Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:31 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times

Advertisements

I knew it.. I freakin knew it was gonna happen. Got word this am our rent is going from $945 to $1095. We are struggling now (husband is a county employee and like everyone else hasn't had a raise in 6 years) they told us they are upgrading all the units to wood floors and new cabinets etc. but because the $1095 is a discounted raise of rate since we are already residents they're not going to upgrade us from carpets to wood floors or puts in the upgraded cabinets etc. they said if we want that they'll "down grade" us to the smaller apartment and well pay the "upgraded" price of smaller apt of $1195. Our lease is up in season when all the rents go up and costs like $3k plus to move into a new place between first last and security plus pet deposit. So we have begun looking at other states. I hate to leave family and friends but I hate struggling this much too. My husband works almost down in Marco so to move to Estero wouldn't be wise because of the gas and we would t want our daughter going to Lee schools. This is the start again, of the young families leaving from the price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 04:21 PM

112 posts, read 308,710 times
I'm sorry Sweetbottoms. I wish I had some words of wisdom or something that would magically make you feel better. That is such a big jump in rent! I hope you can find a way to make it work.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magemom View Post
I'm sorry Sweetbottoms. I wish I had some words of wisdom or something that would magically make you feel better. That is such a big jump in rent! I hope you can find a way to make it work.
We also got word there going to set our water at one price now, which is $25 higher a month than what we have ever paid for water. It's despicable, this happen to us twice in 06 before the bubble burst. They don't care if you've never been late on ur rent in 6 years or have a family to feed nothing... All about give me your money or get the hell out. Well looks like the latter, hopefully we can find a place to go

Old 07-11-2013, 05:35 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
However, the projected $3000 to move should be reduced by what you won't be paying....first and last where you are...plus you should get back the security and pet deposits, yes?

Old 07-11-2013, 03:58 PM

84 posts, read 147,642 times
Don't be shocked, You said it yourself, you knew it was going to happen. I know it is hard and hope I don't come across as cold. They are already discounting your rate, have you tried to counter offer maybe split the middle? Attempt to negotiate with the landlord. If you can't negotiate a lower increase, perhaps you can negotiate a longer lease term to protect against future increases. Maybe a 2 year term? You don't know until you try. Keep you head up!

Old 07-11-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSteevo View Post
Don't be shocked, You said it yourself, you knew it was going to happen. I know it is hard and hope I don't come across as cold. They are already discounting your rate, have you tried to counter offer maybe split the middle? Attempt to negotiate with the landlord. If you can't negotiate a lower increase, perhaps you can negotiate a longer lease term to protect against future increases. Maybe a 2 year term? You don't know until you try. Keep you head up!
How can they be giving me a discounted rate when the lease I signed was the price of the apts at the time of signing? It's discounted compared to the upgraded apts yes, however none of the apts were upgraded when I moved in and they have no intentions of upgrading mine anyways. They're charging me more to pay for upgrades to other apts. We tried to negotiate but no, they just gave us the "downgrade" then pay the upgrade price option. At this point we've considered moving in with the parentals to save for a down payment on another place and go month to month until we figure out where to move ..I also didn't see it coming that drastically that quickly, I mean I can see $50 -75 a year cause the market is picking up a bit here but $200+ . Come on now

Old 07-14-2013, 07:34 AM

340 posts, read 1,046,534 times
Rents never go down unless the Housing Market collapses, right now they will follow the housing market and will go up.
Just Save up for a Down payment and buy a house, the pride of ownership will be worth it and you will have that joy of owning and creating your own living enviroment.
Good luck to you both

Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 PM

14 posts, read 29,082 times
I feel your pain. the place we live keeps going up too, but in small increments. We started out at 800, now it's 890 but that's after four years. I do know that anyone new pays $200 more a month than we do. I think they try to keep their long standing renters. I hope you find something, sorry for your aggravation.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:05 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I knew it.. I freakin knew it was gonna happen. Got word this am our rent is going from $945 to $1095. We are struggling now (husband is a county employee and like everyone else hasn't had a raise in 6 years) they told us they are upgrading all the units to wood floors and new cabinets etc. but because the $1095 is a discounted raise of rate since we are already residents they're not going to upgrade us from carpets to wood floors or puts in the upgraded cabinets etc. they said if we want that they'll "down grade" us to the smaller apartment and well pay the "upgraded" price of smaller apt of $1195. Our lease is up in season when all the rents go up and costs like $3k plus to move into a new place between first last and security plus pet deposit. So we have begun looking at other states. I hate to leave family and friends but I hate struggling this much too. My husband works almost down in Marco so to move to Estero wouldn't be wise because of the gas and we would t want our daughter going to Lee schools. This is the start again, of the young families leaving from the price
Same reason we left seven years ago. Hubby was working for the county too and making decent money. I was working for a hotel. Rent on our estates house way out off Desoto went from six hundred to sixteen ninety five a month in three years. We tossed in the towel and moved to TN. I've been back to visit a few times and every time I'm so glad we left. I didn't realize how stressful it was there for us. The traffic and congestion and having to work overtime to barely get by.

Sorry you're dealing with it. I remember it all too well and can completely sympathize. Unless people are making executive level salaries I don't know how they survive there with kids. It's very sad. Before the area was 'discovered' it used to be an amazing area of the state. Had a wonderful childhood I'd hoped to pass on to my kids. *shrug*

Old 10-08-2013, 11:14 PM

19 posts, read 33,396 times
yes the pride of ownership in S Fl when I had $550k in a paid off home on green blvd, only to sell it 4years later for $208k, was still happy to get out of that area of fakes, snobs and drugees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples