Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,876 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are planing on moving to Nashville from Memphis, this spring. We need help in determining what area to live in. We are in our early 30's, no children (yet). We plan on having one child within the next two years. We live in the cooper young/overton square area of memphis and would like to live somewhere similar. We would like a 2 bedroom apartment, condo, or house in a relatively safe area for about 800 a month. Any suggestions?

I heard that east nashville and the 12 south area is probably our best bet but I cannot find anything under $1000. I also cannot tell what constitutes East Nashville. What areas/ streets are good? What about Inglewood? Hermitage? Germantown? Crieve Hall?
Can any one compared streets/ areas to memphis? if they are comparable.

i.e
Cooper young streets such as Evelyn, or Nelson are great areas from Cooper to Mclean not so great closer to East Parkway and past McLean

Belvedere between Madison and Poplar = not so great alittle sketchy sometimes car break ins etc. however; Belvedere from Union to Central is one of the best/ pricest areas in midtown memphis.
(not sure if that makes sense)

Please help as much as you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 10:58 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,929 times
Crieve Hall is not like the CY/OS area of Memphis. It is all mid century ranches on large lots with no stores/commercial areas, etc. I love that area, but it's different than what you are describing.

I wouldn't recommend Germantown. We looked there years ago and it hasn't changed much since we then. They did an initial push to reviltalize the area, and put some cute new houses on some streets with some renovated historic homes. But it's still really close to a big housing project. One street will be really cute, but the next street might feel dangerous. I would have expected that area to have taken off more than it has.

12 South is somewhat similar. I think East Nashville would closer in terms of old historic homes.
There are lots of East Nashville boardies, I will let some of them fill in the details for you.

Hermitage is pretty suburban- maybe a bit like Bartlett. Not a good fit, I would think.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:39 AM

569 posts, read 1,424,788 times
I can't really compare East Nashville to Cooper-Young...because I haven't been to Cooper-Young. I've seen pictures and heard about Cooper-Young and it does sound like they are similar. I'll just tell you a few things about the east side. The more walkable areas are Lockeland Springs, Edgefield, East End. These areas all have sidewalks and immediately surround the 5 Points area, the main area with restaurants, bars, shops. I live in Edgefield (if you couldn't tell by my name)...but there are lots of other great areas in East Nashville...it's a pretty big area. Eastwood Neighbors, Maxwell Heights and Inglewood to name a few. Inglewood is the furthest away from downtown and has some really nice houses and tree cover. The biggest drawback in Inglewood, to me, is that there aren't many sidewalks...so it's not as walkable. I wouldn't rule it out though. It's probably going to be cheaper than some other areas. I have friends that live on Inglewood Circle and there are several older duplexes that are rentals on their street and they would definitely be in your price range. I can't think of ANY apartment complexes over here that I would recommend. Houses, duplexes and some old apartment buildings are what you'll find. There are a few new hip condos...but they're probably expensive.

I would just try to spend a little time in East Nashville and I think you'll know if it's what you are looking for. It really is a great place to live though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: