Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 07:36 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,384 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We currently live near Grand Rapids, MI. My husband may have a job with the Dept. of the Army in Clarksville. We were originally planning to move to Raleigh until this job opportunity popped up, so we know next to nothing about Nashville and I'm hoping some of you can provide us with some information. Here's a little about us:

FAMILY: We are a family of 4. My husband and I are in our early 30's and we have 2 small children, 2 and 4 yrs. old.

CHILDREN/SCHOOL: Our 4 year old is currently in preschool and has an IEP. She may very well not have an IEP for long and may transition very well right into normal class by the time she is ready for Kindergarten. However, I am wondering, what is the cutoff date for Kindergarten? Is preschool offered through the public school system, or is it private only?

HOUSING: We are looking to spend no more than $325K for a home (although ideally we'd be in the $275K range). We would need a home with 4 bedrooms and would like either a bonus room or basement (not sure if basements are normal in TN). We would like to be in a neighborhood vs. having more space. A neighborhood with people and kids in our age range would be ideal as we are a very outgoing family. Parks would be great and my husband would be thrilled if a golf course were nearby.

TOWN: We would like to be in a town that has good schools, and has some sort of "flavor" to it. What I mean by flavor, is that we would love for it to have some good, non-chain restaurants, maybe a nice coffee shop, be kid-friendly, be safe and clean, and have a decent little downtown area. We don't want to be too far from Clarksville, nor too far from Nashville as I'm sure we would enjoy some of what Nashville has to offer. It would be nice if a lake is close.

I'm looking for any advice you might have on towns that are safe, and meet our needs as far as schools and some of the other things listed above.

I know my laundry list is long, and of course, I do not expect all of these items to be met, but I know it's easier to help point me in the right direction with more detailed information. Also, in case anyone is wondering, we will not move until and when we have a definite job.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 07:41 PM

204 posts, read 876,197 times
If I am reading this right, you are considering a move to Clarksville? Your price range will get you a great home here in Clarksville. Sango (Exit 11) sould like what you would be looking for in way of parks and golf courses. A couple of helpful links:

Clarksville-Montgomery County Schools (http://www.cmcss.net/index.asp - broken link) Clarksville School System

Clarksville-Montgomery, TN (http://www.clarksville.tn.us./wps-html/AboutClarksville/RelocationInformation/RequestaFreeNewcomerPacket/ - broken link) Relocation packet.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmannsdq View Post
If I am reading this right, you are considering a move to Clarksville? Your price range will get you a great home here in Clarksville. Sango (Exit 11) sould like what you would be looking for in way of parks and golf courses.
Thanks for the quick response. I'm sorry, to be honest, I don't know where we're considering moving to other than it will be near Nashville and Clarksville as it will be where my husband would work. Is Clarksville a nice town? What can you tell me about it? I see that it has just over 100,000 people, which is kind of nice, in my opinion. Does it have good schools? What are the best areas (safest, nice neighborhoods) of Clarksville?

Old 01-09-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
Thanks for the quick response. I'm sorry, to be honest, I don't know where we're considering moving to other than it will be near Nashville and Clarksville as it will be where my husband would work. Is Clarksville a nice town? What can you tell me about it? I see that it has just over 100,000 people, which is kind of nice, in my opinion. Does it have good schools? What are the best areas (safest, nice neighborhoods) of Clarksville?
Clarksville is a great town - while the population sounds high, it really seems smaller than towns of similar population. Great public school system ( i edited my first post above with some links)

Old 01-09-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmannsdq View Post
Clarksville is a great town - while the population sounds high, it really seems smaller than towns of similar population. Great public school system ( i edited my first post above with some links)
Thank you for the information. The population does not sound too high for us as we live right outside Grand Rapids, MI, which has about 200,000 residents, we just want to ensure we're in a safe area. Is the town growing?

ETA: Nevermind my last question - I have opened the link for Clarksville and can get the demographics.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:57 PM

The town is growing thanks to a growing Military presence and massive industry growth. We actually have a company from out of Flint Michigan I believe that is moving to Clarksville - HSC. If you need anything - just let me know.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:05 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
I would suggest first looking at areas on the east side of Clarksville/Montgomery County.

There's a couple of nice little towns or communities between Clarksville and Nashville, but I don't think they would serve you any better than living in Montgomery County itself. Nor is there any reason to live in Nashville and commute daily to Clarksville. You can always come to Nashville for special events, cultural attractions, better choices of restaurants, and that sort of thing; but your life would be easier living in Clarksville if your husband is going to be working at Ft. Campbell.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:08 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
In Case you don't know it Clasrksville has a State University-Austin Peay State University. That is where I went .
There is alot of new housing popping up in Clarksville, at good prices. Clarksville has a river walk which is kind of neat. It was not there when I was in college there.
City of Clarksville

Clarksville, TN, Real Estate Listings and Clarksville, TN Homes for Sale - REALTOR.com®

As you can see you can get nice homes in your price range.

Diane G

Old 01-09-2009, 08:10 PM

Ah, I forgot to mention APSU - good point, as is the Riverwalk which has really developed over the past six or seven years. With the new marina coming on, that area will really explode.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:04 PM

The Riverwalk and University intrigue me as does the Clarksville school system website. As I mentioned before, we had been considering a move to the Raleigh area, but the school system in Wake County is giving us major pause and then this opportunity popped up. Is there any sort of nightlife in Clarskville to speak of? Are the schools better in the Clarksville area compared to those towns closer to Nashville? Any defense contracting companies? My background is in Contract Administration/Project Management and I worked for a large defense contractor (we lived in Virginia Beach, VA about 3 years ago when hubby was in the Navy).

Oh, and what is the Riverwalk like? Is it more nature or are there businesses along the Riverwalk? Can you take riverboat anywhere along the Cumberland?

Thanks to all of you for providing such great information.

Last edited by shoes4birds; 01-09-2009 at 09:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville