Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:58 PM

51 posts, read 143,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd1234 View Post
hi

my family and i are relocating to Naples area later this year and was looking for help in finding a child friendly community. We have 2 under 5's and, while not wishing to offend the older generation, are looking for communities that would be suitable for young childeren to grow up in. Any help would be much appriciated!

I have lived in Naples for the past 23 years. I was widowed with a 4 year old son. What I found out when living here was that a good deal of money was spent on entertainment. Even back then this area wasn't kid friendly. Our neighbors were nasty and I painted myself in a corner by buying a house outright and sticking with it. This is what has happen with middle class Naples.So in order to take the edge off the 4 yr. old actions. It was tennis lessons, YMCA. Sailing camps. Then I didn't have trouble with my neighbors, because my son was done out for the day. Karry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 10:09 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,224 times
Kids + Naples = Mix like oil and water.

The old folks hate kids there, they complain about them haning out on the sidewalks, corners, drive ways. My husband got a call there (worked as a 911 dispatcher) from an old lady on her million dollar beach front condo that kids were writing in the sand and she wanted cops down there to arrest them for destruction of public property. They get there its 8 or 9 year olds writing fart and pee pee in the sand, Just stupid kids stuff. How about the little girl they shut down for selling lemonade cause she didn't have a permit. I mean are you serious. Kids can't built little tree houses without a building permit. Hard to aquire at the age of 10 dontcha think? Kids dont play outside there, its too darn hot. When I was a kid there in summer camp we didn't play outside, we played in rec halls, or skating rinks, which btw is gone they made it into a bingo hall for the old folks. My apartment association there sent out papers asking parents to not let their kids play with balls, bikes, frisbees, chalk, or footballs in the apartment complex. It was gated of course. Gated communities are going to be the same, rules, restrictions and crappy old grumpy people who don't want to hear kids screaming, or yelling or playing games outside.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:32 PM

847 posts, read 3,520,828 times
We moved here from DC too, don't really like it but we do like our neighborhood, Indigo Lakes. There are lots of children and everyone is a yearly resident. This is probably one of the only places here you will find that are like this. There are a lot of houses for sale and this is a great time to buy. Anywhere from $375+ in this neighborhood and only $375 because of a foreclosure situation. We are hopefully moving soon so will have our house on the market, let me know if you have any questions.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:28 PM

672 posts, read 906,160 times
Default And then you have......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Kids + Naples = Mix like oil and water.

The old folks hate kids there, they complain about them haning out on the sidewalks, corners, drive ways. My husband got a call there (worked as a 911 dispatcher) from an old lady on her million dollar beach front condo that kids were writing in the sand and she wanted cops down there to arrest them for destruction of public property. They get there its 8 or 9 year olds writing fart and pee pee in the sand, Just stupid kids stuff. How about the little girl they shut down for selling lemonade cause she didn't have a permit. I mean are you serious. Kids can't built little tree houses without a building permit. Hard to aquire at the age of 10 dontcha think? Kids dont play outside there, its too darn hot. When I was a kid there in summer camp we didn't play outside, we played in rec halls, or skating rinks, which btw is gone they made it into a bingo hall for the old folks. My apartment association there sent out papers asking parents to not let their kids play with balls, bikes, frisbees, chalk, or footballs in the apartment complex. It was gated of course. Gated communities are going to be the same, rules, restrictions and crappy old grumpy people who don't want to hear kids screaming, or yelling or playing games outside.
I work at a school right near the beach and mega mansions. Yes, some kids are bused in too. One little girl in the class was thrilled to get a brand new pair of shoes which were donated by a local charity for needy families. She has 7 brothers and sisters and the hand me downs were pretty rough.

Sitting across the room from her is a 5 year old whose parents thought he needed to practice with "real" money. So they sent in a zip loc bag with real pennies, nickles, dimes, etc. Ok, fine. Then they sent in paper money. $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, and a brand new REAL $100 bill. Yes, your average 5 year old just has to learn what a REAL $100 bill looks like. Of course, your average family just happens to have a spare $100 bill they can send in to class for a Kindergartener to practice money with.

Welcome to Naples. I couldn't make this up if I tried.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:37 PM

847 posts, read 3,520,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
I work at a school right near the beach and mega mansions. Yes, some kids are bused in too. One little girl in the class was thrilled to get a brand new pair of shoes which were donated by a local charity for needy families. She has 7 brothers and sisters and the hand me downs were pretty rough.

Sitting across the room from her is a 5 year old whose parents thought he needed to practice with "real" money. So they sent in a zip loc bag with real pennies, nickles, dimes, etc. Ok, fine. Then they sent in paper money. $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, and a brand new REAL $100 bill. Yes, your average 5 year old just has to learn what a REAL $100 bill looks like. Of course, your average family just happens to have a spare $100 bill they can send in to class for a Kindergartener to practice money with.

Welcome to Naples. I couldn't make this up if I tried.
You got it! The poverty here is immense, more than I would have thought. It is a lot of 'have's' and a lot of 'have not's', there are few in the middle like me! It is a weird town, I can not move out of here soon enough!

Old 09-18-2008, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 76,560 times
There is very little for kids to do here, really the only drawback. As long as you can invest the time and take your kids fishing or boating it'll be fine. I live in Golden gate Estates as my kids like to play on green grass free of sprayed-on poison. Organise the family outings and invite the kid's friends for real fun.
check the appraisal value on the home and really compare sold-for prices as there are many bargains
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples