Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:20 PM

4 posts, read 4,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
You are seeing more and more musical "artists" running their voice through Auto-Tune and other digital enhancements, my question is, are there any mainstream musical acts anymore that can actually sing? You can go to a concert now and a lot of them are either enhancing their voice or they are using the recording and just moving their lips, pretending to sing. Is real musical ability dying?
Is real musical ability dying? Oh my I hope not. I have been admiring some musical artists today, not just with their voice but because of how their songs were written and their style, of how they package themselves so they click to the public. I guess these impression was born out of us being expose more and more to technology, and we can't deny that almost everything is possible now. It is just like photography- nowadays a lot of editing application are available to enhance the picture so we sometimes get confused if it's still the real deal or something that has been edited, modified, altered etc etc. Even in writing, I have encountered application that can compose and re-write a new article. I hope innate talent won't die. Real is still beautiful.

Moderator cut: no adsvertising

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-29-2010 at 01:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 10:04 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,637,756 times
Neko Case

Beth Gibbons

Mark Kozelek

Shall I go on?

Mod cut - no, please don't go on. No more than three videos per post, please. - El Rhino

Last edited by El Rhino; 03-29-2010 at 12:19 PM..

Old 03-22-2010, 10:29 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,528,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Oh man, Chris Cornell is a legend. Speaking of Seattle bands, I think William DuVall, the new vocalist for Alice in Chains, is really good. He's definitely proof that there are still great vocalists in mainstream rock bands.

YouTube - Alice In Chains - Last Of My Kind

Old 03-22-2010, 10:35 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,255,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Oh man, Chris Cornell is a legend. Speaking of Seattle bands, I think William DuVall, the new vocalist for Alice in Chains, is really good. He's definitely proof that there are still great vocalists in mainstream rock bands.
That voice is unmistakable and very-very cool. Here is another one!

YouTube - Soundgarden - Spoonman (Music Video)

Old 03-23-2010, 04:01 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,043,337 times
JC CHasez...great voice

Old 03-23-2010, 06:24 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,551,648 times
quality died in a nursing home 20 years ago.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:07 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeo2194 View Post
led zeppelin and the beatles have the biggest following.the doors and hendrix are also big.think about it. how many kids go into a guitar store and say they want to play like john mayer? they say they want to play like hendrix/page/beck/clapton. well at least the kids with good taste.
I play guitar and drums, so I spend a fair amount of time in music stores. I can't remember ever hearing a young person play anything other than metal. Once I heard a kid playing AC/DC (extremely well, by the way...so well that his parents bought him a Les Paul Custom and a Marshall half-stack on the spot). Unfortunately, I've never heard a Page/Hendrix/Beck/Clapton riff coming from a kid in a music store.

I don't know John Mayer's music, so I don't know who plays that stuff.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times
Check out the band Dr. Dog. Their bass player is a very soulful singer.

YouTube - Dr. Dog - Alaska

YouTube - keepafriend.wmv

Old 03-23-2010, 07:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
You are seeing more and more musical "artists" running their voice through Auto-Tune and other digital enhancements, my question is, are there any mainstream musical acts anymore that can actually sing? You can go to a concert now and a lot of them are either enhancing their voice or they are using the recording and just moving their lips, pretending to sing. Is real musical ability dying?
hi kentucky dad,

i have been listening to a guy named mike mattison for a while now. i don't know if he is mainstream enough for your taste, but i like the way he sings.

YouTube - Scrapomatic - Louisiana Anna

YouTube - The Derek Trucks Band - Down Don't Bother Me

Old 03-23-2010, 07:16 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,442,881 times
Matt Bellamy(MUSE) is known for his use of falsetto and vibrato. His vocal range spans from an A2 to B♭4 and to A5with falsetto.
Now thats a great singer. Amazing Band Live. (and not live also)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music