Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 06:25 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times

Advertisements

Quite honestly, you will find few singers who can really sing in today's pop mainstream. Actually, that has been true for quite awhile. If you want to hear some quality singers who are under 40, you really have to look in the jazz genre. I fully admit being prejudiced here, but that is where some young musical "lions" (and lionesses) can be found today.

Case in point, whose work I've posted before--Sara Gazarek. This young lady is terrific in anybody's book, and can cross genres effortlessly.

Check her out here, singing an Ellington tune written way back in in the early 1930's, then a Billy Joel tune from the '70's/'80's, then a Leonard Cohen tune from the '80's. Great voice, great musicianship. Yes, they are out there.

Sara Gazarek – I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good) (Live) – Free listening at Last.fm

Sara Gazarek – And So It Goes – Free listening at Last.fm

Sara Gazarek – Hallelujah – Free listening at Last.fm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 06:26 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
You're only 15, your opinions on EVERYTHING will change in the next couple of years, trust me.
It depends on the person. I still like many of the things I liked at 15. In fact I think most people have at least some continuity in their life. I like some things I liked as a small boy. Like Snoopy and "Simon & Garfunkel."

I think it might be possible to like oldies without totally dismissing current music. If we're counting Sarah MacLachlan as contemporary I like her. I also like some recent musicians who are maybe not mainstream. For example Ingrid Michaelson and I even like Feist okay. For me I tend to like female singers better than male ones. Although on instruments it seems like there are more male instrumentalists than women. Also instrumental music is one area modern pop/rock seems weak. You don't have anything like "The Ventures" or "Booker T" for our era. I think the last instrumental hit was in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

Also if you're into blues-rock, as luke seems to be, most of what you'll like is probably not going to be deemed "mainstream" right now. Still I think I may have heard some blues-rock groups somewhere.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:16 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I play guitar and drums, so I spend a fair amount of time in music stores. I can't remember ever hearing a young person play anything other than metal. Once I heard a kid playing AC/DC (extremely well, by the way...so well that his parents bought him a Les Paul Custom and a Marshall half-stack on the spot). Unfortunately, I've never heard a Page/Hendrix/Beck/Clapton riff coming from a kid in a music store.

I don't know John Mayer's music, so I don't know who plays that stuff.
The guys hear me all the time jamming them at Guitar Center! However, I am no longer a kid!! Damn!!!LMAO...........

Old 03-28-2010, 10:43 PM

503 posts, read 710,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
It depends on the person. I still like many of the things I liked at 15. In fact I think most people have at least some continuity in their life. I like some things I liked as a small boy. Like Snoopy and "Simon & Garfunkel."

I think it might be possible to like oldies without totally dismissing current music. If we're counting Sarah MacLachlan as contemporary I like her. I also like some recent musicians who are maybe not mainstream. For example Ingrid Michaelson and I even like Feist okay. For me I tend to like female singers better than male ones. Although on instruments it seems like there are more male instrumentalists than women. Also instrumental music is one area modern pop/rock seems weak. You don't have anything like "The Ventures" or "Booker T" for our era. I think the last instrumental hit was in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

Also if you're into blues-rock, as luke seems to be, most of what you'll like is probably not going to be deemed "mainstream" right now. Still I think I may have heard some blues-rock groups somewhere.
thank you for understanding,and actually I turned 16 now and i still like blues so w/e lol. the black keys and the white stripes are doing blues real good.just keep a look out for when I graduate and start my own band.look for a blues rock band out of chicago........

Old 03-29-2010, 05:31 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
It's a damn good thing music doesn't sound like it did in the 60s or 70s. Can you imagine trying to play music of the same sound for 40 years? Yeah, you run out of ideas. Music evolves, thank God. And every era has it's awesome artists, just because you don't hear it on the golden oldies 100 times a day doesn't mean it's any lesser quality.

By the way, I went through the same phase you're going through. Trust me, you usually grow out of it. Hearing the same stuff OVER AND OVER AGAIN will take its toll on you. Soon you'll branch out and discover other artists. Try Sonic Youth.

Yeah...now we get reeeally good crap like this.....

YouTube - Timbaland - If We Ever Meet Again ft. Katy Perry

Music hasn't "evolved" ....it has "devolved".

Music is lazy today. It's really insulting to "music" even call some of this stuff music. If there are real singers out there, the record companies could give a rat's petooty. They just want the quick bucks. Black kids especially are losing the real instruments now......that bass, the drums, the horns......it's fading fast (if it's here at all). And how can that be a good thing?? You can't spin that. Computers are a shoddy substitute and the problem is that this generation doesn't even know that it IS a substitute. This is all they know. Some kid on another thread thought black music started with hip hop (bless his heart). He just didn't know. We are not passing down the history. My kids are listening to old school. Matter of fact, they get a history lesson with it too. They really like it. But it's all about exposure..... My daughter is nine. She's the only kid on her street who knows who the Spinners, Chris Botti, The Ojays, Sade and The Ohio Players are.

(steps off of soap box)

Old 03-29-2010, 12:05 PM

924 posts, read 1,644,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Yeah...now we get reeeally good crap like this.....

