Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 07:46 PM

14 posts, read 56,276 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I’m new at posting here, but I read posts here from time to time. Here’s my situation. Fed up with my job, I have decided to temporarily "retire" for 1 to 2 years. I’m fine financially (i.e., not rich, but could go for many years without working). I’m currently living and working in North Alabama and I’m thinking about moving to Nashville.

I lived in Memphis in the 1990s and even graduated from the University of Memphis (Master’s). I’m the homebody type, a single male in the 35-45 y/o age bracket, I don’t drink or smoke (so night life unimportant); but as a veteran, I like to walk several miles outside for exercise each morning. So, a safe neighborhood is important. I plan to drive up to Nashville in a couple of months to look at apartments, but I don’t know anything about the neighborhoods or the apartment complexes. They all look great on the online websites, but I know from experience that won’t tell the whole story.

Without boring you to tears, here’s what I currently have: I live in an apartment that’s referred to as a cottage. It’s sort of like a one-story townhouse. It has an attic, a front and backdoor/yard, trash pickup, a mailbox next to the front door, pretty much like a house. I have four parking spaces in front of the apartment. It has two bedrooms, is 1000 sq. ft., and I pay $700/month. I obviously don’t have to have all of the same amenities. I live alone. I’m looking for something safe, quiet, spacious, and affordable (e.g., $550-$700 month). I hope that’s enough information to get a little help. Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 10:15 AM

455 posts, read 1,140,587 times
In your price range, I think you could get a nice 1-bedroom apartment that is safe, quiet and affordable in Bellevue. It probably would only be around 700-square feet though and your only choice for walking would be along the highway (70 South), so that might not be a good option.

What type of area do you want to walk? City streets or park?

I might suggest Colonial Grand at Bellevue | Nashville, TN - you're just across the street (Highway 100) from several thousand acres of hiking at the Warner Parks. Absolutely gorgeous. Very quiet - except for the train that goes through and toots its whistle a few times a day.

You'd be right at the upper end of your price range at Colonial Grand, according to their website.

If you don't mind living a bit further out, I imagine you might find something less expensive in a community like Hendersonville or Mt. Juliet where there might be walking trails near the lakes.

Good luck finding a place that suits you best!

Old 10-23-2010, 11:27 AM

14 posts, read 56,276 times
Smile I May Move to Nashville, Need Apartment Advice

Thanks Aaronmidnight. I currently just walk around my neighborhood. There’s a park a couple of miles away from my apartment that I often include within the walk. I usually walk 8 miles each morning (two hours). My main concerns without firsthand knowledge of Nashville are crime and the state of the apartments there since the flooding.

I see a lot of apartments in the online Nashville apartment guides with 1 and 2 bedroom apartments in the $600-$800 range, but I suspect it’s hit or miss as to whether those are in acceptable areas. So, I’ll definitely look into the Bellevue area. But, I hope to get lucky and find a good deal in a decent location. Also, I am open to living a little further out; although, I obviously want to be able to enjoy some of the benefits of Nashville. So, I’ll investigate Hendersonville and Mt. Juliet as well.

I’ve also considered moving to other cities since I won’t be tied to a job (for example, housing in Jacksonville Florida is currently supposed to be very affordable). But, although I’ve also lived in Florida before, I kind of hate to move so far for such a temporary move. I will probably be working within my profession again by August 2011 or August 2012. I’ve also ordered a hardcopy of one of the Nashville apartment guides so I can plan which complexes to visit when I come up there. I’ve found the hard copies are easier to use for the purpose of planning which apartments to look at. Thanks again for your help.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:07 PM

455 posts, read 1,140,587 times
Happy to help

Some apartments did flood in Bellevue back in the May floods. Definitely good to ask about that when you go to look at apartments. And if it's something that concerns you, I'd strongly suggest looking for a 2nd or 3rd floor apartment (most of the apartment complexes out here in Bellueve are 2 or 3 stories). Here in our complex, the ground floor flooded, but of course we didn't have any problems on the top (3rd) floor.

Not sure where you live now, but the problem with just 'walking around the neighborhood' in Nashville is that many apartments - at least out here in Bellevue - are on busy roads without sidewalks. Of course you could always walk around within the development - there's a guy who does that here every morning and lots of people walk their dogs in the development - but that could get boring after a while.

The Hillsboro Village / West End area would be ideal for you - low crime, lots of sidewalks, parks, etc. - Definitely a walking neighborhood. But you might have a hard time finding something in your price range. Actually here is one in your price range - we almost rented here Schatten Properties: Royal Arms of Green Hills (One major reason we did not end up renting was the fact that people did not seem to pick up after their dogs AT ALL and therefore all the green spaces were covered in dog cr*p. Disgusting. But if that wouldn't bother you, it's super convenient, well-priced and the apts themselves seemed pretty nice.)

Good luck in your search! If you come out and look around and have more specific questions, I'm sure folks on this board will be happy to offer advice!

Old 11-29-2010, 06:49 PM

67 posts, read 202,744 times
I lived in an apartment in Bellevue for 4 years up until this past June. It sounds like the area would be right up your alley. I would go walking around my apartment complex almost daily, also the Warner Parks are only minutes away. (And absolutely gorgeous places to walk!)

The area is very safe. My apartment complex had minimal flood damage. My apartment was also huge, especially for the price!

I really appreciated the convenience of the city without feeling like you live in the city.

My fiance and I relocated to Hendersonville to be closer to his job while I'm out of town for work-- Hendersonville is OK. Also safe, Memorial Park has a nice walking loop, a little more affordable... but also a little less convenient to the city. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick Bellevue. But that's just my opinion.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:18 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
For what it's worth, I have lived my entire life that way . . . retiring as I go along. Why save up all your dreams for free time for when you are 70 and maybe not physically able to DO the things you want to now. TIME is more important than money and so I work for a few years and then 'retire' although when I 'retire' I mostly travel. It's cheaper hanging out in Thailand for a month than renting an apartment, paying utilities, running a car and paying car insurance, etc. I guess that's why some really retired folks live in RVs by choice. Cheaper than owning a house and all that that entails.

Have no apartment advice. Only that I think you've got it right. Take the TIME where ever and when ever you can. Go for it! Take a year off. Take two if you can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville