Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 09:36 AM

68 posts, read 107,573 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Murrells Inlet or Little River within the next 4-5 months, or as soon as our house sells. Moved to NC 13 years ago from Charleston due to health issues and thought I needed to be closer to family. Anyway, not even going to talk about that subject. Have had to stay so long because of my illness and involvement in a pain clinic. It has been a nightmare trying to find a pain clinic in or around Myrtle Beach that will treat me. Hopefully, I have found one and will know in a few days.

We have kids and grandkids in both Charleston and mid NC, therefore trying to be in the middle. Have always heard great things about both Murrels Inlet and Little River. Any advantages over one or the other? We are retired; husband likes biking and some fishing and of course the beaches. As for me, my disease won't allow me to be in the sun, but love being near the water. Love to walk when possible and I want a great place to write. Would love to be able to walk to stores and restaurants, but not a priority. Want a 1300 - 1500 sq ft home with minimal yard. Rather have a detached home, but would consider one level condo. Thanks for any advice anyone can share. Also, even a recommendation on a great realtor would be appreciated as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 10:18 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Personally, I prefer Murrells Inlet. You would be closer to the beach and there are many retired people.

Little River strikes me a a place for young families. You would probably have to drive to stores.

Murrells Inlet has a few places walkable to stores. Have you also considered a manufactured home community? There are some decent ones in MI. If you give us a price range, I can suggest some listings. Do you have a problem with a house being in an HOA community?

Old 11-13-2014, 04:17 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,306 times
Have to agree with goldenage1.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:53 AM

161 posts, read 329,906 times
Cathwilms - check your inbox for a PM

Old 11-18-2014, 07:25 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
If you enjoy music, the NMB is where it's at....Little River is MUCH closer to all the 'happenings' than Murrells....There are all different ages there....many retired folks call LR home....just more stuff happening around NMB....

Old 12-17-2014, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,516 times
I accepted a job in murrells inlet, I need to find an apt to move in sometime in February 2015. Will know more on my starting date next week. Can anyone help with some places for middle aged couple, with no pets, no children that doesn't break the bank for monthly rent? Would like a 2 bedroom, but 1 bedroom will work. We will be driving there rhis weekend to scope out job site and apartment places. Any information would be appreciated
thank you

Old 12-17-2014, 06:50 PM

538 posts, read 1,007,269 times
How much is considered as "breaking the bank"?
Does the apt have to be in MI?

Old 12-18-2014, 07:06 AM

28 posts, read 56,533 times
What about Surfside Beach?

Old 12-28-2014, 08:07 AM

161 posts, read 237,682 times
Sent you a private message.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:26 AM

68 posts, read 107,573 times
Finally, our house in NC is on the market. As soon as it sells, I guess we will be Myrtle Beach bound. I am still not sure of the area we want to live in. Actually, more stressesd and confused! Maybe a little more about us will help with guidance and opinions.

My husband and I are both retired. We are in our 60's. I have lupus, therefore the beach life for me is virtually nonexistent. I cannot be in the sun. Beach time for me would be late in evening after sun has gone down or early in morning. I want to be close enough to be able to walk to beach or ride a golf cart. Don't know how much of that I would actually do as I am sick a lot and between the pain and very low energy levels, not able to do very much. Hoping a warmer climate may help. However this past winter, our temps here in eastern NC and Myrtle Beach were very close to same. Was this an unusual winter for Myrtle Beach or was it pretty normal?

I have also threw Charleston or Summerville into the mix as well. Housing costs are higher in both of those areas, but Charleston certainly has warmer winters. We have friends there and a son in Mt. Pleasant and a son in Summerville. It would be an hour further for our daughter and granddaughters to visit. But, we both love Charleston very much! I think we would also fall in love with Mhrtle Beach also, so just really up in the air!

As far as MB goes, leaning more towards Murrells Inlet, Surfside and Garden City areas. I have seen some mobile home communities very close to the beach, but the HOA's are HIGH! And not crazy abour paying $150K for a mobile home. Would like to be where I wouldn't have to drive far to get to stores, restaurants, etc. I want peaceful with great views. I have intentions of taking up writing again and would love to have marsh, ocean or intercoastal waterway views. We don't mind living in townhouses as long as community is nice and HOA's are not astronomical. Price range is around $160K and we want to pay cash. We did look at Prince Charles, but the layout of those were not to our liking and HOA's were $361. Beautiful community thougn a little over our budget.

So, still need some help as far as MB area, ideas of nice areas, where people keep their yards nice and their dead appliances are not in the back yard. HOA's ok, as long as it doesn't feel like we are paying a house payment again. Also, If anyone lives in Seagate area, would like to hear from you. I like the housing there, but my husband does not. I love Market Common and it is close to my doctors, so I could drive myself on a good day.

Thanks for any advice, opinions or whatever you can tell me that might make this a little easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area