YouTube - Timbaland - If We Ever Meet Again ft. Katy Perry

Music hasn't "evolved" ....it has "devolved".

Music is lazy today. It's really insulting to "music" even call some of this stuff music. If there are real singers out there, the record companies could give a rat's petooty. They just want the quick bucks. Black kids especially are losing the real instruments now......that bass, the drums, the horns......it's fading fast (if it's here at all). And how can that be a good thing?? You can't spin that. Computers are a shoddy substitute and the problem is that this generation doesn't even know that it IS a substitute. This is all they know. Some kid on another thread thought black music started with hip hop (bless his heart). He just didn't know. We are not passing down the history. My kids are listening to old school. Matter of fact, they get a history lesson with it too. They really like it. But it's all about exposure..... My daughter is nine. She's the only kid on her street who knows who the Spinners, Chris Botti, The Ojays, Sade and The Ohio Players are.

(steps off of soap box)
What is the point that you're trying to make exactly, and whom are you directing that point toward? Many of us came to the stark, yet paradoxically beautiful realization that life goes on and that music evolves and perpetuates itself.

Every so often we get the disgruntled late 30 to 40-something who feels the need come and wave their cane around at the new breed of whipper-snappers that just won't stay off his lawn. It then becomes my job to walk them back inside, calmly remind them to take their medication, and inform them that there's a Golden Girls marathon on TV Land, all while everyone else burns a pentagram on the lawn to roast their weenies over. I just don't want to see that to happen to you. I really like your lawn.

If that all sounds ridiculous it's because that being a member of music forums for almost 5 years has taught me that spewing such ridiculous nonsense is really my only line of defense in situations such as this. Logic and reasoning never culminate toward a mutual understanding, peaceful coexistence, or even an agreement to simply disagree. No, it just perpetuates that pedantic fudge river further and further down the hill...closer and closer to the village...closer to your lawn.

I just don't want to see that happen to you.

I really like your lawn.

Golden Girls is on.

Last edited by Llewelyn; 03-29-2010 at 12:19 PM..

Old 03-29-2010, 01:24 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
What is the point that you're trying to make exactly, and whom are you directing that point toward? Many of us came to the stark, yet paradoxically beautiful realization that life goes on and that music evolves and perpetuates itself.

Every so often we get the disgruntled late 30 to 40-something who feels the need come and wave their cane around at the new breed of whipper-snappers that just won't stay off his lawn. It then becomes my job to walk them back inside, calmly remind them to take their medication, and inform them that there's a Golden Girls marathon on TV Land, all while everyone else burns a pentagram on the lawn to roast their weenies over. I just don't want to see that to happen to you. I really like your lawn.

If that all sounds ridiculous it's because that being a member of music forums for almost 5 years has taught me that spewing such ridiculous nonsense is really my only line of defense in situations such as this. Logic and reasoning never culminate toward a mutual understanding, peaceful coexistence, or even an agreement to simply disagree. No, it just perpetuates that pedantic fudge river further and further down the hill...closer and closer to the village...closer to your lawn.

I really like your lawn.

Golden Girls is on.
If you're as smart as I think YOU think you are, you'd know my point and know who I'm talking to. It's my opinion and it was not meant to be an insult.

Yes....music producing is lazy today. Did I say that YOU were lazy? But yet you seem to take all of my commentary so "personally". Why is that?

Change just for change sake isn't always good. Not knowing your history is definitely not good. R&B is at an all-time low today (that stupid Timbaland cut not withstanding). "Can musicians actually sing?", is the title of this thread. I'm saying many cannot nor does it seem to be necessary anymore to turn a quick dollar. What's it to you?

Look...My I.Q. just went down ten points after reading your response. At least I have a lawn for you to stay off of. The sprinkler's on a timer.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:10 PM

503 posts, read 710,369 times
Quote:

I really like your lawn.

Golden Girls is on.
um i think i really missed your point. if your trying t be deep and use metaphors to reach us or something,your really only clouding your message.
and if your trying to say only old people hate todays music you are wrong. being part of the "youth" myself I can proudly say most people in music ages teen-35 are spewing crap and can not sing or perform with out visual or technilogical aids. music has devolved. it has become very barren and lacking of soul and emotion.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:14 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
You are seeing more and more musical "artists" running their voice through Auto-Tune and other digital enhancements, my question is, are there any mainstream musical acts anymore that can actually sing? You can go to a concert now and a lot of them are either enhancing their voice or they are using the recording and just moving their lips, pretending to sing. Is real musical ability dying?
Do you want 'artists' or 'mainstream musical acts' ?

There are plenty of very talented musicians out there. But their CD might not be for sale at WalMart

Old 03-29-2010, 03:21 PM

924 posts, read 1,644,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeo2194 View Post
um i think i really missed your point. if your trying t be deep and use metaphors to reach us or something,your really only clouding your message.
and if your trying to say only old people hate todays music you are wrong. being part of the "youth" myself I can proudly say most people in music ages teen-35 are spewing crap and can not sing or perform with out visual or technilogical aids. music has devolved. it has become very barren and lacking of soul and emotion.
I figured someone as philosophical as yourself would get it.

No luke, there is no deeper meaning to my message. Did you check out the band I recommended to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music