Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 PM

870 posts, read 3,529,118 times

Advertisements

Heading to Nashville to visit the city and Vanderbilt for a couple of days. What food is Nashville famous for? What restaurants are a must?
Any other suggestions for things to do?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 09:36 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
I don't think Nashville is particularly "famous" for a style of food. There's 'Hot Chicken', but I think very few people outside of the city even know about that.

As far as restaurants to try...there are a lot of great places to try...it's hard for me to suggest one "must see" place. It really depends on what kind of food you want and how much you want to spend.

Some of my favorites would be :

Germantown Cafe (traditional, upscale, but very reasonable) Germantown Cafe :: Menu (http://www.germantowncafe.com/menu.php - broken link)
*Allium, from the same owners as Germantown, is also a great option
Sunset Grill (fine dining, late night dining) Menus | Sunset Grill Restaurant 615-386-3663: Group Dining, Fine Dining, Groups, Private Dining, Wine Tasting, Transportation, Shuttle Service, Casual Dining
*Midtown Cafe, from the same owners as Sunset, is equally good
Fido (casual, great local brewed coffee) http://www.bongojava.com/menus/9.pdf (broken link)
Noshville (local take on a NY Deli) Noshville Authentic New York Delicatessen :: Nashville, TN
Rotiers (cheap, greasy local institution) Rotier's Restaurant - Nashville, TN (http://www.rotiers.com/menu.html - broken link)

There are many, many more great places to eat. Tell us what you like and we'll throw some more suggestions your way.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:53 PM

870 posts, read 3,529,118 times
Thank you.
Hot Chicken sounds good.
Trying to stay away from the chains and such. Want to try some local flavors. For instance NC has the BBQ.
I like the Rotiers menu. Don't need NY deli since we can get that anywhere.
Gonna be traveling with an 18 year old.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Thank you.
Hot Chicken sounds good.
Trying to stay away from the chains and such. Want to try some local flavors. For instance NC has the BBQ.
I like the Rotiers menu. Don't need NY deli since we can get that anywhere.
Gonna be traveling with an 18 year old.
All the places I mentioned are local, I wouldn't insult you by sending you to a chain.

You can get good BBQ here, although Memphis is definitely more famous for it. Jack's Welcome To Jack's Bar-B-Que Nashville, Tennessee has been around for 35 years, and a local chain, Bar-B-Cutie Bar-B-Cutie :: The World's Best Barbeque Since 1950! has been around for more than 60 years. Jack's (on Broad) attracts a lot of the touristy crowd, but is still good.

Rotiers is a classic "hole in the wall" or dive, but family friendly. TN doesn't allow smoking unless the joint is 21+...so taking an 18 y.o. to Rotiers would be perfectly fine. It's not a dirty place...just old. The place hasn't changed in 20-30 years.

I mainly mentioned Noshville because it is within walking distance of Vandy on the NE side of campus. If you are hungry and don't feel like driving, it would be a good option, as would local cheap Tex Mex joint San Antonio Taco Company (SATCO) nearby.

As for the Hot Chicken...

Hot chicken - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xXxV9qIPg

Prince's Hot Chicken is the most famous of the places serving "hot chicken." Try if you dare.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:54 AM

59 posts, read 194,037 times
The Loveless cafe is a popular attraction for locals and tourists alike. Great fried chicken, biscuits, and veggies. It's about 20 minutes west of downtown so probably not the best if you are planning on using cabs while you're here. Our favorite restaurants in the Vandy area are Calypso (a caribbean style rotisserie chicken place on Elliston), San Antonio Taco Company (amazing tacos with a location on 21st ave and one downtown), Sitar (an Indian joint on 19th ave N), Rotiers (classic old whole in the wall with amazing burgers, also off Elliston), Jacksons on 21st in Hillsboro Village is our favorite bar with good French and American inspired foods), and Dan McGuinness for a pub and celticish food (bangers and mash is the way to go). That's pretty much where we go when we eat out. We also have lots of chain restaurants like California pizza kitchen, PF Changs, Cheescake factory, etc If you like that kind of thing. For Entertainment, the honky tonks downtown are a popular tourist attraction and usually have music though I dont know any locals who hang there. The bluebird cafe in Green Hills usually has some great music as well as The Basement, 3rd and Lindsley, 12th and Porter, Esit/In, Mercy Lounge and Cannery Ballroom but check out the lignup before picking which one to hit.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:44 AM

54 posts, read 139,773 times
Bound'ry is really close to Vanderbilt and has been said to have the best pork chop in town.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:52 AM

610 posts, read 1,624,190 times
South Street for po' boys and Jackson's for brunch.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:56 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
Lots of good suggestions already. If you decide to try hot chicken, a quick observation. Hot chicken shacks are usually in quasi-rough parts of town. I'm not saying they're unsafe...far from it...but they are in parts of town that tourists generally don't seek out. Prince's is the godfather of hot chicken in Nashville, but it is a little off the beaten path and if you go there you might feel a little uncomfortable. Instead, I'd suggest going to 400 Degrees. It is just south of Broadway, still within the basic tourist district "footprint" on the corner of 4th and Peabody. In my humble opinion, it is as good as Prince's, there are plenty of seats (instead of 4 tables at Prince's), the wait is less, the heat is DEFINITELY there, and Aqui Simpson and her staff are tremendously friendly. I think it is a better spot for tourists to try our native bird.

As for others...Rotier's is always a winner. Consistantly voted the best burger in town. Just down the road is Elliston Place Soda Shop, a vintage soda shop from way back in the day. People love to flock to Loveless Cafe as mentioned. It's tasty, but for the drive and the wait, you can find as good food elsewhere, I think. If you're looking for true Nashville flavor for lunch, there's Arnold's Country Kitchen, which is a meat and three but also a James Beard Award winning restaurant. I also really like Dandgure's Cafe. It's usually far less crowded and the food is just as good. Either way, save room for the chess pie. It is fantastic at either restaurant. A popular place for breakfast in the Vandy area is Pancake Pantry. It is not uncommon for there to be a line out the door with a half hour wait or more.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
A popular place for breakfast in the Vandy area is Pancake Pantry. It is not uncommon for there to be a line out the door with a half hour wait or more.
I loooove the Pancake Pantry, but I'm not fond of the waiting time. That's why I suggested Fido. It's a solid breakfast (with great coffee, if you're a coffee fanatic), and even when crowded it doesn't seem to take very long to get served.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:00 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Monnells in Germantown for authentic southern, family style fare, and Pancake Pantry 21st Ave for wonderful breakfast food, albeit they close early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville