Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:30 PM

355 posts, read 2,704,971 times

Advertisements

Hi, I a have a freind who is interested in moving to Nashville that is a surgical technologist. He has received a job making 39K a year and wants to know how he can live here in Nashville with 39K. How good will his quality of living be? He has looked at some apartments in Nashville that are pretty nice. He has chosen a 1-bedroom floor plan that will cost about $575 a month.I live here in Nashville, but I have an annual salary of 125K and do not know anythng about living with 39K. Anyone live here making this salary, if so, how is your life? Also, does anyone who lives in an apartment mind sharing the average cost of utilities for an apartment such as water, electricity, etc.? He is single, therefore, he will pay all his bills himself. Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 12:59 AM

625 posts, read 4,574,370 times
well, this is a very subjective question...what kind of living standard is he used to?...depends on how frugal he is with his money...does he want to drive a brand new car every year, etc...overall the cost of living is pretty cheap here and I think $40k for a single guy will go a long way...when I first lived in Nashville I was living on $25k and did fine (10 years ago) and I don't think the cost has gone up that much since then...

Old 01-01-2008, 01:23 PM

355 posts, read 2,704,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
well, this is a very subjective question...what kind of living standard is he used to?...depends on how frugal he is with his money...does he want to drive a brand new car every year, etc...overall the cost of living is pretty cheap here and I think $40k for a single guy will go a long way...when I first lived in Nashville I was living on $25k and did fine (10 years ago) and I don't think the cost has gone up that much since then...
He is used to a standard type of living. He had a one bedroom apartment in his previous city, Austin,Texas. He does not need a new car every year, but does want something pretty nice. In other words, he does not want to drive an old clunky car, but does not want a brand new BMW, something like a nice late model car like a 2004 sedan. He plans to sell his other car once he gets here for a newer vehicle. He is not much of a big spender, but after paying bills, still wants to have a little cash left in the bank to treat himself. No living pay check to pay check. Thats all.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:23 AM

250 posts, read 1,015,407 times
Default He'll be fine...

on $39k salary, your friend will live very comfortably...

Old 03-21-2011, 09:56 AM

3 posts, read 12,345 times
is 39K/yr now in 2011 still living good ???

Old 03-21-2011, 11:00 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,481,728 times
"living good"? I guess it depends...I'd say if the OP's friend stayed true to the description and lived modestly and got the $575/month apartment, then he managed well. But I'm sure you can't live on champagne wishes and caviar dreams for $39,000/yr in Nashville. Just depends on what you consider "living good" I suppose.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:18 AM

216 posts, read 347,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
Hi, I a have a freind who is interested in moving to Nashville that is a surgical technologist. He has received a job making 39K a year and wants to know how he can live here in Nashville with 39K. How good will his quality of living be? He has looked at some apartments in Nashville that are pretty nice. He has chosen a 1-bedroom floor plan that will cost about $575 a month.I live here in Nashville, but I have an annual salary of 125K and do not know anythng about living with 39K. Anyone live here making this salary, if so, how is your life? Also, does anyone who lives in an apartment mind sharing the average cost of utilities for an apartment such as water, electricity, etc.? He is single, therefore, he will pay all his bills himself. Thanks for your help!!
Sorry to tangent from your friend, but I am wondering if you work in healthcare as well and if so, what do you do? I'm trying to nail down what an experienced ER nurse/research nurse would make on average in Nashville. I have a salaried job right now as a research nurse in emergency medicine through Wayne State University up here in Detroit and am at 67k, actually made over 70k last year as a staff RN with a moderate amount of overtime.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, but I thought you or someone looking at this thread might be able to share some much sought after info.

Thanks

Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 PM

8 posts, read 15,007 times
Nashville is a great city to live in and I think he will do just fine on 39K. The cost of living here is not too bad compared to other cities. There are a lot of fun things to do here that are free or low cost.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:57 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,321,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy2022 View Post
Sorry to tangent from your friend, but I am wondering if you work in healthcare as well and if so, what do you do? I'm trying to nail down what an experienced ER nurse/research nurse would make on average in Nashville. I have a salaried job right now as a research nurse in emergency medicine through Wayne State University up here in Detroit and am at 67k, actually made over 70k last year as a staff RN with a moderate amount of overtime.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, but I thought you or someone looking at this thread might be able to share some much sought after info.

Thanks
Here's a roundabout way of answering.

I have a friend who works in labor and delivery at a public hospital in Jackson (2 hours west of Nashville). With regular overtime, she makes around $60k per year.

Soooooo...I have no idea how labor and delivery pay compares to ER pay, but if you do, that may give you an idea of typical pay in the area. I would also point out that Jackson is a smaller, more isolated town, so jobs there tend to pay a bit less than comparable jobs in Nashville. So I would imagine that $60k in Jackson would translate to a slightly higher pay in Nashville.

I know that's not a great answer, but it's something to hold you over until someone more knowledgeable answers.

Best wishes.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:18 PM

67 posts, read 202,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
He is used to a standard type of living. He had a one bedroom apartment in his previous city, Austin,Texas.
I split my time between Austin and Nashville and can say the cost of living is practically identical. Austin is a *touch* more affordable in my opinion, but we're splitting hairs when it comes to the difference.

Really, he should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: