Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 04:57 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
The Parathon has a museum inside it. The Frist is a fairly small art museum, but it gets some good exhibits. If you have never been to the Country Music Hall of Fame, you should go. It has a lot of things that would interest even non-country fans, including Elvis's car and some great sections on how music has been made over the years. Cheekwood did a wonderful Chihuly exhibit last year, that was the best thing I have ever seen there. They currently have a Modern Masters exhibit from the Smithsonian.

Downtown Presbyterian Church, while not a museum, is a must see. Not only is it beautiful, it's one of only 2 Egyptian Revival style buildings left in the entire country. It's on the national registry of historic places.

Also, there is tons of history in this area in general: The Hermitage, Polk's parents house in Columbia, Nashville walking tour (the one that starts at Fort Nashboro and ends at the capitol) is really interesting and covers a lot national history also, Amish Country in Ethridge, Traveler's Rest, Sam Davis house, etc. The Upper Room has a small museum and Dec-Jan, it exhibits its collection of nativity scenes, with over one hundred renditions from cultures around the world- which is a really interesting exhibit.

I'm always looking for places to take my children to learn about art, history, etc. You can get on the mailing list of most of these places and learn what exhibits are coming next. I would love to see some bigger museums here like the Field Museum in Chicago. But in the meantime, there are things to see and do, it just takes more work to discover them.
I forgot about the Parthenon and the Frist, and didn't know about the others you mentioned, so thanks. I'll look into them. I've been to the Country Music Hall of Fame, but it's been a long, long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 06:27 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I've been to the Country Music Hall of Fame, but it's been a long, long time.
Have you been since they built the new one?

Old 04-01-2011, 06:49 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Have you been since they built the new one?
No I haven't. I'm really not interested in country music, but if they have exhibits concerning music history in general it might be worth going. I'm more interested in pre-war jazz though.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 AM

597 posts, read 2,109,069 times
Regarding restaurants, museums, and such. I think some folks need to get out more. It's all here, go find it.

And Lamp, country or not, the CMOF is a fascinating place now. Imagine when it's 200k sq ft bigger and integrates with the billion dollar MCC/Omni.

And on second thought, I think I should get more, too. I'm missing a lot.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:48 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
No I haven't. I'm really not interested in country music, but if they have exhibits concerning music history in general it might be worth going. I'm more interested in pre-war jazz though.
They usually have a free day every year. I went 2 years ago...seems like it was in February. It's definitely worth a couple hours of your time. That said, I think it's extremely overpriced for whatever the normal admission price is. Seems like it was $30 or more. Not worth that...especially for a local...

Old 04-01-2011, 07:43 PM

3,048 posts, read 3,317,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
They usually have a free day every year. I went 2 years ago...seems like it was in February. It's definitely worth a couple hours of your time. That said, I think it's extremely overpriced for whatever the normal admission price is. Seems like it was $30 or more. Not worth that...especially for a local...

General Admission is $19.99. The higher priced packages include the audio tour & a tour to Studio B.
For a local membership at $40 may be a better value if you go 2-3 times a year.

The museum does a much better job telling the history of country music. The Hank Williams exhibit may have held on too long in comparison to Ray Charles or other artists. The best value is on weekends when special events are held. AFAIK concerts in the Ford theater are included with admission.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:12 AM

26 posts, read 70,953 times
this is very discouraging. the lack of walkability. I live in Tokyo Japan and we might be relocating to Nashville. Here we can walk to anywhere and if we want to go anywhere else in the country we take a train, high speed or otherwise. If you make the city walkable and have downtown livable neighborhoods and not just for students people will move there, the city will grow, and the schools get better and everything else. People shouldn't have to home school.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
That's the way I see it right now...as much as I think illegal/undocumented immigration hurts America, a state with no income tax actually gets a softer blow when it comes to services...because the illegals don't have a choice but to pay taxes...and most of the revenue is from sales and property taxes.

No, things aren't perfect...but if there is an immigration issue, Tennessee will undoubtedly be hurt less than others.
But it also says something that even illegals don't want to live in TN

Old 04-02-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaH View Post
$1 breakfast and 50 cent hot dogs.

Nashville is also missing a good shopping area in the downtown core.
Brings up a good point -are there lots of street vendors? especially food.Farmers markets in the city? If there were reasons to walk in the city- basic reasons like buying fresh food etc that would make it more livable.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:37 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilldomain View Post
But it also says something that even illegals don't want to live in TN
What does it say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville