Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:53 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,678,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyMoosh View Post
I guess I'm in the minority. I don't miss the weather and snow in Cleveland but there are many things about it that I would put way, way, way, ahead of this things listed here. After living here full time for 5 years I am looking to get out and head to Sarasota FLA. Myrtle Beach is wonderful as a family tourist destination. We have big beaches, lots of sun, tons of restaurants and lots of kid-type things to do (ie. miniature golf, water parks, go-karts). However, living here is entirely different. It's not so much the crowds that bother me, it's the abscence of arts and culture. What are we supposed to do, walk the boardwalk 100 times? Stroll around Broadway at the Beach 100 times? In the offseason you can't even get into a Starbucks after 8 or 9. The only thing to do here is go sit in bars or the plethora of tourist traps. I find the area to have pockets of "northern" people who tend to be more socially liberal, open minded and culturally diverse. Once you venture outside those pockets you have the good ole boy, closed minded, racist, ultra-conservative, bible belt element. It's not pretty. That's just my opinion. It would be much easier for me to stay and not have to sell my house in a down market, take my child out of school, etc. But ya gotta go where you fit in.

Seriously? You can't find anything to do other than sit in bars or go to the tourist traps?

Arts and cultural calendar for the Myrtle Beach area - kicks! - Arts & Culture -TheSunNews.com | Kicks!

This is published every week and always has suggestions for tons of things to do!

In addition to all of this, read back through Summerings posts and notice how very many things to do she lists!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 06:29 AM

40 posts, read 100,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
It sounds like you moved to MB to flee the North's winters and didn't do much research on the area, or you would have known these things going in and chosen a place more suited to your personal preferences.

I don't live in MB, I'm not even Southern, but I find your gross stereotyping of Southerners to be somewhat offensive. Being a conservative and/or a Christian does not automatically make one racist (don't forget that the anti-slavery movement was started by Christians like the Rev. William Lloyd Garrison based on their Biblical beliefs), close-minded, or a "good ole boy", just as being Northern, "socially liberal" and "open minded" does not automatically make one benevolent, loving, and tolerant. Have you seen some of the hatred and name calling vented against Christians here on City-Data by all of the "tolerant" liberals? Wow!

You apparently much prefer people from the North, so wouldn't it make sense then, to just...kinda...live in the North? Just sayin'...you can't move somewhere where the natives are nothing like you and expect them to acclimate to you. You have to try to fit in with them. They were there first. That's kind of "Relocating 101" stuff.

I wish you well and I hope you can find a way to get out of MB soon. You sound very unhappy and Sarasota is full of Northern transplants, so it sounds like it will be a better fit. Either way, I bet you're glad to be out of Cleveland. What a depressing place!
I having nothing against Christians...I am one. You need to live here to experience what I'm referring to. And I love Cleveland. It's a great city. I just hate the weather there.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:48 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,330,593 times
Summering you are a wealth of great information.

Thanks for sharing the info.

We vacationed in MB for more then 20 years and often went multiple times a month when we owned a condo there.

In fact we are headed up to MB for a vacation week after the kids get out of school.

We have done this ( Vacation in MB ) from Ohio ( now heading north from Florida ) for over 10 years the week after school lets out.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:17 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,694,168 times
Quote:
I guess I'm in the minority. I don't miss the weather and snow in Cleveland but there are many things about it that I would put way, way, way, ahead of this things listed here. After living here full time for 5 years I am looking to get out and head to Sarasota FLA. Myrtle Beach is wonderful as a family tourist destination. We have big beaches, lots of sun, tons of restaurants and lots of kid-type things to do (ie. miniature golf, water parks, go-karts). However, living here is entirely different. It's not so much the crowds that bother me, it's the abscence of arts and culture. What are we supposed to do, walk the boardwalk 100 times? Stroll around Broadway at the Beach 100 times? In the offseason you can't even get into a Starbucks after 8 or 9. The only thing to do here is go sit in bars or the plethora of tourist traps. I find the area to have pockets of "northern" people who tend to be more socially liberal, open minded and culturally diverse. Once you venture outside those pockets you have the good ole boy, closed minded, racist, ultra-conservative, bible belt element. It's not pretty. That's just my opinion. It would be much easier for me to stay and not have to sell my house in a down market, take my child out of school, etc. But ya gotta go where you fit in.
I have never met better manners then here in South Carolina. It never seems to amaze me and I grew up in NJ and very close to NY. While owning a condo in Florida I never came across the friendlyness and manners that I see daily here.
Today we are going to an ART show in Conway. It will have music and artists and it covers many streets without any tourist feel at all. Just a wonderful Fall Festival with all the art and culture you need.
I don't walk the boardwalk a hundred times nor stroll at Broadway all that often, there is more to do then that.
Attending the many Art and Craft fairs might have shown you that we do have it here.
Sometimes Chapin Park also has wonderful artist exhibiting.
We don't spend all our time in Myrtle Beach. We venture to Shem Creek, Isle of Palms, Charleston, Summerville, and up to the Calabash. There are pages of things to do in the weekly papers that are around town.
Right now Brookgreen Gardens is having a Fall Festival.
Expanding ones area to not just include your home town helps.
I have to say that nothing will change my mind about the wonderful manners here in the south. The friendlynes can not be compared to anywhere. ( not even Hawaii)
Teaching childdren not only the books, but the manners would be important to me.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:59 AM

