Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2021, 07:00 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,963 times

Advertisements

https://rismedia.com/2020/09/23/from...ervices/#close

This will mean lower commissions in the future. Agents will have to work much harder now to provide value.

Many agents are mad they have been paying Zillow for leads and to list their own listings over the years only to be “betrayed”. Zillow said it was never in competition with agents but now are absolutely in competition.

Curt Hess on September 24, 2020 at 8:07 am
Now ask yourself this: What happens when buyer agent commissions are paid by the buyer, listings are done for 1%, and Zillow charges a flat $40/hr for their buyer agents? ($30 to salaried agent, $10 to boss.) Typically, we are talking 30-50 hours, regardless of house price. On that $400k house, your buyer can pay Zillow $2000 instead of your current $10,000 commission. Bye bye.

Zillow is only recurring agents within the company and not from other brokerages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 08:08 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
I think competition like this is good.

If Zillow does a poor job, then they’ll fail.

I don’t see this changing SWFL much yet. You have the kind of buyer who still isn’t fully digital-enabled, who likes handholding and who will still drop by agencies to look in the window and get flyers.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I think competition like this is good.

If Zillow does a poor job, then they’ll fail.

I don’t see this changing SWFL much yet. You have the kind of buyer who still isn’t fully digital-enabled, who likes handholding and who will still drop by agencies to look in the window and get flyers.
Yes agree, and you’re right this market is not the norm. I think Zillow is in this game for the long haul which is why they aren’t trying to grow too fast with their new full service brokerage in every single market just yet.

Now that Zillow will be pulling data directly from the MLS it will definitely be changing things up for the industry moving forward as the YEARS go by.

There’s always going to be money to be made in this industry as a realtor but it’s only going to get exceptionally harder as information becomes more available to the general public. Everyone knows or should know sellers bake in commissions into their asking prices, and if a competitor like Zillow can truly streamline the real estate process then at least some savings can get passed on directly to the consumers instead of the agents when it comes to closing costs.

Old 01-25-2021, 10:07 AM

Lots of angry realtor comments I’m reading online about this:

Ben Handelsman on October 29, 2020 at 1:45 pm
This move was completely predictable. Everyone knew that Zillow was lying to all of our faces for years when they said they would not get into brokerage. It’s nice to think our precious clients, and years spent cultivating relationships will overcome the competitive wave of Zillow. Unfortunately, I think Zillow can and has been doing a very effective job convincing buyers and sellers that Zillow is the only one-stop-shop they need. Our clients may love us, but you’ll see how quickly they drop us in the interest of saving money. NAR is clearly too afraid to stand up to Zillow and I truly fear for the future sustainability of Realtors. I worry that we’re going to look back and wonder why we gave Zillow so much free data and paid them with ad dollars to take our jobs away. It starts with Zillow. If they have success, watch Quicken, Amazon, etc. jump into the business as well. Where does that leave us? The time to do something about it is now. The time for NAR to step up and start representing us is NOW.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:59 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Yes agree, and you’re right this market is not the norm. I think Zillow is in this game for the long haul which is why they aren’t trying to grow too fast with their new full service brokerage in every single market just yet.

Now that Zillow will be pulling data directly from the MLS it will definitely be changing things up for the industry moving forward as the YEARS go by.

There’s always going to be money to be made in this industry as a realtor but it’s only going to get exceptionally harder as information becomes more available to the general public. Everyone knows or should know sellers bake in commissions into their asking prices, and if a competitor like Zillow can truly streamline the real estate process then at least some savings can get passed on directly to the consumers instead of the agents when it comes to closing costs.
It’s no different than in technology sales.

Years ago buyers depended on sales people to guide them through complex sales.

Now a lot of independent research is done by the buyer, only contacting the seller if and when they are ready to purchase.

As a result it’s harder to make a living in tech sales now than the gravy days a decade or more ago.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:56 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
https://rismedia.com/2020/09/23/from...ervices/#close

This will mean lower commissions in the future. Agents will have to work much harder now to provide value.

Many agents are mad they have been paying Zillow for leads and to list their own listings over the years only to be “betrayed”. Zillow said it was never in competition with agents but now are absolutely in competition.

Curt Hess on September 24, 2020 at 8:07 am
Now ask yourself this: What happens when buyer agent commissions are paid by the buyer, listings are done for 1%, and Zillow charges a flat $40/hr for their buyer agents? ($30 to salaried agent, $10 to boss.) Typically, we are talking 30-50 hours, regardless of house price. On that $400k house, your buyer can pay Zillow $2000 instead of your current $10,000 commission. Bye bye.

Zillow is only recurring agents within the company and not from other brokerages.
I could care less of Zillow goes brokerage. Personally I think Zillow is a POS.

Just today one of my clients texted me a Zillow listing she wanted to see. The property has not been on the market in two years which is why the price looked good.

A listing I had Zillow refused to remove after it sold.

Brokerage away Zillow. You aren't bothering me.

My clients know the value I add.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples