Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:00 AM

21 posts, read 101,457 times

Advertisements

Hi again,

As I stated in my other thread, I am coming to visit over the Easter holidays.
This time however I have discovered this forum and wondered if any of you guys could suggest any fun activities, places to visit etc that I could do this time round.

So far I have only really explored Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach, but im sure there must be great things to do (other than the norm) in these places and the surrounding areas.

A typical day for me on previous visits would be something like
- Laze on the beach and have a swim
- Visit places like the Alligator park
- Have a nice meal and a few drinks in the evening
- Go to duelling pianos etc at broadway at the beach.

Thing is, im getting a bit bored of doing that. And as this is my 3rd visit I wondered if any of you could suggest some alternative attractions.
Im very active (and so are the 2 friends travelling with me) and like to have lots of fun.
We have a hire car so would be willing to drive to places.

Bring it on....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 10:36 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
I have two suggestions~the Aquarium at North Myrtle Beach is nice. Also, you may want to take a drive along the beach heading south. There are several cute little towns down there. Can't remember the name of this particular one, but it was so cute. The houses were all on stilts and they were all painted such nice bright colors.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:03 AM

Hi Jammie,

Thanks for the suggestions.
I didnt realise North Myrtle Beach had an aquarium. I could spend all day in places like that.
As for driving South I think thats a great idea. I would like to visit Charleston this time round so can imagine that some of the smaller towns I would pass through would be well worthy of a visit.

I did hear that somewhere near Myrtle Beach, possibly within an hours drive, there is an English pub. Has anyone on here heard of it or possible visited?

Old 01-11-2008, 12:33 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
South on US Hwy 17 takes you to our beautiful Low Country and it's well worth the trip. Murrells Inlet, Pawleys Island, Georgetown and into Charleston ... if you can rent a motorcycle it's a wonderful ride!

Pawleys Island is home to The Gray Man Ghost ... he appears before major storms to warn the inhabitants of approaching danger ... then there is the ghost of Alice Flagg and her sad tale of lost love.

Georgetown has the Rice Museum and 50-plus antebellum mansions with guided or self-guided tours. If you are into seeing 'old stuff.'

As you drive down Hwy 17 you will see a sign proclaiming it the "Sweetgrass Basket Makers Highway," you will pass small homes, brick churches and wooden stands where African Americans long have kept the basket weaving craft alive. Sweetgrass basket weaving has been a part of this community for over 300 years.

Mt. Pleasant, Sullivans Island, Isle of Palms and Charleston ... so much to see and do. You can order a Visitor's Guide from charlestoncvb.com. I don't know what you like to do ... wander through old plantations and museums ... look at lighthouses ... visit Ft. Sumter & Ft. Moultrie ... take a Gullah tour ... Charleston has the SC Aquarium too. It just depends on what you like to see and do.

I don't know about an English Pub. I am sure someone will answer that for you. Enjoy your vacation and enjoy our Low Country.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:51 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
I didn't know about an aquarium in NMB either... is it better than the Ripley's? I was a little disappointed by that, I guess comparing it to Coney Island isn't very fair.

Here are some interesting sites/places:
A GOOD TIME AT THE BEACH
Brookgreen Gardens (broken link)... spectacular, even if you aren't a flower/sculpture person
House of Blues
Georgetown Riverwalk
Huntington Beach State park
Planetarium has a cool rock n roll laser show
Gullah Tours (http://www.gullahtours.com/bostonglobe.html - broken link)

There used to be a great place in Murrells Inlet called the Royal Oak but it closed a year or so ago. Here is another place that I have heard of but have never been:

The Cockney Cheddar Pub and Restaurant - If you are in Myrtle Beach South Carolina, we highly recommend you stop in for a bite. We had their Chicken Curry and Fish and Chips, both were excellent. You can find them on the Historic Little River Waterfront, at the end of Mineola Avenue just off Highway 17. Address: 4498 Waterfront Avenue, Little River South Carolina, 29566. Phone: (843)249-1785.
British Pubs, Restaurants and Tea Rooms in the US

If you are looking for a nice Irish pub/restaurant try Flynn's in N.Myrtle on Main St. They usually have live music on weekends and good shepherd's pie!

Old 01-11-2008, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 13,903 times
Hello, I am aware of a pub in Charleston called the Bull & Finch restaurant and pub. I have only been once and it was a very good time.

I would also suggest you go to Brookgreen Gardens. This is located across from Huntington Beach State park. Also, at the park, you can tour Atalaya castle.

Murrell's Inlet has many waterfront restaurants. My brother lives there, and says the town is a drinking village with a fishing problem.

I would also include Medieval times dinner theatre, and a trip up to the Apache pier.

Maybe, if you are up to it, go to NASCAR speed park and race go-carts with your friends

Old 01-11-2008, 06:36 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Broadway at the Beach for sure.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:10 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
I didn't know about an aquarium in NMB either... is it better than the Ripley's? I was a little disappointed by that, I guess comparing it to Coney Island isn't very fair.

Here are some interesting sites/places:
A GOOD TIME AT THE BEACH
Brookgreen Gardens (broken link)... spectacular, even if you aren't a flower/sculpture person
House of Blues
Georgetown Riverwalk
Huntington Beach State park
Planetarium has a cool rock n roll laser show
Gullah Tours (http://www.gullahtours.com/bostonglobe.html - broken link)

There used to be a great place in Murrells Inlet called the Royal Oak but it closed a year or so ago. Here is another place that I have heard of but have never been:

The Cockney Cheddar Pub and Restaurant - If you are in Myrtle Beach South Carolina, we highly recommend you stop in for a bite. We had their Chicken Curry and Fish and Chips, both were excellent. You can find them on the Historic Little River Waterfront, at the end of Mineola Avenue just off Highway 17. Address: 4498 Waterfront Avenue, Little River South Carolina, 29566. Phone: (843)249-1785.
British Pubs, Restaurants and Tea Rooms in the US

If you are looking for a nice Irish pub/restaurant try Flynn's in N.Myrtle on Main St. They usually have live music on weekends and good shepherd's pie!

Oh, I'm sorry~Yes it is Ripley's. Maybe Aquarium wasn't the correct way to describe it. Sorry.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:01 AM

Thanks for all the links and suggestions. Definately some things for me to explore there.

In particular, the drive south from Myrtle beach is something im really looking forward to do. Sometimes, Myrtle Beach can just get a bit too claustrophobic and seeing other areas is high on my agenda.

House of Blues definately rocks. I really do enjoy it there. Have been for the last 2 easter hols. I saw the same band, but cannot remember what they were called. They were very 'big' on promoting Carolina music.... something of the board rings a bell. Presidents of the board maybe?

Old 01-12-2008, 11:58 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
Yes, beach/shagging music....the state dance, not what Brits refer to as "shagging". lol

Which reminds me of a funny story...a friend of mine from Edinburgh, Scotland came to visit for a few weeks about 5 years ago. We were driving down Savannah Highway (in Charleston) and when we passed Pivots (a dance club) there was a sign out front which said, "Shagging lessons, first week free!" Well, my friend just about crashed the car he was so shocked and laughing so hard. I didn't know what was so funny, so when he finally composed himself he asked, "Just how do you Americans get away with it? You not only give shagging lessons, but you can advertise by the side of the road?" We finally got the misunderstanding straightened out after I explained it is our state dance and he told me what it means in the UK. Of course, he had to take a snapshot of the sign to e-mail back home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area