bands were acronyms of some kind. Needless to say, I was a total oddball and never fit in until I got to college and new wave became college rock and I found a cool group of friends who listened to the Smiths, New Order, Shriekback ... .

And then U2, INXS and REM became mainstream and I quit listening to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music