Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 12:36 AM

11 posts, read 34,481 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm looking to move to Nashville and will be attending Vanderbilt. I found a place in Hermitage that I like, it's right next to I-40... would this be too far away? I need to be in the vanderbilt area from 8-4 on some days, and then from 6-4 on the rest.
is this doable, or is rush hour terrible? how long should this drive take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 06:37 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
It's not terrible...especially if your place in Hermitage is right off the interstate. My guess is that it would be 35 minutes on the mornings you arrive at 8. 25-30 for the mornings you arrive at 6. Leaving at 4 should let you miss most of the heavy traffic in the afternoon leaving West End...probably a 30 minute commute home.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:26 AM

11 posts, read 34,481 times
perfect, thank you! is that an ok area to live in? my complex is gated, if that makes a difference.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:38 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Sure...Hermitage is a good area. You've got lots of shopping nearby in Mt. Juliet but most everything you need is there in Hermitage (groceries, shopping, restaurants). Plus Summit Hospital is right there and it is very close to the airport. I lived in Mt. Juliet for several years and liked the Hermitage area. It seems like there are a couple of rougher apartments near the interstate, but there are also a few really nice ones too. I don't have the crime stats at my fingertips, but Hermitage seems to be pretty safe.

If you don't have kids, Hermitage should be fine. I say that because it's zoned for Metro Schools and you can probably find a better area school-wise to settle in if that is a concern.

I wouldn't hesitate living there.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:57 PM

228 posts, read 528,544 times
Especially if you are able to commute during off hours - you are probably going to find a lot more space for the money.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 PM

3,047 posts, read 3,313,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate22 View Post
Hi all! I'm looking to move to Nashville and will be attending Vanderbilt. I found a place in Hermitage that I like, it's right next to I-40... would this be too far away? I need to be in the vanderbilt area from 8-4 on some days, and then from 6-4 on the rest.
is this doable, or is rush hour terrible? how long should this drive take?
You will have no problem most days arriving at 6. I would suggest no later than 7 to avoid the worst of AM traffic. You will be amazed the difference 2 hours can make. The main problem becomes working inbound from the airport to the Broadway exit. Be careful not to follow I-24 or I-65 bit stay on I-40. Leaving at 4 is fine. When I-40 is blocked, you may get creative in finding a route between Broadway & Lebanon Pike. Something to be aware of is if & when the Titans have a home game (monday nites?) at LP field.
(The same would be true of Fan Fair or other events on the riverfront or at LP Field).

An alternative to driving some days may be to use the MCS (Music City Star train) or Lebanon Pike MTA + bus shuttle to Vandy.

Gas prices appear to be cheaper in the Donelson/Hermitage area from the rest of the city. It is safe & convenient to most of the city.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:38 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
You will be amazed the difference 2 hours can make.
I would like to add that one could be amazed by the difference 15 minutes makes. It can be the difference between a busy, but quick commute, and a slow and painful one. Leaving even 15 minutes earlier can make perhaps a 15-20 minute difference in a cross-town commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: