Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:57 PM

269 posts, read 667,200 times

Advertisements

Hello. I just arrived in Nashville a few days ago to check things out. It has been overall great. Very nice people (with some nasty exceptions) and great neighborhoods. I love the Sylvan Park area. Anyway I can't help but notice all of the people here. I was last here in August 2009. The hotels are booked solid and there are not many good deals available. The roads seem busier with many, many out of state license plates. The cafes/restaurants are even busy in the middle of the afternoon (3-4pm).

I am wondering what gives? Are there just a lot of people visiting? Are there a lot of people looking for jobs here? Are there flood victims in hotels? Are there people who have been impacted by the oil spill who are now in Nashville for one reason or another? I can't figure it out. Something has changed!! Comments appreciated!

Thanks.

Last edited by dundermifflin; 07-22-2010 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 09:27 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,845,186 times
Summer is the high tourist season and Opryland is closed (3000 rooms) so they are all downtown and in the West End. That might make it seem a bit busier in these areas??

Old 07-23-2010, 08:16 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,475,272 times
Took the words out of my mouth, vive. Tourist season + Opryland Hotel closing = more tourist diaspora.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:22 AM

Yes but that only explains the hotel situation.... I was here last summer and there just seem to be many more people everywhere I turn....

Old 07-23-2010, 08:39 AM

116 posts, read 440,327 times
I've been here in Nashville for nearly all of my life. The tourist level seems to be "normal." Perhaps last year's numbers were low; the economic situation has improved since last year; and more people are here this year?

Old 07-23-2010, 09:06 AM

353 posts, read 1,001,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
Yes but that only explains the hotel situation.... I was here last summer and there just seem to be many more people everywhere I turn....
Do the math....full hotels = more people. With the Opry Land Hotel closed, they are closer to downtown and not at the Opry Mills Mall. Thus why you are seeing more people. Plus there are always groups here for conventions, family reunions, concerts...

Old 07-23-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Am_I_Here View Post
Do the math....full hotels = more people. With the Opry Land Hotel closed, they are closer to downtown and not at the Opry Mills Mall. Thus why you are seeing more people. Plus there are always groups here for conventions, family reunions, concerts...
"Do the Math" - That actually doesn't make sense in this senerio. If you normally have 3000 people staying at the opryland hotel and then spread those 3000 out to other hotels, it is the same number of people in the city and I am sure they all tour around the city regardless of where they are staying.

I think the other comment above is helpful about the economy improving and more people traveling this year....

I still feel like there are a lot of people from out of state searching for jobs here....

Thanks.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:09 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,845,186 times
While I don't think that's the entire solution, it most definitely is a big part. Gaylord is an all inclusive resort and many guests don't leave the property during their stay...especially if the Opry isn't at the Ryman. Another big factor is Opry Mills which is always packed with people and now those people have to go somewhere else.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:38 AM

940 posts, read 1,903,174 times
Haven't there been a lot of people from outside the state coming there because of the floods? Insurance adjusters, Federal officials, even people like me=> I drove there in May (came up from my sister's in Birmingham) and was there for 2 days of volunteer flood recovery. A lot of people may have relatives from out of state coming in to help recover too.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
Haven't there been a lot of people from outside the state coming there because of the floods? Insurance adjusters, Federal officials, even people like me=> I drove there in May (came up from my sister's in Birmingham) and was there for 2 days of volunteer flood recovery. A lot of people may have relatives from out of state coming in to help recover too.
Yeah I think this is another factor. And I believe there could be people wanting to relocate from the gulf too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville