Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:07 PM

503 posts, read 710,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
I figured someone as philosophical as yourself would get it.

No luke, there is no deeper meaning to my message. Did you check out the band I recommended to you?
i mean unless you meant people from the previous gen are always going to dislike every new gen of music......dungen? was that you?....yes I did.has anyone checked out the black keys ?I have been advertising them non stop on here. they are great blues rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 08:14 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,550,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeo2194 View Post
um i think i really missed your point. if your trying t be deep and use metaphors to reach us or something,your really only clouding your message.
and if your trying to say only old people hate todays music you are wrong. being part of the "youth" myself I can proudly say most people in music ages teen-35 are spewing crap and can not sing or perform with out visual or technilogical aids. music has devolved. it has become very barren and lacking of soul and emotion.
AMEN young brother...
It ain't personal. It's just a sad fact.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:19 PM

924 posts, read 1,644,977 times
No, dungen wasn't my recommendation.

If you would be so kind citizenkane, other than the Timbaland video you posted, what other musicians have you heard from today that didn't impress you? Just so I can gauge your knowledge of current music.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Neko Case would've been considered a great singer in any era of music.

Amy Winehouse would've fit in very well in the 1960s considering how much she sounds like Nina Simone.

If you're looking for great voices in modern music, check out the Bellrays - like Aretha Franklin backed by Motorhead...

YouTube - The Bellrays - Fire On The Moon

Old 03-29-2010, 08:49 PM

503 posts, read 710,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

Amy Winehouse would've fit in very well in the 1960s considering how much she sounds like Nina Simone.

If you're looking for great voices in modern music, check out the Bellrays - like Aretha Franklin backed by Motorhead...

I really like the bellrays.consider me a fan now! thanx! and as for amy,well hey she was a ray of hope sent to save music.....and for a lil while she and the other brit girls kinda did. then she got on drugs and lady gaga creeped her way in to the scene....

Old 03-29-2010, 10:05 PM

172 posts, read 298,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

Wow, I really like that song. They sound a lot like The Black Crowes.

When it comes to a modern band with a great singer I always point to this song:

They may not be popular but damn he can sing!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
No, dungen wasn't my recommendation.

If you would be so kind citizenkane, other than the Timbaland video you posted, what other musicians have you heard from today that didn't impress you? Just so I can gauge your knowledge of current music.

Try tthis on...

YouTube - Trey Songz - Say Aah ft. Fabolous [OFFICIAL VIDEO]

YouTube - Beyoncé - Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)

I know this one was a big hit and she won a ton of Grammy awards. But this is a vapid piece of crap. It's loaded with lyrical filler.....all of those "uh uh ohs" over and over and over.

In a lot today's music, winning awards means nothing to me.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Try tthis on...

YouTube - Trey Songz - Say Aah ft. Fabolous [OFFICIAL VIDEO]

YouTube - Beyoncé - Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)

I know this one was a big hit and she won a ton of Grammy awards. But this is a vapid piece of crap. It's loaded with lyrical filler.....all of those "uh uh ohs" over and over and over.

In a lot today's music, winning awards means nothing to me.
Winning awards these days mean nothing to anyone with an ounce of musical sense.

No offense but your "proof" that music sucks today is proof to me that you don't actually know of the good music of today. Lots of the music back in the day that dominated the charts was **** poor too. Remember disco? You won't ever find good music turning on radio, that should be obvious. You're going to have to put a little more effort into it, or you could be lazy and dismiss it entirely. It's your choice, I won't (and can't) force you to listen to current music.

If you gave me a sense of what kind of music your into, I may be able to give you some recommendations of good music these days, though it depends on what you listen to. I think we're on different wavelengths though.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Winning awards these days mean nothing to anyone with an ounce of musical sense.

No offense but your "proof" that music sucks today is proof to me that you don't actually know of the good music of today. Lots of the music back in the day that dominated the charts was **** poor too. Remember disco? You won't ever find good music turning on radio, that should be obvious. You're going to have to put a little more effort into it, or you could be lazy and dismiss it entirely. It's your choice, I won't (and can't) force you to listen to current music.

If you gave me a sense of what kind of music your into, I may be able to give you some recommendations of good music these days, though it depends on what you listen to. I think we're on different wavelengths though.
So.... now disco was bad?
Look, it may have run it's course. But this was still better than the computerized crap passed off today. Disco still had real rhytmn sections, real string sections, real horns, thumpin' basslines and some very good singers who didn't need to be amped up.

YouTube - Love Unlimited Orchestra - Love's Theme (stereo)

YouTube - chic - I want your love

YouTube - Sister Sledge - He's The Greatest Dancer (12" promo)

Yes...all these cuts are disco.....and still head and shoulders above Timbaland, Beyonce and most singers today.

I know it's fashionable and cool to lampoon it now. But looking at todays music, hindsight makes that old stuff look like pure genius.

Stevie Wonder could see that we're on different wavelengths, fella.

WELL THEN...SHOW ME WHAT YOU CONSIDER "GOOD MUSIC" TODAY.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:16 PM

Well, what kind of music do ya like???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music