161 posts, read 330,859 times
Amen

Old 10-06-2012, 10:26 AM

747 posts, read 1,684,942 times
Lord those people saying they miss mountains and snow must be nuts. Also how could anyone hate Myrtle, it's like the best place in the USA to live. I've spent years trying to get to live in it, lord if these people hate it so bad I'll take their home off their hands for them and they can have these god awful mountains and snow. Lawl I just don't know about some people, guess they don't realize how lucky they are to live in such a beautiful place as Myrtle. The only thing I can see wrong with Myrtle is they have made it impossible to have a decent apartment (in fact there isn't but maybe one or two decent ones in the area and they are impossible to rent) and the HOA fees kill people that are willing and able to buy housing otherwise. Boy if someone was smart down there and has the money they should go and build a beautiful apartment complex, and not hassle people with the 3xs monthly rent rule in a decent area and they would be overrun with renters.I think that is why so many people who don't deserve to live in a slum are, they don't have any other options. The 3xs monthly rent rule and the lack of decent and newer places to live just forces them into slum apartments in bad areas of town. Other then that, Myrtle is pretty darn perfect, and i'm still working on getting there. My husband and I did our day after wedding photos at Huntington Beach State Park and that place is breathtaking, it is so beautiful like most of coastal SC is. I've never seen anything about Myrtle that I don't like, it feels more like my home then where I grew up and currently live.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:38 PM

40 posts, read 100,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I have never met better manners then here in South Carolina. It never seems to amaze me and I grew up in NJ and very close to NY. While owning a condo in Florida I never came across the friendlyness and manners that I see daily here.
Today we are going to an ART show in Conway. It will have music and artists and it covers many streets without any tourist feel at all. Just a wonderful Fall Festival with all the art and culture you need.
I don't walk the boardwalk a hundred times nor stroll at Broadway all that often, there is more to do then that.
Attending the many Art and Craft fairs might have shown you that we do have it here.
Sometimes Chapin Park also has wonderful artist exhibiting.
We don't spend all our time in Myrtle Beach. We venture to Shem Creek, Isle of Palms, Charleston, Summerville, and up to the Calabash. There are pages of things to do in the weekly papers that are around town.
Right now Brookgreen Gardens is having a Fall Festival.
Expanding ones area to not just include your home town helps.
I have to say that nothing will change my mind about the wonderful manners here in the south. The friendlynes can not be compared to anywhere. ( not even Hawaii)
Teaching childdren not only the books, but the manners would be important to me.
I've been to the Conway art walk and the various arts and crafts festivals. All beach art, sunsets, adirondack chair pictures, blah, blah, blah. Can't find a piece of abstract contemporary art to save your life. Craft shows are beachy cheesy garbage. What can I say. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:26 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,694,168 times
Quote:
I've been to the Conway art walk and the various arts and crafts festivals. All beach art, sunsets, adirondack chair pictures, blah, blah, blah. Can't find a piece of abstract contemporary art to save your life. Craft shows are beachy cheesy garbage. What can I say. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I love a great photo and we have some really good photographers down here. A picture that shows real life, a real situation and color. Thats what catches my eye.
Abstract has never been my favorite form of art but as you say, to each his own.
I'm sure you've spent days in Brookgreen Gardens and have loved it there. Something more to your liking perhaps.
Some Craft Shows can have a lot of beachy, less then desired items...others do not.
Keep your eyes open I think our area is getting more art venues as time goes on.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:59 AM

62 posts, read 125,507 times
BigDaddyMoosh,

I was looking around after reading your comment and found this;

Current Exhibitions | Art Museum of Myrtle Beach

They have a wonderful artist display going on thru Dec 29th, with many more to follow.

Have you visited

Glass Art | Conway Glass

I don't drink, but I love music. This looks like it might be fun, I've never visited a vineyard in the MB area!

Special & Upcoming Events | La Belle Amie Vineyard – Winery – Wine Shop – Gift Ideas, and Wine Tasting Room in North Myrtle Beach, SC

Recently purchased a beautiful sweetgrass basket, I stood watching a woman making one for such a long time...so many baskets, all different, all beautiful.

Would love to get my hands on wood bowls using native SC wood. Then move on to textiles & metals.

I could sit and watch waves, the ever changing sand, the sky, birds, people ( lol ) mostly nature at it's best, it changes so often... such a marvelous work of art.

Pressed for time it took me just a few moments to check out venues for art, music did not get to theater yet.

All the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area